Comparative exercise

Rusty Neon

Shalott said:
really, the MAIN question that came out of my exercise it where did his color scheme come from, as it's the BIGGEST difference between his deck and any other - actually closer to the 1880 colors, which wouldn't seem to be consistent the goal of recreating a pre-Dodal Ur or Proto (would that be better?).

If it's important for you to know, I'm sure you can ask Diana and she'll be more than happy to ask Hadar.

I compared two cards at random. The Hadar's Strength bears some colour similarities to that of the 1880 Conver, whereas the Hadar's Popess card doesn't bear colour similarities to that of the 1880 Conver.

Shalott said:
But it was also that color scheme which initially attracted me, easier on the eyes to someone who isn't used the brightness of a Camoin - which I am now finding more attractive.

I'm no expert in this, but the bright colours may well be how an 18th century woodcut deck actually looked like in its own time. J-C Flornoy's masterful reproductions of the Dodal and the Noblet major arcana have bright colours too. Recall also the restoration of the artwork in the Vatican's Sistine Chapel which uncovered bright colours underneath.

I really can't wait for the Heron Conver now!

Indeed, it's a great deck which, along with the Dusserre Dodal (that you already have), I highly recommend.

But then, why have the photoreproductions for study purposes and not compare/contrast them?

I certainly encourage that and, in fact, I enjoy doing that as well. :)

Maybe it's my own preconceived notions, but I tend to see the photoreproductions for study and the "recreations" for actual reading...

I, too, find the antique deck photoreproductions (and the so-called restorations!) are a bit distracting when it comes to actual reading or working with the cards. For those purposes, I prefer modern re-drawings that closely follow the historic patterns, e.g.:

Conver pattern: Marteau 1930 (Dusserre) [beautiful; my favourite re-drawn deck]; Grimaud (which is Marteau too); Fournier.

Dodal pattern: U.S. Games/Carta Mundi

I think I will just have use the Dodal to try to get over that! :) (Even though I know the deck itself is new, it looks so ancient I'm afraid to shuffle it...silly, I know...)

The Dodal Dusserre looks like a pretty sturdy deck; but keep your coffee far away from it. :)

For modern re-drawings of the Dodal, there's always "your favourite :)" U.S. Games/Carta Mundi re-drawn deck ....

Shalott

Seriously, what I REALLY want, and am waiting with baited breath (I hate that term but can't think of a better one at this moment :) ) for, is for Flornoy to complete the 78 card REAL restoration of "Doodle." I am debating whether I want to spend 80 + US Bucks on the 22-card version. I'm sure it's worth it, but, budget, ya know.

Just looking at the colors, even the faded, bleeding all over the place 303-year old colors of the Dusserre, there was a lot of variation, even dimension. I can't help but believe they were as bright as Camoin's in their day.

"Doodle." P-shaw. Those Doodlings have more meaning than many of the brilliantly artistic, gorgeous decks I've seen. A bit crude at first glance, yes...but then there's so much more...

Oh, another thing I suddenly remember noticing, in Dodal's Chariot, the horses seem to be looking AT each other...I say "seem" because there's a bit of fading there and it's hard to be 100% sure.

Cute thing about Camoin: the lady in La Force has a finger IN the lion's nose...

Sophie

Fulgour said:
I've been hearing some irate scoffers lately saying
we're koo koo for Dodal, or calling Dodal a doodler.
But for anyone who has worked and studied long
and hard to develop an understanding of Marseille,
Dodal is the anchor to which all else must answer.

From the scans I have seen, Dodal's is undoubtedly an attaching deck. But I am curious as to why you would call it the anchor (better word than Ur!!) - rather than, say, Noblet, given Noblet is older, and more vigorous in style - closer, possibly, to the older renaissance models. The European 18th C. (which is almost to say the French 18th century, such was the dominance of French culture in Europe at that time) sanitised many things in culture, and tarot was no exception, if one compares the cards available. Two examples jump to mind: Le Mât, where Noblet has the animal biting the fool's genitals, emphasising the animal quality of both beast and man; and the XIII-La Mort in Noblet, a heritage of the Danses Macabres of the 14th-15th C. if ever I saw one: Dodal politely removed it. This reminds me of what happened in French comic theatre, which changed hugely from the cruel and crude farces of the 17th C. (direct descendents of the farces of the Moyen Age and of the Commedia del'Arte, very popular in France), to the cleaner, less anarchic popular comedies of the 18th C., though the people still preferred the old unsubtle stuff.

I am not a tarotist, but I wonder why the 18th century - Dodal, Payen or Conver - is the TdM lynchpin for those who are. Undoubtedly the artist who drew the Dodal was more accomplished that the one who did the Noblet model; likewise, as Flornoy points out, between the Conver and the Dodal, but I didn't think you would say that's one of the criteria applied. Noblet has popular vitality that the others lack. So what are the criteria? If we found tomorrow a tarot pack in the Marseille style dating back to 1600 that had features found later, while others had been removed by Dodal or Conver to conform to decency laws or for the sake of aesthetics, or for some reason of their own, would that qualify as a TdM, and an anchor?

As for restorations/recreations - I agree the latter word is better. But if the old woodblocks of the 16th-17th centuries (and possibly before) were destroyed by the time Dodal's carver got to work (no doubt under the strict influence of Mme de Maintenon), so all he might have had was Noblet's model, which he had to sanitise, can we not also say that Dodal and Conver are also "recreations?" Elements which we might consider crucial for an initiatory or divinatory understanding of the cards (the Pances/Papesses' egg, the Mât's genitals), appear and disappear, numbers of flower petals vary, Valets are indoors or outdoors, etc. Since much of the card interpretations are founded on such details, then can we ever be certain that we are interpreting "TdM iconogaphy and symbolism", rather than simply one version of it? It seems to me much of the quarrel around finding an Ur or anchor, takes place because admitting that there several, not one TdM, as well as hybrid Marseille-Besançon, etc., would destroy any pretension to a beautiful unified pythagorician system of ancient esoteric symbols and mathematics. As Rusty said - diversity in unity; unity in diversity.

Edited after reading the another post of Shalott: the above remarks bear on the choice of colours as well.

Shalott

Hijacking my own thread

Lessee, if the art is growing increasingly sophisticated, not only in all of Tarot but for our purposes, historical Marseille type, then what was pre-Noblet? Perhaps the Stick Figure tarot really IS the UR!!! http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/stick-figure/

(Just kidding)

Shalott

Grr...thanks O Font Helvetica...I just did some figuring and realized I can afford one of Flornoy's refreshed majors decks...now I have to actually THINK about which one! :)

HEY that didn't work out to be as much as I thought! YIPEE

Sophie

Shalott said:
Lessee, if the art is growing increasingly sophisticated, not only in all of Tarot but for our purposes, historical Marseille type, then what was pre-Noblet? Perhaps the Stick Figure tarot really IS the UR!!! http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/stick-figure/

(Just kidding)

The triangle formed by the Page of Sword's arms undoubtedly point towards the pythagorician perfection of mind that the swords seek to achieve, but still in its infant stage, indicated by the back leg that does not touch the ground.

Shalott

Helvetica said:
The triangle formed by the Page of Sword's arms undoubtedly point towards the pythagorician perfection of mind that the swords seek to achieve, but still in its infant stage, indicated by the back leg that does not touch the ground.

:D :D

jmd

Shalott, I personally find this comparison of Marseille (and near Marseille) decks of immense importance in getting to ever so gently edging closer to the Ür-Tarot. It is not the Dodal, nor the Noblet, nor the Conver, nor the Camoin, nor the Hadar, not the Félicité... nor, indeed, others which we generally term 'Marseille' - and each indeed may be legitimately called 'Marseille' subject to conforming to the broad but precise guides as to what is a Marseille.

The more essential Marseille is found, as beforehand mentioned by others, between these given decks.

In that sense, the vitality of the Noblet, or the early and rich specimen of the Dodal, or the precision of the Conver, or the about-time-we-have-the-impulse-recreated-and-easily-available at the helm of Camoin or of Hadar, or a little earlier of Marteau/Grimaud, each have their place within the canon of the Marseille deck.

The comparative exercise is one that, in my personal view, leads towards a first instance of recognition as to what makes and what deviates from a Marseille.

Sophie

jmd said:
The more essential Marseille is found, as beforehand mentioned by others, between these given decks.

I find that idea fascinating - both from a historical and a metaphysical persective. But would you not say that this notion that the "real TdM" lies between decks (in the crack between the worlds) undermines the whole idea that there is a unifying symbolic and mathematical system to the Tarot? If one symbol which appears essential to one maker (e.g. the Papesse's egg) is ommited by another, if not only the character of the ensemble (Noblet's vigour, Conver's rightness of line), but colours can change and numbers of objects, all elements picked up by tarotists to explain a unified system, does that not mean that the system is far more flexible and less complete in itself than some eminent tarotists would suggest? So that some elements of the ancient philosophies (pythagorician, gnostic, kabbalistic, and others I've no doubt not heard about) were integrated in Tarot, via all sorts of chemins détournés - while others not, and the Tarot to be found between the tarot decks is a melting-pot, from an esoteric/metaphysical as well as an iconographic and historical point of view?

Moonbow

I think comparing decks is very important in understanding the cards and the symbolism in them, noticing differences helps to us consider why the difference is there and what significance it has, this usually sends me off to Google or search more threads here on Aeclectic, and to me is one of the best learning practices.

I do this with all decks and not just Marseilles (like for like of course). That's why I am interested in collecting a few more Marseilles decks for study purposes (as mentioned in the thread I started).