Tarot Wisdom by Rachel Pollack

Grizabella

Thanks to the generosity of a dear lady here on AT who read the book and passed it on, I'm able to enjoy it. I didn't really care for 78 Degrees (ducking rotten tomatoes) and I didn't get much out of Forest of Souls---maybe I tried to read that one too early in my Tarot experience---but Tarot Wisdom is fantastic! I've just started it and don't get a lot of time to sit and read right now, but what I've read so far is just fascinating. I love her style of writing because she makes reading a lot of Tarot facts very entertaining and easy to take in. I'm easily bored by recitations of history and dry fact in a lot of Tarot books, but this one is different. I'm actually loving the time I do get to spend reading it.

For anyone else who may be easily bored or baffled by Tarot history, this book may just be for you like it is for me. It's not just history, though, it's so much more! This one is definitely going to stay on my book shelf when I'm through reading it and will warrant reading multiple times, (which I seldom say of any book besides Steinbeck and Thoreau. :p )

Kathy24

I agree with you 100% Grizabella! I just got the book in the mail a few days ago and have also started to read it and have been finding it much more interesting then 78 Degrees (too cerebral in alot of the book, but she did give good symbolism and meanings to the cards). This will be one of those books that I will continually refer to, Rachel definitely does have a great way of writing about the tarot. :)

Gazel

Funny I'm just about to read that book too. I think it is promising.
I'm very fond of rachel Pollack. Also 78 degress of wisdom, which was what initiated the whole tarot adventure for me in the first place, and made me go looking for the RW.
Gazel

Grizabella

So Gazel-----tell us what you think. Have you started reading it yet?

sapienza

I don't refer to 78 Degrees much because it focuses primarily on the symbolism of the RWS deck. Is this new book different in that regard?

I had the pleasure of attending one of Rachel's weekend workshops here in Brisbane earlier in the year and was impressed by the depth of her knowledge. She speaks so well and with such passion, but I can't always see that in her writing. I struggled with Forest of Souls as well I'm afraid.

Kathy24

sapienza said:
I don't refer to 78 Degrees much because it focuses primarily on the symbolism of the RWS deck. Is this new book different in that regard?

I had the pleasure of attending one of Rachel's weekend workshops here in Brisbane earlier in the year and was impressed by the depth of her knowledge. She speaks so well and with such passion, but I can't always see that in her writing. I struggled with Forest of Souls as well I'm afraid.

In this book she features a pic and meanings for each card in the tarot deck and compares/contrasts them for the following decks: Visconti, Marseille, Rider, Golden Dawn Ritual, Egyptian & Shining Tribe. She also adds Sola-Busca in the Minor Arcana section. It is pretty interesting reading .... :)

sapienza

Thanks Kathy. I do prefer books that take a comparative approach. It sounds interesting.

sweet_intuition

I can't wait to read this book. I loved 78 degrees and Forest of the Souls. Rachel is an amazing writer and a brilliant tarotist, and I am sure Tarot Wisdom will be just as stimulating a read as her previous works!

Gazel

Grizabella said:
So Gazel-----tell us what you think. Have you started reading it yet?
I'll tell you what I think, when I get deeper into it.
At the time being my life feels like a sausage in really thin slices - not much time for anything.
Love, Gazel

sstack2

Wisdom: what we all seek

I am currently (almost finished) with 78 Degrees of Wisdom. I find it a useful reference. It sounds like Tarot Wisdom will be my next read. It sounds great.