Proposal - Rohrig Study Anyone???

Little Baron

I have just re-developed a love affair with the Rohrig tarot deck.

It was the first deck that I bought and anybody that has read any previous posts that I have written regarding this deck, will know that a handful of cards disappointed me when I first unwrapped it.

This disappointment lead to the cards (even though I did read with them for a year or so after purchase) being wrapped in a box for many years while I discovered many other decks. This was not completely a bad thing because I created a base of knowlege of the tarot from decks such as The Rider Waite and Morgan Greer, which has been invaluable. I think that the Rohrig, for me as a beginner then, was a little too complex.
With this base knowledge, I collected my cards from my house in London yesterday and brought them back here to my parents home. Before I went to bed, I unlocked them from their box, which has been their 'lonely home' for the past six years and completely fell into them. The handful of cards that I had previously been disappointed by turned out to be just one - 8 of Swords (Interferance) and even that didn't seem to bother me anymore. There is such strength, symbolism, elegance and depth to the other 77 cards (and that certain 78th) that I began to wonder why I had bothered flirting with so many other decks. I suppose, like a lot of us, I had been searching for 'the one' and just didn't realise that the first deck that ever 'really' spoke to me was right under my nose. I pretty much fell into that deck last night before I went to sleep.

I read with The Universal Waite deck mainly. I have a copy of The Thoth and it seemed useful last night to put the three decks side by side and compare the differences and simularities.

I will continue to use the Waite deck but would also like to make the Rohrig my other main reading deck (even if only for personal use and special/more personal others). There has been a lot of talk about this deck recently and I know that on this board there are a lot of Rohrig readers. With this in mind, I am sure that there are people that would like to study it and that there are people that I could learn SO MUCH from.

So ... the ball is in your court ... anybody interested???

I have read other proposals in this section and firstly, hope that I have posted in the correct thread. Secondly, if anyone is up for it, maybe a few suggestions about how we go about it would be appreciated.

If you read this and do not want to study but either have the deck or any views on it, those opinions would also be helpful and interesting.

Thanks to you all.
Best wishes

Yaboot

divinerguy

I'm in.

Emily

Hi Yaboot,

Is your Rohrig the unedited version, the one that has full nudity? When I ordered mine from Amazon I hoped I would get the original version but it was not to be, but saying that the Rohrig is one of my favourite decks, not my main reading deck but a comfort deck.
If a study group takes off, count me in, it'll tie in nicely with the Thoth and Rider Waite study groups I use. :)

Ruby Red Slippers

Count me it too.
Would love to learn to read with this deck!
Ruby Red Slippers

soiitaire

I'd like to be included too.

I've always loved this deck. And hey, where can I get the deck with the full nudity???

Soiitaire

Little Baron

Hi everyone

Hi everyone

Thanks for your responses.

When I bought my deck, I was unaware that was different versions so I have the edited version. There was a thread on here once about the 'pantyless' Rohrig - in particular, it's nude Hanged Man, but I don't know which thread it was in. I think that there were suggestions in it about where you could obtain a copy.

How do we want to do this? Do we want to randomly post cards or do we want to work through the majors and then the minors? How often do we want to post a card? One a week? More than one? In some decks, it is possible to move relatively quickly but with this one, I wonder if a slower method would be beneficial so that we can absorb the cards and all of their details as intended.
One for a week or even longer might be a good suggestion so that we can learn, reflect, and post experiences when it falls into our general spreads. What do you think? I do have university work to do this summer but do have time to study tarot as well. I know that others don't have so much free time.

Does anybody have the accompanying book? I have heard that it doesnt go into any more detail than the LWB that comes with the deck when examining the minor cards, but their are some useful insights into the majors. If my overdraft lets me, I will try to pick it up today when I go to London.

Thanks again for your responses. I am very excited that we can finally begin to learn from this deck and share our experiences.

Best wishes

Yaboot

darwinia

Suggestions

I have one suggestion. Everybody starts with the Majors and I prefer starting with the Minors because they often get liitle discussion either in study or in books. They are often treated like afterthoughts, so in my mind that's really the place that needs study. I understand in the Rohrig book that they also get a passing mention and most of the discussion centres on the Majors. I don't have the book, but it seems to me that the Minors are where study is needed whether you have the book or not.

Also, in our Wheel of Change study group that Belladonna started, we are working through the minors by card number and discussing all four suits at once in a thread. I like that approach as it allows for an overall comparison on the Aces, twos etc. and moves along a bit quicker.

This approach using both these suggestions would be my preference since if I'm going to use the energy to study I'd like to feel I'm accomplishing that, and accomplishing it in a shorter time so I can get reading with the deck.

Thanks

p.s. If you like the approach I outlined, would someone like to start with the Aces and post a few thoughts and then others can add their insights and "takes" on the cards ? Once a week we can do a new Minor and then continue with the Majors with each having its own thread. I'd start now but some people hate this idea of starting with the Minors--for me it makes much more sense since they get such little attention. I risk being labelled pushy, but if we're going to start let's just do it!

darwinia

Major Order

Just one more thought on studying the Majors. If we do them after the Minors how about doing them backwards from The World back to The Fool?

Shake it up a bit, skew the pattern, search for the asymmetrical insight, the fresh view, the new order, rather than the same old thing. It seems to me that regular patterns produce rote rather than individual perception. How about something different?

We could even do a similar thing with the Minors and start with the tens or the Court cards. There are all kinds of possibilities to render a more imaginative response.

Thoughts?

divinerguy

Re: Suggestions

freesiaskye said:
Also, in our Wheel of Change study group that Belladonna started, we are working through the minors by card number and discussing all four suits at once in a thread. I like that approach as it allows for an overall comparison on the Aces, twos etc. and moves along a bit quicker
Sounds like a good idea. Some of the study groups lose their zip after a few cards, so this might be a way to shake things up a bit and keep the interest level alive.

darwinia

Re: Re: Suggestions

divinerguy said:
Some of the study groups lose their zip after a few cards, so this might be a way to shake things up a bit and keep the interest level alive.

Yeah, exactly. I've been on several lists and forums and everybody starts with the Fool. I've studied the Fool about six times. I'd like to examine something else and get away form the canned formulae.

Also, this forum provides an ideal setting for study because the people are truly interested in the subject. The trick is to keep it from degenerating into chat or petering out through lack of effort. Part of that feeling of effort is "Oh God, not the Fool again" which permeates when the same formula is used over and over again for study. I want to know about these cards, let's get to a different pattern before the brain stultifies. This isn't school and I'm an adult and quite capable of thinking without a lesson plan.

You don't have to be particularly serious. I think D-guy you might remember we spoke in another thread about one of these Rohrig cards and I was not terribly serious at all. <g> But if we're going to start a study group let's study and get some thoughts rolling without sticking to boring convention. Aces up?

Rah, rah, sis-boom-ba.