De-Enabling Thread

Cassandra022

gregory said:
I said DRAW, not GNAW. :D And believe me - you do not want to end up like me. Wanna see my overdraft ??? :eek:

But all your talk of cardboard made me want some. Cardboard and brown paper bags...are always tasty :0

But...but, you are one of the tarot-collecting legend person thingas...aren't we all supposed to aspire to your massive tarot-collecting glory??

nisaba

Cassandra022 said:
But...but, you are one of the tarot-collecting legend person thingas...aren't we all supposed to aspire to your massive tarot-collecting glory??
<sharply> ABSOLUTELY NOT!

Gregory is a Bad Example.

If she worked with one deck per day, she's take more than six years to see any single deck twice. She has had to build expensive extensions on her house to accommodate the decks.

And once in a thread worrying about her when she was late back from a holiday, there was speculation that she'd arrived at home on time but all her decks, dying of loneliness, were at the front door to greet her, and when she opened it she was crushed to death under the pile when they all fell out. It took two days and some earthmoving equipment for her concerned neighbours to dig her out, by which time the fitful pleas for help from under the pile of decks had long stopped.

Do you want to die like that?

Tarot has so infested people's minds that some around here might even say "yes". But trust me, one tarot deck is plenty. Too much, in fact, as it might wend its evil way into your mind and encourage you to buy more either by being beautiful and useable, or by being ugly and unusable.

So not only do I exhort you to stop buying, but I also exhort you to get rid of all your other existing decks, so as to free your life of the terrible infection. I provide a sanitary disposal service for surplus decks - and all decks are surplus.

gregory

What she said. Plus the destitution that follows. :(

Never forget - I was hopelessly addicted before I found this place. I myself started several addict threads to try to do some self help - but I was too far gone - I had already been at it for 30 years. But in contributing to this thread I try to be The One Your Mother Warned You About, the one NOT to play with after school.... I cannot be a good example - but I can be a terrible warning. (I AM a terrible warning. }))

And the noise they make when they cry out to be read with would keep me awake at night, except that fortunately for me (and honestly !!) I am very deaf and take out the hearing aids when I go to bed ! You, on the other hand...

Leave some cardboard to draw those potatoes on, won't you !

ilweran

I'm thinking of getting the Cruel Thing Tarot.

I've been good and bought hardly any decks this year, but this keeps catching my eye... on the other hand I'm getting married next year and might be out of a job shortly after... which means I need cheering up NOW and what difference will spending £16ish now make in the grand scheme of things... but I really don't need more decks but need to know why I shouldn't get *this* one

Of course if I'm de-enabled from getting the deck I'm just going to go out and buy a book instead even though I have lots of them as well :D

nisaba

ilweran said:
I'm thinking of getting the Cruel Thing Tarot.
Don't.

In addition to anything else, it's terribly cruel, and I like you too much to let you be subjected to that.

ilweran said:
on the other hand I'm getting married next year and might be out of a job shortly after...
Which means you'll have to sell your decks at below cost to afford the things your spouse won't spring for. Put the money aside now - you at least won 't lose anything on it.

And my last spouse was wonderfully supportive of my Tarot reading right up until I was hooked in, then made me stop (and disappeared more than half my collection behind my back). The fewer decks you have hidden in a box under a pile of old disused clothes in the bottom of the wardrobe, the fewer decks can be destroyed on you. (Yeah yeah, I thought my spouse would never do such a horrible thing, too).

ilweran said:
which means I need cheering up NOW
I can understand that. Marriage is a truly shocking thing ... <grin>.

ilweran said:
and what difference will spending £16ish now make in the grand scheme of things...
Without a one of your wages, you *could* be $16 (read a pound sign for that!) $16 short of the registration fee for your car.

Which means the car can't be legally driven.

Which means your spouse may miss an important meeting or interview for promotion, or just will be late for that crucial day when the boss is checking up, and lose a heap of commission or profits or just plain get fired. Which means you then won't b e able to pay the rent/mortgage, so you'll end up homeless, sleeping under a single thin blanket on a mattress of stained and smelly Tarot decks in an unregistered vehicle that the police take a constant interest in.

And then winter happens. Winter's cold where you are, right?

Keep your sixteen pounds - see how much grief wasting it will cause you?

ilweran

nisaba said:
In addition to anything else, it's terribly cruel, and I like you too much to let you be subjected to that.

awww, lol

I can understand that. Marriage is a truly shocking thing ... <grin>.

Now that's horribly unfair of you, I just snorted tea all over my keyboard and am getting weird looks from my work colleagues who want to know what's so funny :D

Come on, more about the DECK!!!

(eta - and the job situation isn't quite completely dire or doomed, we may just have to co-locate with another organisation to save on overheads)

gregory

ilweran said:
Come on, more about the DECK!!!
It's only got three colours - and two of them are black and white. Not exactly value for MONEY, is it ? That's more than £5 a colour !!! (and you shouldn't really be paying for the white; that's just the card stock - so it rises to £8 per. Appalling.)

And do you WANT to subject yourself to the ongoing argument - quite heated - about whether the pips are or are not illustrated ? And the artist posted here that it was never meant to read with and asked how are people finding it, as he didn't know anything about tarot; it was an art project.... and it never occurred to him that anyone would use it :D What kind of a deck is that ?

ilweran

gregory said:
What kind of a deck is that ?

A challenge? Maybe I need a challenge, take my mind off things... I seem to remember the last reading I did for myself advised this. Or are my cards just trying to enable me? It was that wicked Legacy of the Divine deck that MADE me buy the SE, standard and iPhone versions of itself :D

gregory

iPhone version ? You need major therapy. Send all your decks here (except the iPhone one; no WAY will I have an iPhone in the house !) and I will fix you. :D

ilweran

gregory said:
iPhone version ? You need major therapy. Send all your decks here (except the iPhone one; no WAY will I have an iPhone in the house !) and I will fix you. :D

iPod Touch, not iPhone. Can't stand iPhones, overpriced, over-hyped rubbish. No, I like my Nokia that I only have to charge once a week and that is actually capable of making phone calls.

Anyway, surely you already own copies of all the decks I have - you're the example I use to prove I don't have *that* many decks, not really, and it's ok to get another one (or two, maybe three) :D

Cruel Thing Tarot - is it spiteful? Snide? Will it poke pins in my other decks when I'm not looking or encourage my cats to be even more badly behaved then they already are? Will it eat my (not so) secret chocolate stash? All of the above plus more?