Hermetic Tarot

room

As a side gesture to understanding the cards, this is what I think about Hermeticism.

POSITIVE ASPECTS

I like the way it merges the physical with the spiritual, or tries to. Similar to many religions, it acknowledges the perennial longing of humans to ease the emotional and mental pain of those two polarities. There is a practical, common sense to this integration of divine and material. It makes us feel better and gives us inspiration and imagination as we marry intellect with intuition.

I've always thought Neoplatonism and Gnosticism were rather practical in essence, for this reason of uniting the physical and spiritual, which seems to be something, religious belief and influence aside, that humans long for from the time they can grasp the concept of separation.

What you call it doesn't matter:: microcosm and macrocosm, earth and heaven, real world and apparent world, the concept is an ever-present floater in human imagination and intellect. Oh how awful, I've used that terrible word "intellect" again. I must be burnt at the stake.

NEGATIVE ASPECTS

Inherently in the philosophy, none. In fact it has been responsible for a large part of our scientific knowledge and philosophical delight and growth over centuries. The negativity unfortunately occurs through the rituals and practice imposed on the philosophy by humans in various eras.

Why?

Because humans have a distasteful and innate penchant for self-righteousness and self-satisfaction. So we get the gimmickry of magic tricks that supposedly elevate people to fantasies of hierarchal levels in an "I know the secret and you don't nyah, nyah." parody of knowledge. You can see the attitude in most human endeavours. And somewhere, the purity of sense gets lost in imposed ritual and secrecy and the correct study of approved texts and attitudes.

SUMMATION

Leaving aside the foolishness of imposed practices, which might be useful as a memory game of symbols and secret codes, but doesn't seem to do much for the growth of the individual, intellectual or spiritual, I think there is an earth-shaking truth we've covered over with bubbling cauldrons, candles, and symbols.

Ask yourself, is true unity the product of drawing symbols and reciting words in secret rituals? Do you need such gimmicks to be part of the One? Does transmutation need a secret word to manifest itself? Why do people use ritual and secret societies in place of the idea? A group ritual is a strictly intellectual memory game, binding you to gestures and words created to signify meaning in place of meaning, or power in place of power, or intuition in place of intuition.

It is another by-product of being human that we often feel powerless and ineffectual, so we love rituals because they place us somewhere we feel power. It feels more powerful to be a persona who is magical than a mundane human. The pretense doesn't hold up though, it's an ephemeral place.

Hermeticism is a rip-roaring interesting concept, full of ideas garnered from Greek, Roman and Arabic civilization, plus European Renaissance traditions and ideas. Whew, what a glorious thing.

It's too bad we've allowed it to get buried under many coats of florid wallpaper.

Oh, and a proviso: I will not argue, defend, justify, prove my ideas, ridicule and browbeat you into submission, or otherwise ritualize my position. I might light a candle for you while intoning a secret word, but that is all.

gregory

LB - how much were Mysteries selling it for (*thinks* - plans to be on London on Saturday....)

elvenstar

I like what you've said room and largely agree :) I have very recently started studying Hermetics more, it's been a lot on my mind and here is a wonderful AT discussion about it. ;) I totally agree about the closed societies and ritual mambo jumbo, but as you say this happens a lot anyway, it has to do with people and not the specific philosophy. I've been thinking about the 'mystical' as in hidden aspect as well, I guess though in other times circumstances were different and you could easily die or at least get into serious trouble for things like that, perhaps you still can in some places. So I think in many instances it was a matter of self preservation. Nowadays, a lot of information is available but buried under a huge pile of other information, effectively hidden in plain sight.

I also happen to have the alchemy and mysticism book in my possession at the moment, and while I do like it, I'm a bit disappointed. It has many images jam-packed full of symbolism up to the ears, but often the symbolism isn't discussed or explored, which imo at least sort of defeats the point. I would like more details, it would make it more useful to me, especially in relation to card symbols.

In fact I don't have the Hermetic deck, I've been thinking of getting it, but have been studying two other decks and don't have much time for another one right now. You guys may change my mind though *sigh*. Those of you that have it, do you think it would be very useful in relation to my Hermetic studies?

Little Baron

It was fifteen pounds gregory. But i think it was last copy. Apologies for short reply. Doing this on phone.

room

elvenstar said:
I guess though in other times circumstances were different and you could easily die or at least get into serious trouble for things like that, perhaps you still can in some places.

Excellent point, I forgot the dreaded Inquisition and current Fundamentalism. Thanks for reminding me of the reality of the times.

I don't know enough about the deck yet to advise you on if it would be useful for Hermetic studies, but it's a reasonable price and if you like Thoth or Golden Dawn decks (I am getting quite a nice collection of Thoth clones), then it would be worth it from a standpoint of comparison and augmentation.

Little Baron

Just a little note to say 'thanks room, for your big post'. I will get round to reading it properly soon. I tried to read it on my phone this morning on the train, but it wasn't the best environment to do so, hehe. And then, I have not been around for the rest of the day. But I look forward to digesting it with a cup of coffee, very soon.

I thank all that have put time into helping me with my queries here.

LB

Little Baron

Just a little update on my time with the Hermetic.

I am still really enjoying the artwork. I like the minors the most. They are so bold and that helps with interpretation. For instance, the flower in the sword card - when it is pierced, or sethered, or mangled. All helps convey mood.

Problems? They keep sliding all over the ******* place. That lamination does look nice on this deck, but the slipping about is a total pain in the arse.

At the moment, I am spending too much time looking at the titles, rather than the pictures. This might be my only real concern. Obviously, I don't know the deck really well yet, but many pictures are so alike and over-detailed that I don't recognise them straight out. I hope that easier recognition will come with familiarity.

But on the whole, it still caprivates me. And I really like the look of it. I find it a bit difficult to get RWS out of my head, but maybe that might change as I get further into working with this deck.

LB

room

Those titles are like poetry, they are so lyrical I find them mesmerizing too.
One of the reasons I bought the Magickal and Hermetic was for those titles.

Like a song title . . .beckoning you to further lyricism in your mind and soul. . .you drift on the riff.

Little Baron

I agree room. For me, they are like an entire new world in themselves that I can consider and help with the interpretation.

I usually hate keywords. But these are not keywords. They stand on their own, in their own right. And it is true. They are poetic.

LB

teomat

I'm a bit curious about this deck and wonder if it would be a good choice to study the Golden Dawn system? The Thoth isn't my cup of tea, and although I'm working with (and loving) my RWS, I'm interested in the background behind the GD system and the description of this deck suggests it would be a good deck to learn from.

However people in this thread are saying that the current printing is pretty bad. If anyone has the Italian print, is it really as bad as they say? Or should I wait (and hope) for a possible Chinese print instead?