Need help choosing first TdM deck

Irischacha

Hi all,

I am interested in Enrique Enriquez's reading of and views on TdM so I'm looking into my first deck. I've done a lot of reading here on the forum and here are the decks I'm considering:

Flornoy's Dodal
Flornoy's Noblet
Tarot de Marselle-Piatnik
Vieville--Patrick Coq

Could anyone guide me? Your favorite of these? The best for learning and studying?

Many thanks!

P.S. I posted this in the wrong forum earlier and apologize for the redundancy!

Wendywu

The Marseilles Seekers threads here were started by EE, and are exercises for a group of people who were learning his method. I am currently working my way through them.

EE recommends the Noblet but told the members doing the exercises to use whichever TdM they had, but if they did happen to have a Noblet, then that was the deck he would prefer they used.

If you decide to do the exercises, the essays EE refers to are no longer on line but can be found in his Tarology book.

Le Fanu

No! Wait! Let the other members here have their input before it gets technical!

I'd go for either the Noblet or Dodal. Both lovely and clear and tactile and everything you could ever want in a TdM

The Piatnik bothers me because it isn't very clear and has lines missing . I like to see the eyes and where they're peering.

Vieville not strictly Marseilles but beautiful nonetheless.

Irischacha

The Marseilles Seekers threads here were started by EE, and are exercises for a group of people who were learning his method. I am currently working my way through them.

EE recommends the Noblet but told the members doing the exercises to use whichever TdM they had, but if they did happen to have a Noblet, then that was the deck he would prefer they used.

If you decide to do the exercises, the essays EE refers to are no longer on line but can be found in his Tarology book.

Thank you! I've ordered the book and bookmarked the exercises. I do like the size of the Noblet. But, then, also love the images from the Dodal.

Irischacha

No! Wait! Let the other members here have their input before it gets technical!

I'd go for either the Noblet or Dodal. Both lovely and clear and tactile and everything you could ever want in a TdM

Thanks for this! I am leaning toward the Dodal, I think. Love the strangeness of those images. I do like the size of the Noblet, but I'm guessing the images should be my priority.

BTW, I really love your blog. I found it when I was reading reviews of the Wild Unknown and it really helped to reignite my interest in tarot.

shaveling

A lot depends on what sort of studying and learning you have in mind. I think that Enrique Enriquez favors the Noblet, so if you are mostly studying in terms of his approach, it makes sense to use the deck he's using. But for further consideration you might want to know these things:

The Flornoy Noblet has unusually small cards.

The Flornoy Dodal has unusually large cards.

The Noblet and Dodal are what people call TdM Type I decks. That's considered the older pattern. A lot of the decks we see now are the Type II decks. The Piatnik TdM belongs to that tradition, although the coins on the Seven of Coins are arranged in a pattern different from other TdM's.

Of the decks on your list, the Vieville is the least like any other TdM. As the website says, "C’est surtout un tarot atypique." If your learning includes working with the mainstream of TdM imagery, this one wouldn't be of much help.

Wendywu

It's well worth reading the first post in the various exercise threads, doing your own exercise and then reading what everyone else came up with. I didn't want my thoughts to be influenced too much by other peoples' work but at the same time I wanted to read what they'd done, and what EE had said throughout the various threads.

Reading the threads is great fun, but I'd definitely recommend doing the work as well as just reading about it :)

Wendywu

Nothing wrong with using the Noblet for this work, and then later on perhaps getting yourself a Dodal too :).

Irischacha

Of the decks on your list, the Vieville is the least like any other TdM. As the website says, "C’est surtout un tarot atypique." If your learning includes working with the mainstream of TdM imagery, this one wouldn't be of much help.

Thank you! I'm crossing Vieville off the list, at least until I get familiar with the more typical cards. Still leaning toward Dodal. I'm hoping that deck will be adaptable to EE's approach. I don't feel as strongly drawn to the Noblet images for some reason. Hmm.

Irischacha

Nothing wrong with using the Noblet for this work, and then later on perhaps getting yourself a Dodal too :).

Now THAT is a very good point! :)

And thanks for the advice about the exercises and book. I'm going to hold off on looking closely at either until I get my deck (decks?), and then I will definitely follow your advice.

Much appreciated!