Lenormand - wher eis the dark side?

MareSaturni

Lenormand - dark side of the clouds

Hi!

Me and my Lenormand/Titania questions again. It seems i can't stop, can i? Sorry :")

Anyway, i have one deck - and don't ask me the name or where you can find it because i believe it's a...pirate deck, if such thing even exists - and although i like it because it's not too big nor too expensive, so i can carry it in my bag and use it without having to be way too careful, i still cannot see which side of the Cloud card is darker. What do you think?

The picture is here: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v213/frengers/yuko/clouds.jpg

I'm sorry for the terrible quality (the card is not so orange - the border is white, actually), i had to take a picture of it. Anyway, i think the left side is 'darker' because it has more...clouds?

What do you see? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Love,

Yuko

alteredego

The right side is traditionally the dark side

Some reproductions of the deck make it very difficult to determine, some are very clear and in the case of the Piatnik Lenormand, the dark clouds are on the wrong side.

Hope this helps :)

stella01904

MM ~ The clouds look ever so slightly darker on the right-hand side, and you also have that mountain looming there, so I would go with that. Is your deck old? It reminds me a bit of my Carreras cigarrette cards, kind of an early 1900's look. And don't worry about a "right" or "wrong" side for clouds. Just go with what the deck you're reading has. I learned Petit Jeu by corresponding online with people in Europe, where it is quite common, and nobody worries about that over there. A lot of readers prefer Piatnik, you get good quality card stock, playing card insets and no poems. BB, Stella

alteredego

stella01904 said:
MM ~ The clouds look ever so slightly darker on the right-hand side, and you also have that mountain looming there, so I would go with that. Is your deck old? It reminds me a bit of my Carreras cigarrette cards, kind of an early 1900's look. And don't worry about a "right" or "wrong" side for clouds. Just go with what the deck you're reading has. I learned Petit Jeu by corresponding online with people in Europe, where it is quite common, and nobody worries about that over there. A lot of readers prefer Piatnik, you get good quality card stock, playing card insets and no poems. BB, Stella

The Piatnik deck is beautiful. I have shyed away from it because of this card in particular.
Many of the decks that I have seen since I became interested in the Lenormand style decks seem to be ambiguous - it is hard to determine which side of the clouds are dark.

How do you use this card in a reading? Do you interpret it based soley on surrounding cards? I have to say that I prefer this method of the "big picture" as opposed to proximity from the questioner, and it has thus far produced a nice result as far as the accuracy of the reading...

stella01904

alteredego said:
How do you use this card in a reading? Do you interpret it based soley on surrounding cards?
MM ~ Not soley. It affects the neighboring cards, though. It doesn't have to mean "misfortune" like all the books say. It could just be a kind of muddiness around the situation. If you're trying to find out "whodunnit" and the dark side is facing the cards that represent the situation, it could mean that it will be very hard to find out, no one is talking. You'd also take the King of Clubs into account. The bright side would show the situation clearing, "the clouds are blowing away". If you do a big spread, don't worry about all that "near and far from the significator" stuff. Look for the Heart and read the cards around it for love, look at the cards around the Tree for health and family issues, etc.
I have to say that I prefer this method of the "big picture" as opposed to proximity from the questioner, and it has thus far produced a nice result as far as the accuracy of the reading...
I think the confusion starts with the LWB's and the fact that the only Lenormand book you can easily find in English is Titania's. To be fair, I haven't read it, but I've seen a lot of people posting here who seem lost, who have that book. Just going by proximity from the significator doesn't work. Of course if you did a big spread and your consultant was worried about possible legal problems, and the Mountains, Bear, etc. were all far away, you could tell them not to worry, but they would still be read in relation to their neighboring cards. Hope this helps. BB, Stella

alteredego

stella01904 said:
MM ~ Not soley. It affects the neighboring cards, though. It doesn't have to mean "misfortune" like all the books say. It could just be a kind of muddiness around the situation. If you're trying to find out "whodunnit" and the dark side is facing the cards that represent the situation, it could mean that it will be very hard to find out, no one is talking. You'd also take the King of Clubs into account. The bright side would show the situation clearing, "the clouds are blowing away". If you do a big spread, don't worry about all that "near and far from the significator" stuff. Look for the Heart and read the cards around it for love, look at the cards around the Tree for health and family issues, etc. I think the confusion starts with the LWB's and the fact that the only Lenormand book you can easily find in English is Titania's. To be fair, I haven't read it, but I've seen a lot of people posting here who seem lost, who have that book. Just going by proximity from the significator doesn't work. Of course if you did a big spread and your consultant was worried about possible legal problems, and the Mountains, Bear, etc. were all far away, you could tell them not to worry, but they would still be read in relation to their neighboring cards. Hope this helps. BB, Stella

It does. I have Titana's book. I have found some of the information in it helpful particularly for interpreting card combinations, but I have also been using cartomancy books for additional reference as the ones I have make reference to Lenormand's method of reading. It would be wonderful if there was something in English that was more in depth and traditional. There is a Lenormand deck that is supposed to be out for sale here in August, I know there is a book set as well. I have no idea if the book set will be available but it would be nice for something else to comapre with...

Of course, the most invaluable information is from people such as yourself who have a familiarity with the deck. Thanks for sharing :)

MareSaturni

stella01904 said:
Is your deck old? It reminds me a bit of my Carreras cigarrette cards, kind of an early 1900's look. And don't worry about a "right" or "wrong" side for clouds. Just go with what the deck you're reading has

I think it is a pretty old deck. I don't find Piatnik anywhere here where i live, so i have to stick to those made here ;o)
I knew that the right side was traditionally the 'dark' side, but for that left side always...looked darker. Weird, huh?

It looks like you know a lot about Lenormand...thanks for answering. I hope to learn more from you!

Love,

~Yuko