The Ladies' Coleman Smith

mabcosmic

I'm aware that this is not what you want to hear. But that's what I think.

I liked your post, thanks for taking the time to share it.

But please... don't assume I don't want to hear something. Or that just because I might disagree that I must not want you to speak your mind.

If you are unsure of what I think about something... just ask. :)

reall

I'm going to post one last thing with regard to the line drawings that I am using for this project, which is that Sacred-Texts has supplied black and white line drawings of the Rider-Waite for over a decade now:

http://sacred-texts.com/tarot/pkt/index.htm

If the line drawings were a problem, then I'm sure US Games would have had grounds to take down the page by now. Since they haven't, it is not unreasonable for the average person to draw the conclusion that they can use the line drawings for their own Tarot work.

However, I'm going to contact them anyway and see what they have to say about it. I will post again about this if they reply.

I just log in to point at this page!:)) imo Kaplan lineart is public domain however you turn it? and US Games own RWS colored version?:) it would be interesting to get this case to court once and for all! but i guess big fish wins here!XD lolz btw just to be sure lets all retrace our posts and remove any mention of RWS und USG!:)) LOLZ

joking aside I understand why you may feel troubled!:)) any famous deck is hot topic and copyright just add to the fire!:)) so just for starting it you can be considered troll!^^ lolz ;)) and fact you admit you don't know much about art and seems your explanation give us different idea from images we see so our concept and understanding may be different?:)) not than standard pink fluff!^^ lolz
but bit heavy and darker? I'm sure we had thread here with RW textures experiment?:) and it looks interesting!^^ Edit; find it!^^ http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=250107&page=4

regardless all that I think you should give it a go!^^and I advise you to try outGIMP! there are some preinstaled textures and layers you can experiment with and get fantastic effects!^^

p.s pink skin look much better!^^ maybe you can do it all with normal/ light colors and get that dark effect with layers experminets!XD here are some of my fav dark decks
https://www.etsy.com/listing/232234231/mystical-oracle-breath-of-the-night
https://vk.com/topic-52348510_29685219

Nemia

Okay. I wish you success!

mabcosmic

any famous deck is hot topic and copyright just add to the fire!:)) so just for starting it you can be considered troll!^^ lolz ;))

Well, to be fair I'm not the one who brought it up. But, since it has I went ahead and contacted US Games to settle this once and for all.

I don't think bringing up copyright is necessary trolling, but it doesn't make sense when the outlines have been available for years online and are public domain in the Pictorial Key to the Tarot.

and fact you admit you don't know much about art and seems your explanation give us different idea from images we see so our concept and understanding may be different?:)) not than standard pink fluff!^^ lolz
but bit heavy and darker? I'm sure we had thread here with RW textures experiment?:) and it looks interesting!^^ (will try finding it later!^^:)

Just for the record, I'm not against fluffy stuff (I have my own print out of Lisa Frank Tarot), I just wanted to play around with textures and make something inspired by fashion and femininity. Darker colors are easier on my eyes, which is why I prefer them.

p.s pink skin look much better!^^ maybe you can do it all with normal/ light colors and get that dark effect with layers experminets!XD here are some of my fav dark decks
https://www.etsy.com/listing/232234231/mystical-oracle-breath-of-the-night
https://vk.com/topic-52348510_29685219

Thanks for the links.

I agree that the pink looks better, but it's still not what I originally had in mind. :)

mabcosmic

Anyway, I'm still recovering from the flu so I am logging off for a while. I will update if/when US Games emails me back.

reall

Anyway, I'm still recovering from the flu so I am logging off for a while. I will update if/when US Games emails me back.

OK!:)) get well soon! and plz note us what they had to say about that color your own Kaplan case?:)) lolz

all best!^^:))

Laura Borealis

Yes, today was a bit difficult in deciding how to do the kid again. I considered doing a light purple/lavendar flood fill as opposed to the floral fabric, but I didn't know if that would clash with the rest of the textured card?

I think that could work well, actually. Your texture fills remind me of an anime series I saw back in the day, called Gankutsuou. They used textures for hair, some clothing, furniture, etc. but left faces/skin as flat color. I think if you did something like that, it would avoid the whole mottled skin issue, and also give the eye a place to rest, allowing your textures to stand out more.

Attachments

• gankutsuou 1.jpg
    gankutsuou 1.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 152
  • gankutsuou 2.jpg
    gankutsuou 2.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 144

reall

I think that could work well, actually. Your texture fills remind me of an anime series I saw back in the day, called Gankutsuou. They used textures for hair, some clothing, furniture, etc. but left faces/skin as flat color. I think if you did something like that, it would avoid the whole mottled skin issue, and also give the eye a place to rest, allowing your textures to stand out more.

omg! Gankutsuou is my fav2!XD :))

starlightexp

If your not looking to publish this and are just looking at is as a fun art project to just kill time and better understand the cards then you should be just fine on copyright use. If your thinking that you want to publish it you might run into copyright as well as artistic skill issues.

Playing with style and color are alway fun. I would say if you are looking to add textures you might find it useful to erase the texture lines on objects as they things get over worked and messy.

GlitterNova

The coloring of most RWS reproduction decks definitely aren't many people's cup of tea! Hello mustard-color skies! Here's a tip that I've learned from doing a few digital art projects: create one (or a few) color palettes that represent the general color scheme that you want for your project. You wouldn't have to ONLY use those colors, but as long as every card tied in with the palette somehow the whole deck would have a nice, unified look. The palette(s) could be as big or as small as you like.

You can always just make the palette with whatever painting program you're using, or you could use a neat website (like this one) to browse and create one.

Good luck with your deck!