"Child" card in Voyager Tarot: Page or Knight?

stone_lotus

I'm having difficulty discerning if the "Child" card in the Voyager Tarot corresponds to the Page or to the Knight in the more traditional decks.

The order in the LWB is Sage-Child-Woman-Man, suggesting that "Child" corresponds to the Knight, but that just sounds wrong and there have been conflicting reports on the few Web pages I've looked at via a Google search.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

rwcarter

Looking through the companion book, I'd say it's neither. Wanless changed the Court hierarchy to a family hierarchy. The Sage, as grandparent, definitely isn't the Page, nor would it be the Knight. Child might be Page, but I think it's better to accept the family hierarchy as not being equivalent to the Court hierarchy.

If you have any LoS decks other than their RWSCentennial deck, it's just like accepting a LoS deck for what it is and not trying to force it into a RWS framework, cause it's not going to fit anyway. :)

Rodney

stone_lotus

Thanks Rodney, I appreciate the response. I think you're absolutely right.

rwcarter

Thinking about it some more, it seems like the arrangement of the family makes the Sage the foundation of the family which then builds up from the child to the parents.

stone_lotus

Thinking about it some more, it seems like the arrangement of the family makes the Sage the foundation of the family which then builds up from the child to the parents.

Yes....

Maybe the Sage represents the connection of the start and end points of infinity. How we come into this world knowing everything, then are conditioned to forget as we move through childhood, then gradually gain insight back as we age toward death.

It could be a 0 too in that sense, a Fool.

2dogs

The large companion book, Voyager Tarot: Way of the Great Oracle says the Child cards are equivalent to the Pages, the Woman cards similar to the Queens, the Man cards "can be likened to the Knight or King cards" but the Sage cards "have no direct equals" and represent the elders or grandparents within us. It also says all four of the Child cards correspond to the Fool-Child in the Major Arcana.

stone_lotus

It also says all four of the Child cards correspond to the Fool-Child in the Major Arcana.

Thanks 2dogs, I wasn't aware of this. Talk about an interconnected deck! It's got me thinking of other possible correspondences now...

2dogs

There are a lot of correspondences in this book for the court cards - the Woman of Cups gets the Empress, the Moon and the Star, but the Sage of Crystals only the Star, plus they are also linked to mastery of the qualities of two of the minor cards in their suits.