Anyone Else Just Starting?

Barleywine

The books that gave me some much-needed relief from beating my head against the Book of Thoth were:

The Qabalistic Tarot by Robert Wang
The Tarot: A Key to the Wisdom of the Ages by Paul Foster Case
A Practical Guide to Qabalistic Symbolism by Gareth Knight
The Mystical Qabalah by Dion Fortune
Kabbalistic Aphorisms by James Sturzaker
Q.B.L by Frater Achad (Charles Stansfeld Jones - Crowley's "Magical Child")

They aren't Thoth-centric (although Wang's is sympathetic), or even all tarot-centric, but they provide a more traditional GD-inspired overview of the qabalistic concepts that Crowley bends to his own purposes. They were all time well-spent and sent me back to the BoT with a better feel for what it is about.

Zephyros

Did I leave out the RWS? *smacks palm on forehead* :D

It's actually an interesting omission, :)
In order to really understand the Thoth, one is encouraged to understand the symbolic language through which Crowley speaks, which is almost wholly Golden Dawn. In other words, in order to get to the Thelemic side of the deck, you have to do a lot of ancillary study (this isn't to suggest that any Thelemite must also be an occultist, but that's another subject).

Any of the decks you mentioned provide ample study tools for this, in many cases more than the Thoth itself. The Hermetic, for example, provides a lot more attributions on the cards themselves. Yet people are still drawn to the Thoth. One could argue that as a strictly GD deck, the Thoth isn't unique, nor is it even the best. Yet people still gravitate towards it.

Richard

The books that gave me some much-needed relief from beating my head against the Book of Thoth were:....*snip*.....
In addition, I would dangle Bill Heidrick's annotated version of the Sepher Yetzirah before the eyes of those who are interested in the philosophical foundations of the Golden Dawn Tarot. Likewise, Scion's Guide to the Decans (for the GD Pips). (Did you ever manage to download the Scion, Barleywine?)

Quotidianlight

The books that gave me some much-needed relief from beating my head against the Book of Thoth were:

The Qabalistic Tarot by Robert Wang
The Tarot: A Key to the Wisdom of the Ages by Paul Foster Case
A Practical Guide to Qabalistic Symbolism by Gareth Knight
The Mystical Qabalah by Dion Fortune
Kabbalistic Aphorisms by James Sturzaker
Q.B.L by Frater Achad (Charles Stansfeld Jones - Crowley's "Magical Child")

They aren't Thoth-centric (although Wang's is sympathetic), or even all tarot-centric, but they provide a more traditional GD-inspired overview of the qabalistic concepts that Crowley bends to his own purposes. They were all time well-spent and sent me back to the BoT with a better feel for what it is about.

I am making a list of references to read over the next year and this list is very helpful. Thank you.

Zephyros

I am making a list of references to read over the next year and this list is very helpful. Thank you.

From the list, I would start with Dion Fortune, I found her to be the most approachable (except for the racism, but it's a kind of hilarious, completely oblivious, Victorian kind).

Barleywine

In addition, I would dangle Bill Heidrick's annotated version of the Sepher Yetzirah before the eyes of those who are interested in the philosophical foundations of the Golden Dawn Tarot. Likewise, Scion's Guide to the Decans (for the GD Pips). (Did you ever manage to download the Scion, Barleywine?)

Yes, I have it now. Thanks for the tip on the Sepher Yetzirah. I only have the W. Wynn Westcott translation.

Quotidianlight

From the list, I would start with Dion Fortune, I found her to be the most approachable (except for the racism, but it's a kind of hilarious, completely oblivious, Victorian kind).

Thanks for the heads up. As a black girl, I am kind of used to weird racism and appropriation is the occult but I do appreciate the warning.

Barleywine

Other people have said that too. It's been decades since I read it, and I don't recall the racism. Must have passed me right by. Now I'll have to go read it again to put that observation in perspective :)

Richard

Here is a plausible explanation of how racism based on skin color may arise unconsciously (even in otherwise enlightened, intelligent people). This theory seems particularly applicable to those who lean toward the occult.

Quotidianlight

Here is a plausible explanation of how racism based on skin color may arise unconsciously (even in otherwise enlightened, intelligent people). This theory seems particularly applicable to those who lean toward the occult.

Good article, when I was studying psychology as an undergrad my senior thesis studied internalized racism in people of color. It's pretty much everywhere for a bunch of evolutionary, cultural and subconscious reasons. In the occult communities, I've seen some pretty egregious examples though. I just take what I need and keep it moving, though sometimes I admit to shaking my head as I move it. This is actually one of the reasons I feel so comfortable with the Thoth imagery. I actually find many other decks actually offensive or just uncomfortable.