Cosmic Tribe - Fool

MeeWah

The Cosmic Tribe Fool conveys a sense of fearlessness (despite the airy-fairy appearance); a blythe spirit; a whole-hearted embrace of life; all is well with the world. Whereas the RSW Fool gives impressions that include obliviousness to the surroundings; stepping off the proverbial cliff with no regard for consequences; risk-taking; stepping out in faith; innocence.
I like the latter version as well. The two decks are good examples of the different takes or broader applications that can be obtained with the use of different decks.

Kyrielle

I agree with the insights you all have posted about the Fool's butterflyness. I'd like to add a bit, though: Butterfly wings are delicate. The Fool's wings don't look that fragile, but you have to watch that he doesn't snag them on something during his journey.

The dog, however, has bird wings, the type of wings often seen on pictures of angels. So this emphasizes the guardian angel aspect of the dog.

-- Kyrielle

kayne

Wow Kyrielle! great stuff! I had never thought of it that way - makes so much sense. Thanks for sharing. :D

Jewel

kayne said:
Wow Kyrielle! great stuff! I had never thought of it that way - makes so much sense. Thanks for sharing. :D

I had not thought of that either. Thanks Kyrielle!!! that makes perfect sense!

Jenny-Li

Fool's tattoo?

Hey!

I just got my Cosmic Tribe, and love the feel of it - have a feeling this will be a deck that I will love working with!

Someone mentioned the tattoo on the Fool's tummy - but wat is that symbol? Does anyone know? (I'm terribly bad at symbols, but very fascinated...!) What does it stand for?

I've written a long analysisof the card, will post that here too - it corresponds pretty much to what the rest of you already said, and Kyrielle's thought about the butterfly-wings I "stole" almost as it was (thank you!), but there might be something in there that might interest the rest of you. I intend to do similar analyses for all the cards, but... I don't know how long that will take. I think one card a day might be alittle overly-optimistic in this case...!

Light and love,
Jenny

Jenny-Li

Jenny-Li's 2 cents on the Fool...

The general feel for this card is joy, freedom and lightness - just like a Fool-card "should" be. The Fool is a man jumping/flying off a rock, chasing a big, green butterfly. The Fool has Butterfly-wings on his back and a big, happy smile on his face. His arms seem to embrace the world as he flies to greet Life. He is followed by a little dog, who has little bird- or angel wings on his back. Below the rock is water, blue, endless water, that blends at the horizon with a dramaticly clouded sky. Above the Fool's head is a pattern in the sky, like a flower or a mandala (or the pattern of iron dust on a piece of paper if you hold a magnet underneath the paper...!). In the water, right in front of the Fool, is a crocodile (or an alligator...? I can't really tell the difference...), its jaws are opened, showing all of its sharp deadly teeth. From within the crocodile's inside a hand reaches out, holding a brightly pink flower that radiates with light.

The Butterfly wings on the Fool's back:
Freedom, unlimited possibilities to make of your life what you want to. The world is open for you, open to discover, open to be your playground, your flowery meadow...! (The butterfly wings could also suggest a fragile freedom, that there are no guarantees that this innocent joy will last forever, on the contrary it's very essence may be that it is a passing, volatile joy. Savour it, don't let it go, but also don't try to hold on to it tightly, because you would crush it in your hand. This idea is partly stolen from someone at the AT, just have to mention that. This was the only thing that I couldn't quite shake off when I sat down, searching for my own thoughts.)

The Fool's posture and facial expression:
He signals life, motion, joy and love of life, just the way it is. He rushes towards the universe, embracing it. He is not bound by what he is supposed to do or think or feel about things, he just is what he is.

The dog:
I see in the dog not a nay-sayer or someone trying to stop our Fool from doing the unthinkable (which is exactly what Fools do, unthinkable things...!), but a wannabe-follower. One who admires from afar, but may not quite possess the courage to give up on the security of the rock (symbolism discussed below) - just yet. (The AT-person felt the dogs wings were more stable, less fragile than the Fool's butterfly wings, but I think they are just too small to carry the dog...!) These people can be supportive, cheering the person who dares what they wish they'd dare - OR they could be the Fool's worst enemies, jealously doing anything they can to keep him down, prove him wrong to dance off the rock like that.

The pattern in the sky above the Fool's head:
There's a swedish saying that goes something like this: "God holds his hands over Fools and drunken people". That's how I read that pattern. That the Universe will see your courage and reward it through synchronicity - by giving you hints and opportunities along your way.

The butterfly the Fool is chasing:
Following your dreams and impulses, never mind the rules and norms, the musts and shoulds. Letting one's inner child play in full freedom. The butterfly itself is the Dream, our fantasy, our creativeness, our "being all we can be" in the creative/spiritual sense of the word - filling our spiritual purpose by following our hearts.

The crocodile:
Danger, risk. The Fool follows his dreams, but that is no guarantee that everything will go his way, there will always be plenty of possible hardships along the way. The foolishness of the Fool is that he practically doesn't see it his eyes are focused on the butterfly, he seems to completely overlook the crocodile that lurks in the water, right beneath his feet.

The water:
Our Fool looks like he's about to walk on water... Water is usually a symbol for emotion AND of the unconcious that is our link to the eternal and spiritual, to the Universe. He is the key, the vessel on the spiritual journey. He is the ship in which we must set out on this journey.

The rock:
This is the world as we can perceive it with our bodily senses, the society, the norms, the knowledge we take for granted, all the stuff that make up our outer references. Our physical, tangible world. It is stable, yet rigid and offers little opportunity for real development and growth.

The labyrinth on the rock's front side:
We can very easily get lost in the world if the physical and tangible is all that we allow ourselves to refer to. Without the reference to that which is symbolized by the water, we are perhaps bound to get lost. The rock itself isn't enough to keep us on track.

The hand with the flower in the crocodile's mouth:
The beauty of life is in daring, growth is in facing and overcoming difficulties. The Fool's journey leads ahead even if at times it also must pass hardship and fear and difficulties.

The dramatic sky:
The Fool's world is an ever changing world, where you will at least never be bored or stagnate. But prepare for quite a ride, there may be some scary parts of the ride too.

kayne

*Excellent Stuff Jenny-Li!* Great to have you on board! :D

As for the tattoo, I think the model actually has that tattoo on him because it reappears on one of the people in the Wheel... But, being on the card, whether intentional or not, I think it has significance... To me it looks like a cosmic triskele spiril and I guess it has a similar meaning to the labyrinth but also suggests the movement and dynamics of the universe but moving in a balanced way.

What does everyone else think the tat might mean?

Maan

Hello all, i's working my way through all the post here, you all got a lot of info here Pfff ;)

what i notice the most in the cosmic tribe fool is that he is not grounded. In most decks the fool is falling of but still has a connection with the earth somewhere. In this card he is not yet connected with the element earth, no conciousness of himself, his body etc.
( that how i see it anyway) In this card he is more connected with the air and he had not even a toe on the earth. He looks free from our relality...

oke just my two cents

Hedera

Just finished re-reading this thread.
I really enjoyed taking in all the different ideas. :)

The longer I have this deck, the more I value it!

I keep thinking at the blue and red and yellow markings on the Fool's face.... anyone any ideas about what they could signify? I can't really come up with anything concrete, but combined with those little stubby horns he has, it sort of reminds me a little of the masks worn by the people in the Healing tarot.

Somehow, even though his face is still visible, it seems to turn him into something more than just that particular guy, as if behind the face paint could be the face of any one of us....

I really love the way the toes of his left foot point upwards, it looks so cheerful and like he's just brimming with energy and fun. It reminds me of the 'Happy Feet' excercise from the Tarot for Self Discovery book (Nina Lee Braden).

This guy's got happy feet! :)