Victorian Flower Oracle: Violet

.traveller.

Violet
Shelter, Retreat

Image: Three Violet Ladies, two of which hold golden urns, kneel in the shade underneath heart-shaped leaves (a violet plant).

Taking a break, shielding something precious.

(placeholder for something more profound, once I think of it)
Now that I have had some time for rumination, a "placeholder for something more profound" to grow is a perfect explanation of how I see this card. Violet lends itself to answering so many different questions and yet, at it's very core, it says "Let it grow". Appreciate the scent, the colour of the flowers, the shape of the leaves, and let it grow. No interference is necessary, events will unfold naturally.

To pick up on an idea given to me by Afrosaxon, I am revisiting all of the violets I have pulled for others in the OC/OS thread, to see if there is an additional message in there for me.

-By holding the truth close to your heart, you give Love the security to thrive, lessening the jolts of a rocky path.
-This speaks of sweetness, being yourself, and not pushing the river, all things have a time and a place and you just need to go with the flow.
-A small treasure, still unknown.
-Seems he will be quite introspective about it, keeping opinions to himself... mostly wondering about practical considerations: food, shelter... that sort of thing.
-It looks to be heading that way, not there yet... it's still fresh. (answering, Is this Love?)
-Feels like you are preparing to step forth with something you have been keeping silent on.
-Wait and watch, this is a good place to evaluate what is to come and what has come to pass.
-"You occupy my thoughts", a golden treasure held close to your chest, not yet strong enough to withstand the harsh light of day. A buried treasure, not ready to be unearthed, may seem like the stuff of legends and fable to the jaded.
-You may be right, a private party, just for two.
-Stick to your comfort zone, do what works for you.

and Barbara pulled it twice for me as well :D
-He wants what once was. Its a safe spot.
-He's looking for some where to go. Something that will cover him. Leaving one area to go to another. Moving. Leaving something behind.

Man, it's a whole FIELD of violets!

Sophie

Looking forward to your profound thoughts, T :)

I love violets. They grow in our gardens in spring, alongside the more upfront primroses, and they are game little flowers. Retiring but also visible, in a strange paradox.

I see violets as modest but highly emotionally charged: a bunch of violets can be more effective than a bunch of roses. Perhaps it's the heart-shaped leaves? I see it as referring to all kinds of love, not only romantic.

I wonder what the urns might mean? Those two ladies seem to be swapping thoughts about them :D. Maybe they contain the delicate but powerful perfume of violets?

I use violet attar to relax, sleep and find serenity - it's feminine, cool and tender.

Barbaras Ahajusts

Digging Again...

This is the violet hour, the hour of hush and wonder, when the affections glow again and valor is reborn, when the shadows deepen magically along the edge of the forest and we believe that, if we watch carefully, at any moment we may see the unicorn.
- Bernard DeVoto "The Hour"

Violet Lavatera
Subdued, uncertain.
Not sure where to go next.
Fallen into a slump.
Will chase away the grey clouds,
and the sun lights your way.

Affirmation:
“I call on a bolt of lightning to break through my fog
with gentleness and ease.”.

Chakra: Violet relates to self knowledge/ spiritual awareness. It is the union with your higher self, with spirituality, and your higher consciousness. Violet is the highest color in the visible spectrum. This color is known as one of the "cool" colors. It has a very calming effect on us and is, therefore, very helpful for those people experiencing sleep difficulties or stress.

But again there must be a balance, with too much violet one would easily escape from reality into a fantasy world too often. It's not suggested to have violet colors in a room where you entertain. It could stop the conversation & creates a craving for alcohol or drugs. (So that's why hippies loved violet?) :laugh:

Positive Effects
Great Mental Strength
Inspirational Leaders
Kindly And Just
Humanitarians
Self-sacrificing
Pure Idealism

I'm interested in what the book has to say on this card.

Barbara

Barbaras Ahajusts

.traveller. said:
Violet
Shelter, Retreat
Image: Three Violet Ladies, two of which hold golden urns, kneel in the shade underneath heart-shaped leaves (a violet plant).
Taking a break, shielding something precious.
(placeholder for something more profound, once I think of it)

I understand what you are saying here. There is something I can't get my thoughts around. As if I need to hide away & digest something before I can put MY 2 cents in. (Not just internet stuffens.)

Something kept hidden, if you will. Overwhelmed & need to go within to protect what is sacred.

Edited;
Venus/beauty/Violet. To not be tarnished by the world. Keeping ones beliefs/faith intact in the face of the harshness of their world.

Barbara

Ange

There's an old saying for anyone who was shy......'shrinking violet'.

I don't know why violets were associated with shy folks.....but they were.

At the van meet camping weekends, folks might think I am a 'shrinking violet'....but the reality is that I rest after the journey and don't stay up partying late on the Saturday night....cos it's not my thing. Instead I get in my sleeping bag around 10pm or 11pm and that's it.

Yet I am the one who is out there welcoming members who I don't know, and who have not been to a meet before.....and now with a new van club, and new folks to make friends with, I'll be there again breaking the ice with everyone.....so shrinking violet doesn't fit me.....or does it....:)

Maybe the violet is the rest we need....the time to ourselves....as ell as sometimes feeeling a little as if we ant to stay in the background for a while....:)
Ang x

afrosaxon

Ange said:
There's an old saying for anyone who was shy......'shrinking violet'.

I don't know why violets were associated with shy folks.....but they were.

Violets are small yet bold flowers, what with that in-your-face purple color...and there tend to be so many of them in one patch! :D

Shrinking violets were people who pulled away (shrunk) from that boldness, that extrovertedness...which made it perfect to describe shy people. :)

Ange, you are no shrinking violet; you are dry-cleaned and shrink-resistant. ;)

Just my $.02.

T.

Sophie

Ange said:
Maybe the violet is the rest we need....the time to ourselves....as sell as sometimes feeling a little as if we want to stay in the background for a while....:)
That's how I see it as well. I don't see shyness, but rest and time to oneself, coupled with assurance - because as Afrosaxon writes, the violet is a bold little flower - discreet but hardly shy. And it is one of the flowers of love...:)

Some interesting words about the lore of violets: http://www.angelfire.com/journal2/flowers/v.html

Scroll down to the last entry.

moderndayruth

Amazing insights, everyone! :thumbsup: Violet is very special to me, its usually the first flower to break through the layers of snow and signal the coming of spring, the renewal and growth after the winter's slowing down...
Also, its used widely in cosmetics and i associate it with beauty and care.
A bit on Violets in history :
The ancient Greeks made violets the official symbol of Athens where the flowers were used to perfume wine. Violet is also the emblem of the town of Toulouse, where the Floral Games of 1323 conferred a golden violet as a sort of Nobel Prize for the best minds of the time. It is still presented today at the Académie Française.

Napoleon Bonaparte selected the violet as his signature flower. When Josephine died in 1814, he had her grave covered with violet plants and when he left for Elba he promised his confidential friends that he would return in the violet season. He became known as Corporal Violet. When it was known that he had landed at Fréjus, a multitude of women appeared on the streets of Paris selling violets for his friends to wear without arousing suspicion. The code was, ‘Aimez vous les violettes?’ (do you like violets?) and on answering ‘yes’ it was certain they were of the party and not the confederation. Shortly before he went was finally exiled to St Helena Napoleon visited Josephine’s grave and picked some flowers from it. After his death, these were found in a locket he had always worn around his neck.

The popularity of violet scented fragrances (sweet powdery notes) was particularly high during the 19th century and the demand for essence of violets was far greater than the manufacturers were able to supply. At the time the violet note was derived from Parma violet (Viola odorata L., fam. Violaceae). Using natural violet, in 1924, in honour of the flower of his native Toulouse, perfumer Pierre Berdoues created “Violette de Toulouse”.

As i was looking at the card,tender, care, patience and unconditional love came to my mind. :)

Sophie

moderndayruth said:
As i was looking at the card,tender, care, patience and unconditional love came to my mind. :)
How lovely, Lena! Yes, that's exactly it. And that reminds me of the Sabian Symbol:

Aquarius 27:
An ancient pottery bowl filled with fresh violets.

Which conjures up such a beautiful, peaceful image, and an alliance of endurance and ever-returning freshness, which is much the same impression I get from the card image.

moderndayruth

Fudugazi said:
How lovely, Lena! Yes, that's exactly it. And that reminds me of the Sabian Symbol:

Aquarius 27:
An ancient pottery bowl filled with fresh violets.

Which conjures up such a beautiful, peaceful image.

Something like this? ;)