Aeclectic Feybles ~

Jewel

~blushes~ Thank you all for the votes and the congratulations. It was a wonderful experience to participate in the contest, and I loved the stories written by the other participants as well.

I highly recommend this exercise to anyone that enjoys writting and loves this deck. I have found that this deck is very condusive to writting stories. Other than the Ace of Pentacles, I drew the remaining cards at random and from there built the story. I let the deck itself determine what aspect of the Ace it wanted me to tell. I learned a lot through the process and want to thank Lunalafey and Dadsnook for extending the deadline and providing me with this wonderful opportunity to explore the Ace of Pentacles (which otherwise I probably would not have done).

Think we might have a Feyable contenst for the Ace of Swords?

Thanks again! :D

SongDeva

Congratulations, Jewel!
And Jewel is so right. I drew the other three at random too, and the story wrote itself as long as I trusted and didn't try to write too far ahead.
Also, it brought me a new understanding of each card.
Great exercise.

dadsnook2000

Another contest ?

I think it would be great to have another contest. I'd like to see it not happen until fall because I have my carving agenda all set until then -- plus I have to get my website up. But, if the list wants to do another contest and can agree on a focus then I'll do another Fey figure and we can offer another book box or small desk/storage chest or something.

Again, the stories were great and I learned a lot about this fascinating deck. Thanks. Dave.

SongDeva

Yes! Can we remove length limits?

Jewel

Dave thanks for volunteering to make another prize!!! Since you started with the aces, why not do another ace? I vote for the ace of swords!

By the way Dave, did you get my PM and/or e-mail with my contact info? The fey are dying to hop into their new box :D

If we could extend the character limit to 10,000 perhaps?, or if it remains 6,000, can it be 6,000 characters not including spaces? just some suggestions to add to Song Deva's. I had to cut out about 2000 words from my story to post it, and would loved to have left them in.

dadsnook2000

For Jewel

Two issues:

For Jewel. I just returned from working on our cottage on Cape Cod and have received your mailing address. I'll try to get the book-box mailed Monday or Tuesday -- have to get the right box and bubble-wrap first.

As far as the Feyble's length I found that the stories submitted were readable on the Internet but that the fourth story that was posted after the contest ended was, IMHO, overly long for use on the Internet. Our simple text format, without larger, bolded or colored lettering and without chapter-segment spacing and small pictures to break the monotonous text makes it difficult to read long pieces.

I'd vote for keeping the present maximum length.

Now, a third issue; a Fey card for the next contest. I have to choose a card figure and background that is suitable for carving in wood PLUS can be adapted designwise for replication (mold and cast), and which offers visual interest (depth of figure and objects, colors, shapes, etc.). The Ace of Swords looks nice as a two dimensional illustration but is less-than-optimal as a 3-D figure in terms of the criteria noted above. Thats not to say that it couldn't be developed and rendered. I would suggest that we wait for various suggestions to be submitted as to which cards might be more popular and then vote on a short list.

But, in any case, the offer stands and I can probably create a nice piece from almost any cards in the Fey deck -- unlike the Troth or other decks with impressionist paintings. Dave.

Pook

I think the length limit is good as is....I had to read the first three three seperate visits to the boards as it was (of course I'm pretty busy as of late)

Now, if we're gonna vote in another card as the 3-D design, I vote 'the world' card. For some reason I have developeda special affinity for that snail.....Or the 'Star'...she's actually one of my fave's, but would probably be hard to cast as 3-D.

Maybe if life calms down a bit, I'll write a story for the next one.

Anyway, Just thought I'd add my 2 cents...

Jewel

For Dave

Thanks so much for your response! I look forward to seeing what other cards get nominated. The deck is trully lovely and most cards are suitable to writting stories about. Perhaps when you have time, you could list some cards (2 or 3) you would be really interested in and know would be suitable for carving and we could vote on them to select one.

dadsnook2000

Cards for consideration

I have divided the Fey figure cards into three groups; doable, possibly difficult, and not appropriate.

NOT APPROPRIATE at first glance:
Ace of swords (isolated sword)
Nine of swords (isolated sword, design needs heavy modification)
Queen of swords (not enough of figure is shown)
Four of cups (disconnected, design modification needed)
Five of wands (separated figures)
Wheel (highly separted components, heavy design changes)
Chariot (possible but don't feel it will look right when completed)
Knave of swords (requires isolated foreground sword, floating)
Knight of wands (not enough of bird showing, small figure)

POSSIBLY DIFFICULT but doable with some design modifications:
Ten of swords
4 of wands (a boring 3-D carving)
Hermit (figure has to compete with stairs)
5 of pentacles (painted window for background, rest carved)
Knight of swords (small figure has to compete with dragon)
Knight of cups
Hanged man
6 of wands (might look messy as a carving)
3 of cups (will require a little design change to bring figures closer together and over cup)
Knave of wands (requires different view to bring floating orb and plant closer in to fey figure)
8 of wands (bringing branches into carving while keeping the scene compact seems awkward)
Temperance (I love this card -- I'd have to bring torches and two of fish in closer to head or utilize smoke from torches to support the frontal fish in a carving)
World (interesting, would require lots of detail for castle areas contrasted to larger bulk of snail -- when thinking of a 3-D portrayal. This is typical of difficulties in shifting from a 1-D illustration to a 3-D representation).

DOABLE:
56 card figures are doable -- 16 Major Arcana, 12 Pentacles, 8 Wands, 11 Cups, 8 Swords. Plus 13 difficult but doable cards.

So, we have quite a few to choose from. Suggestions can be made and I would expect that some might have two or more favorites they would advocate for. Dave.