Which Decks did you get in 2009 that you regret, which are you glad you've gotten?

missy

Interesting to see so many people not like Tarot of the Sweet Twilight! I have not seen this deck so do not know.

I will base mine on what I bought in 2009.

Faves:

* Tarot of Prague - Absolutely love it! AND the book! The book and cards are both divine. Very special! :heart:

* Fantastic Menagerie - Absolutely love this one, also! :love: This is one I could not picture myself owning ... until I owned it! Now I can't imagine not having it! Adore the card stock. (As I do all my MRP decks.) Also love the book! :heart:

* Baroque Bohemian Cats 1st ed kit - Love the cute frilly borders! But think I might like the borderless better, although I admit I LOVE the 2 of Swords in the yellow dress :D Yes, over the blue dress! :D As a cat owner, of course I love the BBC! :D

* Fairytale Tarot (Magic Realist Press) - Love this one also, but haven't spent much time with it yet! Am looking forward to reading the tales! :D

* Deviant Moon - What a total surprise! Love this deck! :D Did not expect to, and really love it! Love the Italian printing (haven't seen the Chinese yet), love the slick card stock (for some reason, with this deck, I am fine with it) and just absolutely adore Patrick's artwork. :heart:

* Fairy Ring Oracle - Love it! I know this is an oracle, and my only one, but have to mention it because it is so deep! Only downside: It MUST be read with the book.

* Quantum (Kunati publishing) - What can I say? LOVELY silver gilded edging. Borderless cards. Lovely cardstock. I love :heart: it! It is too advanced maybe for me to read with right now, but I still love it. Only downside: card images in person are definitely darker than those seen online. Also, not entirely crazy about seeing "real people" photos in the court cards. Still, a lovely purchase. And the box with lift-off lid and nicely sized booklet are huge pluses.

* Transparent Tarot - I was knocked out of my chair by this deck! This was a total surprise. Reads effortlessly right out of the box. LOVE it! I will be getting all of Emily Carding's decks/oracles!

* Voyager - YIKES! A great find on eBay and all I can say is, a total reading surprise! I truly love it! I got a Merrill-West deck, which is what I truly wanted! (Thanks, Rodney!)

On the fence:

* Ananda tarot - At first I was disappointed due to the small size of the images. The images themselves are gorgeous; the presentation is gorgeous. So I have decided to reserve judgment until after I have read with it. I have a feeling it will be a lovely reading deck, only I wish the images were bigger.

* Thoth (Large/Deluxe) - I KNOW, it's the Thoth. So I'm supposed to love it. But I haven't spent any time with it yet, so I don't have a connection to it yet. So I can't say one way or the other. I'll give it time, and study, before I decide. It deserves to be properly studied.

Not as crazy about:

* Golden Tarot of the Tsar: The cards themselves are GORGEOUS. Literally DRIPPING in gold. :D The downside for me is that I was not raised Catholic, so do not get the references to the saints. I get the obvious cards like Lazarus, as I was raised Christian. But the saints ones mean googling or pulling out the LWB which isn't much help. A lovely collectible deck, from the "golden age" of tarot, but not a reading deck for me. Still, I admit I am glad to have it. It is PRETTY and perfect for Christmas.

* Le Corte dei Tarocchi - I know this is a collector's favorite. To me the cards are too thick. I can't ever see how I would shuffle them. Lovely as artwork, to sit in a box and never use, and very unique. But not for me.

chickandegg

Last year was a significant year in deck buying for me because in that year I bought every deck I own except for the homemade deck I learned with and the Roots of Asia, which I bought a few days ago. Specifically, I got:

The Rider Waite Smith
The Mystic Dreamer Tarot
The Old English Tarot
Lisa Hunt's Fairy Tale Tarot
The Tarot of the Trees
The Tarot of the Saints

Of these, the RWS (my first store-bought deck) is my favorite, though each of these decks is special to me in its own way. The only deck I sort of regret is the Old English Tarot. It's a lovely deck and I like it a lot, but I've had trouble relating to it. I may eventually sell or give it away since I don't like to keep around decks I don't use.

All in all, a great deck buying year!

Debra

Disappointed by
Louttre B
Maddonni
yet again the Old Path--I keep buying it and trading it. :rolleyes:

Totally delighted by
Knapp-Hall
Mitelli
Minchiate Fiorentine
Vacchetta
Bestiarium Azaz
Tarot Noir
Marie-Claude Purro
AND the Dussere Dodal !
AND the Etteilla--Tarot égyptien Z. Lismon Livre de Thot, 1890!

Totally astounded by the money numbers. I'm afraid to add them up.

Rosanne

Biggest Mistake!!!!! Tarot Del Yoga (will find a home somewhere-maybe the demented home of over the hill Tarot readers)

The biggest ho Hum- where was my brain? - The Universal Wirth Tarot.

The Greatest Joy- replacing my damaged Tarot de la Rea.

~Rosanne

Keirquen

Single biggest fave: Fairytale by MRP This one reads so well for me that it shot right up to the top of my list.

Meh: Bohemian Gothic
Just not my cup of tea right now, since I'm so in love with the Fairytale. I'm really glad I got it, though, because on past experience with MRP decks, I'll probably love it next year.

Tarot of Dreams is another "meh". I like the Gilded a lot, and to me, (just my personal opinion) the energy was similar enough that Dreams just doesn't stand out to me

Disappointed: Hello Kitty color
I looove the images, but this deck's lamination is so thick and slippery, it's almost impossible to actually use. Plus, those sharp (ouch!) corners.

Pearls of Wisdom
I was sure I'd love this deck, because I love bright colors (heck, Inner Child is another fave) but whoah--too busy and too similar--I could hardy focus on the cards.

Metafizzypop

Keirquen said:
Disappointed: Hello Kitty color
I looove the images, but this deck's lamination is so thick and slippery, it's almost impossible to actually use. Plus, those sharp (ouch!) corners.

You have the Hello Kitty? That deck is soooooo cute! I really like it, and I'm a person who ordinarily doesn't go for cuteness. Anyway, maybe those sharp corners are supposed to symbolize a kitty's sharp claws and teeth. It's a thought.

Anyway, I bought several decks in 2009 and I really like all but one, the Crow's Magick Tarot. I had my eye on this deck for a couple of years before I bought it. I'd seen scans on line of the cards and I was totally enamoured. But when I got it and finally saw it "in person," I wasn't so impressed. It looked so good on line but it just didn't live up to my expectations. I have to say that getting the deck was anticlimactic.

I still do fairly like it, and use it, and I get good readings from it. But in terms of the art, which looked so slick on line, it seemed a little cold, I'd say.