the jungian tarot hierophant

HOLMES

the father as law giver

"the father who creates rules, your attitude towards regulations and the parent who states them"

here i feel that is that true to a certain extent , but the old mythos of the father being the ruler of the family and the head of the household is changing.
example take my big fat greek wedding for example
"your father may be the head but i am the neck that turns the head " paraphrasing the main character mother.
i would liken it to ideally the father take care of the outward world and the mother takes care fo the inner world such clean up your room every day, wash the dishess, take a shower every day
the father is more like you will go to school, go to university and lives by my rules as long as you live under my house.
in my house when i was a child we saw it as fun time to my step bad got home and then we were scared to be noisy and never hardly went upstairs from the rooms which were in the basements.
so the father could of been opressive in many household.

"this is a difficult concept relating to a gnostic concept of demiurge which supposes that illusion of the material condition are not created by a suprem being (god the father ) but by a lesser creator who (erroneously)believes himself to be supreme.
the crossed band on his breast were , until recently, a sign of the catholic priest obedience to higher church authority"

i can hear the phrases, i am the head of this house, i am the king of the castle, i am the ruler of my domain (that last one came from sienfield which was about how we cant' control our sexual urges ). it is true at work the boss is the supreme being, the supervisor under him is the being in his individual world .

looking at the last comment of the sing of the obedience to higher church authority. one sees the chain of command, which is shown all through the heirachy of the world. and not even in the word but also the 9 levels of angels for example.
is the hierophant about following the chain of command ?
go to a priest who is the overseer of god, and his bible is the regulations we are to follow. and the priest has a higher church authority which brings to me the ideal of the movie stigmata.

there the church head was quoted as saying "i won't let you destroy my church " and it was about this one phrase,
"the church is within you and all around, not in break and stone "
(paraphrasing again )
which in the movie would break the chain of command from the individual and the source, no interprator or messenger.

then again if we all could do that , there would be no need of the tarot readers, astrologers, teachers and leaders.

and there is why the tarot heirophant is a necessar teaching which says that we are not all ready to go straight to the soruce, so we need defination of it in order to percieve it as we can.
(then as we grow our definations changes, which the sterotype of the church head doens't like )
or any teacher who teaches not a way but the way ,

"the hierophant is seated on a thrown, and is crowned witht he triple tiara of a pope, as which as become traditional. the hierophant has always been related to the formal (i.e. restrictive) practics and authority of organized religions"laws"that are often more arbitrary and culturally- determined then they are representative of universal truths "

our laws has changed as has our culture awareness and spiritual teachings. we change with the times or become stagnant and that is true of the spiritual teachings of society as well.

"he is the one who demands attention and respect and who makes pronouncements with the absolute assurance that they are right "

the heirophant is one of my favourite cards, but this is a message to beware making what you study "law" for you will grow and learn, and so what may of seem absololutely right now will be questioned later. look at how testment has changed, the church postion on things. the govenerment stance on things . and we as the father aspects of our family changes our stance on many things every day.

"in the hierophant right hand is a small figure representing original man (the lovers)this is the potentially pefected self which will evolve within the restrictions of the earth- a condition created by the hieorphant. "

here the restrictions of earth is the condition created by the father as the lawgiver and that is what stops us from seeing ourselve as the earth , and our inner self as the earth and the analyzing of that innerself.
to understand nature and the world is deemed seperate then godly. but if you combined together that is double the power. (and nature would be the goddess aspects as well )

"generally it represents authority -an employer, a teacher, or some other figure in control. it may mean a government, a person or a body , which hands laws controlling the individual and society . "

once church people were judges and had much to do with the laws and still those essences are with us today.
(i may be off about the judges, but i recall them being involved with poltics(some preachers still do this , and make example of inviduals within the town for example )

"while the emperor is the father as law maker, the heirophant is is the father as law giver. this distinction is an important one because ultimatley the heiorphant is an adminstrator, he is an intergral part of the organization"

here the message we do not do it that way , adhere to society rules comes to mind, and the rules of the regulations set in the bible or other religous texts.
for while this image is predominetly catholic/christian. every culture and nation has their heirophant which says we do not do it that way , it is frowned upon.

"the emperor works for himself,he is a creative free-agent. but the heirophant works for a large organziation who rules he upholds strictly , althought he is parodoxically unaware that is the case"

who is the heirophant anyways ? eh is the man who is saying don't do that in the police department trying to uphold the morals to other cops. he is the man who is not only to uphold the the rules but is trying to remain morally good by the definatios of the rules.

"the personality which we encounter may be variously benevolent, just, thoughtful and kind. or he may be highhanded, egocentric, and even sadistic"

not all heirophants are created equal this says and so prepare for the highhanded, egocentric, and a bit sadistic would be the way of the closeminded, my way is the only way , no bending of the regulations heirophant. and such people would cause guide people usally fear, anger,and power. rather then truth of their living .

"we must deal with the hierophant in whateve garb of temperment he may appear. by doing so, we work out our own relationship to authority. how do we feel about conntrol in our lives? do we resent those who attempt to impose structure on us, feeling that it restricts our creative freedom?
or do we need the psychological support of exterman regulations."

we must realize that the heirophants we meet in our lives times are just like us as well and human. they have their bad days and their good days.
but it is consistency we seek.

using the tarot as an example
there are those feel the tarot cannot be defiend by a system of understanding,that is an anti heirophant energies.
and there are those who embrace the system and say it works.
and those who say that is not for me and goes to find something totally new.

HOLMES

the hierophant/lawgiver medition
the sun behind the throne in the clouds shows that i as the heirophant feel that which i communicate comes from the highest authority and therefore beyond contestation.

yet one can see the sun face fully and so the even the highest authority that we percieve is not the full essence of what could be and what is .

the clouds suggest that we intentially viel the source or how things come about so they can not be questioned. it is with the air element that shows what was true at one moment is not necessary true at another moment and that is where the illusions come from .

the mandala shows the holy star of david "least i percieve it to be " it is shown to be red , rooted in the conconscious of man. in the middle of yellow light of the will charka.
to under the holyness of the universe we need to ground our will and our thoughts in the earth and the world or they do not have a basis for reality.

who created man , and who created the world .
sure the earth was created by a higher source. but the world that we percieve comes from our short comings, our dream and our desires. and this was a process of the hieorphants of the ancestors over the years. to stay true to the source of one teachings and yet evolve with the times is an hard ideal to put into pratice.

and the hierophant holds the man in the other hand. he is surrounded by divine fire. which shows we could consider where the divine fire comes from but we won't be able to look at the sun directly or the holy light and therefore it may be best off to focus on the fire itself rather then the source until we evolve. then we will be able to percieve the truth more vividely and more truly .

if the law comes from the purest of intentions shouldnt' it be still be question if it affects so many ?

"the law giver is not the law giver it once was. once our word was law for anyone to questin would be burned or purged in the old days.
now we are ourselves are questioning ourselves the hierophant of the world wherefore does your laws come from ? does it come from love, from logic, from power egoism. one hierophant is not not equal with another and so to follow the way of one hierophant is a limiting source overall and so that is why one moves on to the next card after they have learned all they could from me and decided to move on to explore past the book "