Tarot for Writers

Sheri

I reviewed the book in an issue of Tarot Reflections. I think it is a fantastic book and a must have! I can't think of a better way of breaking into journaling than doing some of the exercises in the book.

One of the really great things about it is it's potential to be a bridge or "Tarot good will ambassador" to non-Tarot-oriented creative writing communities, by introducing the Tarot as a tool for creative exploration and development. What a gift to the Tarot community AND the creative writing community! :thumbsup:

:love: Sheri

letty

I'm so glad I found this thread! I am going to order this book right away. I love love love using Tarot to create poems, story plots, character development, but I sometimes run out of ways to use it. I am totally going to buy this book.

Also, I wonder if there could be a thread or even a forum for writers here--it would be fun to talk about our various methods, or projects, our spreads, and how they relate to writing.

Kissa

I attended an online course with the author of this book a while ago. Her technique really worked well, among others, she made us write what the characters in the cards were thinking, hpw they werw talking to us and i remember i enjoyed the exercise very much. I even thought if buying the deck she used (Universal Waite that i was not too fond of until then). Corrine Kenner is good. Honestly.

I have been thinking about buying this book for a while. Thx for bringing it back to my top list ;-)

K

jaheath

great book

I ordered this book and got it in last week.

I do a lot of writing, and this book is really fun. I am working on a screenplay for a horror movie I am shooting later this summer, so I bought the Dark Grimoire tarot to use in conjunction with the book.

I did the Writers Celtic Cross she laid out in the book and man, was I floored at how dead on the cards where in relation to the spread.

If you are looking for a way pull that story out of your head (or subconscious) I would recommend this book highly.

As an aside, I used a rather darker deck to outline the horror movie, I wonder if matching a themed deck to the theme of the movie would make a difference in the outcome?

Just curious to the experience of anyone else using this book.

jason

Grizabella

Thanks to a wonderful friend here, I have this book and although I haven't gotten into it yet, it was on my wishlist because I'm a writer (retired, I guess, for now but on the verge of starting a novel) and I really love Corrinne Kenner's books. I've glanced through it and I think it's going to be a great asset.

jaheath

So I finished out

the initial plot for the screen play, as well as constructing the basic character outlines.

It was pretty amazing how the cards (using the Dark Grimoire) brought the characters out of my head.
I had a rough idea, a kind of a murky vision of each one, and the cards brought them to crystal clarity, flaws and all.

I am very happy that with roughly 2 hours work, I was able to outline a 90 page script, and have the beginnings of some subplots and conflict.

I really didn't have to reference the book much more after the first hour, but then again, I am very familiar with the Three Act structure and the Hero's Journey.

Exciting stuff!

DanHoron

Tarot for Writers Online Workshops

You might already know this, but Corrine organizes a web-based Tarot for Writers Meetup Group that meets online every Saturday. http://meetup.com/tarotforwriters/

jaheath

Plotted another story

Got in The Gothic Tarot and tried it out in a writers celtic cross and was very happy with the outline I came up with.

I notice this exercise is making me examine the cards in new ways, to interpret settings or objects. Really gives me a new appreciation for cards I never really studied in depth.

Chara

DanHoron said:
You might already know this, but Corrine organizes a web-based Tarot for Writers Meetup Group that meets online every Saturday. http://meetup.com/tarotforwriters/

Thanks for letting us know about this! I think I saw this mentioned on her Twitter but I see so many tweets a day now I don't remember half of them...

That looks really fun, and helpful. Maybe I'll work up the courage to join!

Also, I'm still in love with this book. I've been buying a lot of theme decks to go with my stories to use for the book. I've found that it enhances the experience, if not the readings.

One of the things I really like about this is that you don't have to stress yourself out over the tarot aspects of this. If you don't like or understand what you draw, it's fine to just shove the cards back in the deck and try again. It's like brainstorming with pictures. Which saves me a lot of paper!

This book has been wonderful for me. Not only does it use tarot and writing in a way that I can understand and use (using tarot cards to help with writing is not a new concept to me, but I've never had much luck with other people's techniques, save for some success with Holly Lisle's), but it's just so...practical! I have a LOT of writing books. I spend way too much money on them, but I've learned from all of them and I'm a better writer for it (I think :D). Still, when I'm staring at a blank page or stuck on a character's motivations, none of those books have helped me, and this one does every time.

Now if only Corrine Kenner could sell discipline in a can! Then I could actually finish these stories.

lijewi

This book looks wonderful! I've had the idea before to try to write a story using my cards, but I've never acted on it... This book looks like great inspiration!