Visconti Sforza - Seeing the Money in Trump #1

OnePotato

I see a basket with a spiral-wound rim, and traditional basket-weave body.
(If anybody feels like googling for alms baskets, or Medieval basketry, I expect that might be enlightening.)

As Debra says, if the artist had wanted to paint something unusual, such as the unusually configured pile of coins that you are describing, I have every confidence that he would have been a lot more careful about how he chose to render it. (I base this assumption on the general quality of the rest of the work.)

I don't think this is due to any sort of preconceived notions I have.

Bernice

Does anyone else have the chinese printing of this deck? If so, do other cards with ambiguous 'items' appear to have been 'clarified'?

Just wondering.......

Bee :)

gregory

Teheuti said:
I'll try a high-res scan from FMR.

It worked!
And that does NOT look like coins to me. I can see why someone who wanted to see coins might see them - I can even see what they think are coins - but - no. They would be more obviously so, as debra says. I reckon on the mediaeval basket, too. And I can't have been preprogrammed to see that as it would never have occurred to me, and it COULD still be a hat or even a pile of breadcrumbs, looking at it !

Rosanne

I have just read a thread where someone saw someone on the roof of the castle in the RWS. You see what you see- sometimes it is like inkblots.

Let us say it is a pile of coins.....what is the knife for, the stick or pen in his hand? Look down at the chest he is sitting on- the trefoil is quite clear.
If you look at the cards as a whole (22) you will get a sense of a story - with lots of detail. Explain to me the story of a pile of coins in that shape. Maybe we could compromise? It is a money hat?
I have been trying to find the thread where I say why I think it is a straw hat and have come to the conclusion it was on another forum.

Basically in Lombardy you have a tradition, that recognises unpaid debts by the holding of a straw hat. A group of workers, who had not been paid, would on Saint John the Baptists feast day, march past their patron with their straw hat held over their chest and that would embarrass the patron hopefully into paying the owed sum. This guy is saying this is a story of an unpaid debt- look I am waiting for payment- pay me (with my bride Bianca :D)
This is an honour debt. You promised to pay and once more you have reneged. I want my marriage contract you SOB (Future father in Law) See there is no paper under his pen? No wonder he looks so sad.

~Rosanne

conversus

Rosanne:

I wish that you would share the whole story, Rosanne!

Happy New Year!!!

CED

gregory

conversus said:
Rosanne:

I wish that you would share the whole story, Rosanne!
Me too - that makes SO much more sense !

Bernice

Rosanne: I have been trying to find the thread where I say why I think it is a straw hat and have come to the conclusion it was on another forum.
I also thought you had posted here in a thread which discussed the 'pile' - and I couldn't find it either. But it didn't mention the Lombardy custom, many thanks Rosanne :)

Bee :)