Froud's Faeries Oracle - What is it about this oracle?

HearthCricket

Then the only way I can think of best explaining it to you is look at a cloud. The cloud is real. But you will see that cloud differently than I will. Neither of us is wrong. It is our interpretation of how we see the cloud. It is Froud's interpretation of how he sees the fae. Look at a crystal. You will interpret it one way, I will interpret it another, and so on. But it is still what it is, single, yet multi-faceted.

No matter what, it is your decision in the end what decks you want to work with!

missy

thorhammer said:
Why is the Froud's Faeries Oracle so important?

They're real.

\m/ Kat

That is what I am sensing. It was this feeling, that they are real, that was partly responsible for me cancelling my order. I want to know what I am getting myself into. Inviting faeries into one's home doesn't seem like something one would undertake lightly.

But Kat, do you mean you consider just the Froud's Faeries to be real, but not the other faeries?

Maybe I am taking this too seriously. I have read threads of people who are afraid of the tarot and thought, that is ridiculous. "I am not afraid of faeries," (she said) (well, maybe the bad ones) but I want to show them the proper respect, because if they *are* REAL, then, to me, they have to be dealt with on a whole other level than tarot cards. They have to be shown the proper respect. One would need some knowledge of how to properly co-exist with them. It doesn't sound like you can invite them into your life and then uninvite them. It sounds like a permanent thing. Sorry for all the rambling.

:heart:

missy

HearthCricket said:
Then the only way I can think of best explaining it to you is look at a cloud. The cloud is real. But you will see that cloud differently than I will. Neither of us is wrong. It is our interpretation of how we see the cloud. It is Froud's interpretation of how he sees the fae. Look at a crystal. You will interpret it one way, I will interpret it another, and so on. But it is still what it is, single, yet multi-faceted.

No matter what, it is your decision in the end what decks you want to work with!

This makes sense. So Froud has his interpretation of how he sees the fae. My Scottish/Irish ancestors have their interpretation.

Just as many have different interpretations for God, or higher power, or spirit guides, or whatever we think leads us to the tarot.

But all interpretations of the fae can be considered "real" in that, none of us truly know what the fae look like, although I'm sure quite a few people would argue with that; doesn't Froud draw the faeries he actually sees? Okay and if Froud draws the faeries he actually sees, does this mean this is the definitive way that faeries look? Just as I think I have my brain wrapped around this concept, it goes all haywire on me. (Are there people who believe that ONLY Froud's Faeries are real?)

I guess I am thinking of those old Scottish/Irish legends as "real." And if I think of them as "real," does that mean anything that clashes with them is "unreal" or fiction? Or can Froud's Faeries, that he drew himself from the faeries he sees, exist and also, the faeries that old Scottish/Irish legends have still exist, because both are like clouds.

We can both see the same cloud and yet see it differently. I think I might be catching on now ...

Yet what of the difference in the meaning of the same faery? I am thinking of Egyptian Gods like the Sun God, Ra. What if someone took an archetype like Ra and completely reinterpreted Ra? It would seem almost arbitrary to do so.

My brain, it explodes!

missy

I want to add, I am sorry if anyone finds my questions irritating or off-putting.

I think what has happened is, in the past 24 hours, the concept of faeries has become real to me, and I don't know what to do with it. It is though a new world is opening up, and really, I can't wrap my mind around it.

thorhammer

missy_ said:
That is what I am sensing. It was this feeling, that they are real, that was partly responsible for me cancelling my order. I want to know what I am getting myself into. Inviting faeries into one's home doesn't seem like something one would undertake lightly.
Absolutely, not to be taken lightly. But also a massive joke that the Faeries are playing on you! (They have a very well-developed sense of humour :D) They will tell you themselves that it's a very serious joke.
But Kat, do you mean you consider just the Froud's Faeries to be real, but not the other faeries?
Hmm. Not exactly . . . just that somehow Froud has captured their essence (and not capturing in a bad way, but in a good way :D). This deck is a much more effective conduit, I suppose. It projects/portrays the real faces of the entities you've been working with, while other decks put a spin on them, the artist's/author's interpretation of an archetype or mythical figure. These ones are their real faces.
Maybe I am taking this too seriously. I have read threads of people who are afraid of the tarot and thought, that is ridiculous. "I am not afraid of faeries," (she said) (well, maybe the bad ones) but I want to show them the proper respect, because if they *are* REAL, then, to me, they have to be dealt with on a whole other level than tarot cards. They have to be shown the proper respect. One would need some knowledge of how to properly co-exist with them. It doesn't sound like you can invite them into your life and then uninvite them. It sounds like a permanent thing. Sorry for all the rambling.
No need to be sorry. To be honest, I'm much more a Tarot girl than Oracle, hence my Faeries deck spends a lot of time in its (very special) bag. They don't mind, as I think of the cards as windows or doors through which they step into my life. If the door's not open, mostly they don't care and move onto the next one to make their mischief. But sometimes they clamour to be let through - and then I get the urge to bring the deck/doors out. They stay for a while after that :)

Does this give a sense of how they behave?

\m/ Kat

missy

thorhammer said:
Absolutely, not to be taken lightly. But also a massive joke that the Faeries are playing on you! (They have a very well-developed sense of humour :D) They will tell you themselves that it's a very serious joke. Hmm. Not exactly . . . just that somehow Froud has captured their essence (and not capturing in a bad way, but in a good way :D). This deck is a much more effective conduit, I suppose. It projects/portrays the real faces of the entities you've been working with, while other decks put a spin on them, the artist's/author's interpretation of an archetype or mythical figure. These ones are their real faces.No need to be sorry. To be honest, I'm much more a Tarot girl than Oracle, hence my Faeries deck spends a lot of time in its (very special) bag. They don't mind, as I think of the cards as windows or doors through which they step into my life. If the door's not open, mostly they don't care and move onto the next one to make their mischief. But sometimes they clamour to be let through - and then I get the urge to bring the deck/doors out. They stay for a while after that :)

Does this give a sense of how they behave?

\m/ Kat

Yes. :D For some reason, at the moment the Froud's Faeries chose to be "out of stock" for me, so I ordered the Fairy Ring Oracle. I definitely see Froud's Faeries in my future.

I also do feel that the faeries have been "messing with me" for the past 24 hours. I think I may have even dreamed about them last night.

From your responses I am feeling better overall about exploring my connection to the faery realm. And while I was watching Lord of the Rings, I really liked the way the Elves and Dwarves were portrayed as "men" ... what I mean is, they were portrayed with more human-like qualities, so I believe I will be able to relate to the photorealistic style of the Fairy Ring Oracle deck.

At the same time, I believe once I have made my way through that deck, I will be ordering Froud's Faeries for another interpretation of faeries, and also I can see myself ending up with Wild Wisdom of the Faery Oracle.

Froud's Faeries seem to have that dreamlike quality to them; a subconscious call to them. Like they are the way we all imagine faeries to be, if we were to actually see a real faery, that they might appear to us like a Froud's Faery. Although they could easily choose to disguise themselves and appear to us as human. :eek:

For some reason these three oracles are *all* calling to me. And I feel the need to have one of them right away, so it will arrive Friday! :D

Kat, I understand about the windows/doors thing. Although it does sound like sometimes the faeries seem to open the windows/doors themselves without being invited; they sort of invite themselves; am I right? :eek:

I can't wait! :party:

missy

Sorry; I totally took this thread off-topic. :|

To re-post my original question, :::embarrassed:::

What is it that makes the Froud's Faeries oracle so important? Why has it struck such a chord with people?

Would you consider it the essential faeries oracle and if so, why?

Does one need to own this one in order to fully experience faeries?

Now I will shut up and anyone who wants to answer may do so. :party:

Aerin

In addtion to what I said:

The book of the Fairy Ring Oracle is very good. I hated the cards: real people and some of them sinister looking in a human way to me and not in a fairy way - they gave me the shudders. So worth getting for the book anyway.

The Froud is a thoroughly good deck whatever your beliefs and they look like FAIRIES.

DragonFae

i answered once...lol...but I sort of just rambled...so I will try again with the actual questions...

What is it that makes the Froud's Faeries oracle so important?

For me it was the first real look into faeries that went beyond the fluff....which by the way I don't think fluff is bad...I think the faeries do present themeslves as fluff sometimes because they do not want to frighten people and it is a way to get there message across without scaring unknowing people away. The oracle is written out of a deep knowledge base but mostly a LOVE of faery...which to me connects it immediately...faeries know these things and they can tell the difference between one who truly loves and one who simply pretends to see what they can get from the faery realm.

Why has it struck such a chord with people?

The faeries on the cards are like real people. They have both good and bad characteristics....even the bad faeries have something to teach...and I am thinking they are not bad in an evil sense....but just in the sense that they might turn your world upside down. It has struck a chord because they are "real" in the sense that the personalities and characteristics lend themselves to fully understanding the human experience.

Would you consider it the essential faeries oracle and if so, why?

I do consider it essential because of what I have stated above...there are other faeries that are probably as equally appealing...I mean there are thousands and thousands of faeries....and so it is...but these faeires are nice ones to meet first because they are "the greeters"....the open the real door to faery and do not lead you on a merry chase before letting you have a glimpse of their world. Not to say they can't have a bit of fun with you....but they REALLY want you to enter faery...not just tell you about it.

To me ...it is essential...you may find differently...faeries are like that..and what you need to know about faery and what you seek...may be very different than me and therefore your experience with them will be totally unique...but to me...it is a faery classic...and as such i would want to own it...

By the way a new Froud deck...The Heart of Faery....will be coming out Spring 2010....but with out MacBeth as writer,....so it is yet to be seen what it will be like.

F.M. Tarot

missy_ said:

Wanted to jump in and say, you don't need any cards or oracles to experience the faeries fully or not! Humankind have been interacting, creating, healing and travelling with them since time untold, no need at all for an oracle to experience anything about them :)