"4 agreements" and the Court Cards

Moonbow

Finding your own belief system to read Tarot is fine with me because there isn't a correct way to read Tarot cards, so I'm interested in what you are discovering and how you use this system. I'm not familiar with the 'Four Agreements' though. Even with a system, Tarot seems to have a way of throwing up an oddity at times, a feeling about a card that needs to be voiced and likely won't make sense if rationalised. So don't rationalise.

Pigeonhole-ing set cards has never appealed to me, so this has substance as long as you don't pigeonhole them to 'fit' the 4 agreements.

Welf

The Four Agreements

1 Be impeccable with your word
2 Don't take anything personally
3 Don't make assumptions
4 Always do your best

I've read The Four Agreements which is really just another book about personal growth and self development. No big secrets which haven't been written about before, though this one dresses it up as being the Toltec way, the way of the shaman.... yeah.. right.... A book, no doubt, brough to attention by some media personality who did a rave about it on their show when the book first came out.

As a basic overview it is simply written, easy to read, though a bit repetitive.... It presents as sound advice, exept that in every day living, life isn't quite as black and white as the book seems to make it out to be. If you were to take it too literally or to an extreme, you could actually keep yourself from examining yourself and end up retarding your own personal growth.

I never knew there was a 4 Agreements Oracle until Sun Chariot mentioned it and I have no clue in what way those oracle cards relate to the book. Plus I don't do oracles.. but..... what I can't figure is, how do those Court card definitions relate to the 4 agreements?

I'm with Sulis... I simply can't get my head around this. Sounds as if the Courts are being so rigidly defined, that they are confined into a narrow static scope allowing for no room for futher development and movement... I know all this sounds rather negative. sigh..... Could be that I simply can't see what you are getting at here Hunter...

Welf

hunter

I'm a she not a he. My Avatar is Ayla from "Clan of the Cavebear", but I guess she looks male when small :-0

I was just experimenting. I think I should have waited longer to share until I had used it longer and given it more thought. Then I would have either discarded it myself, or have been better able to discuss it. Thanks for all your comments and advice. Much appreciated :)

Welf

Ding dong... A bell rings in my head... I think I see what you might be doing here Hunter... Those definitions are not necessarily the ones you would use in a literal sense in a reading? Yes? No? More like a guide? What you have done, is given a general definition of what you see to be the Court 'family' attitudes towards those 4 agreements?

1 Be impeccable with your word
2 Don't take anything personally
3 Don't make assumptions
4 Always do your best

For example... your description of the Pages is how you see all the Pages react, the general attitudes the Pages have towards those 4 agreements?

quote: The pages as unaffected by the belief system. Negatively a bit self absorbed sometimes, but in tune with their needs, not full of shame, and not interested in telling others what to do.

Then in a reading where you see for example, The Page of Cups.... You have the above definition in mind, then take the suit of Cups into consideration, then the positioning of where the card is in a spread... and then whatever meaning (and or message) you feel the Page of Cups has in relationship to the other cards around it.... Something like that?

Pushing it... (being my painful, 'I am trying to understand this' self and getting way above my own head)... Though the Pages share similarities, do you think it could not be so, for example, that the Page of Wands might possibly have a different attitude towards the 4 agreements system than say the Page of Cups... ? and so having one definition to cover all the Pages may not be enough.... ???

And what you are also saying in your first post is, that you don't always use that system. I gather you use it as a clarifier when feel you want extra information?

If I've confused things more... just ignore me... lol...

Welf

gregory

rwcarter said:
I thought he was talking about the energy associated with the Kings and Queens, with the understanding that a man could exhibit the Queen energy and a woman could exhibit the King energy. Maybe I read it wrong.
Ok - fair enough.

Though
Hunter said:
Have any of you read "The Four Agreements"? After I read it, I started seeing the domestication process played out in the court cards.
But it still seems too rigid for my tastes. I find the cards are almost infinitely flexible...