A Deck for Star gazers?

Nemia

I've been more and more fascinated with stargazing, and over the last few months have got to know many constellations. It's a wonderful and exciting new hobby for me - I discovered astrology when I was twelve, that's nearly 40 years ago! I can't express how wonderful it is to see Sagittarius and Scorpio from our sun deck (which I use as a star deck). It makes the whole zodiac come alive.

Now I'd simply love to connect my love for astrology and stargazing with a tarot deck that combines constellations, their mythological lore and tarot archetypes.

Is there anything out there, except for Kay Steventon's Celestial Tarot? I haven't bought it yet because the art covers up the constellations pretty much, and besides, I find some of her visualizations often quite "off". I see the Swan (Cygnus) every night and it flies, it doesn't sit or swim! I can't look at a card that doesn't show the beautiful wings spread wide and pretend it's the Swan only because Steventon painted a swan.

Some cards like Centaurus and Bootes are good, but most cards simply don't reflect what we see in the sky. I like that she included constellations from the Southern Hemisphere, I think she's Australian. I like her basic concept - but she squeezed so much onto these cards that the actual constellations take quite a backseat.

I may still buy it and read the book and probably I'll appreciate the deck much more when I have it in my hand - if I do so, I'd like to emphasize the constellations with a silver pen.

Maybe I'm completely wrong and the Celestial is wonderful and beloved by stargazers?

I'm also aware of the Ptolemaic Constellations Oracle deck - does anyone here use it? It looks wonderful from the visual point of view. But does it work as oracle? I'd love to hear more about it.

Concerning the Grand Jeu de Mlle Lenormand - I'll have to ask over on the Lenormand boards who uses the constellations on the cards when reading, won't I?

I don't have any hope of ever finding a copy of the Starlot tarot, and even if I did - the constellations are recognizable but the tarot associations are not what I'm used to. Yes, I can learn to associate the Emperor with Leo - but do I want to?

So where is the deck for an amateur stargazer who loves mythology and astrology?

Le Fanu

Just for your info, and I can see what you mean about Stevenson's Celestial, the book is very good and- for me - indispensable.

You might also want to check out a new deck in the works called the Astrology Oracle (check out the Oracles forum; I'm in Tapatalk right now so don't know how to link and stuff).

Constellations take more of a front seat. I personally find it a bit confusing but that's astrology for you! But if you have a sound knowledge, it might make more sense to you.

feynrir

Mmmaybe the Liber T?

I find it to be very mythological. There is an element of astrology (with a particular focus on the decans) throughout the cards, to be sure, but I'm not positive that it's heavily enough concerned with what you're looking for.

Just a thought from someone who doesn't know enough šŸ˜

AJ

the stargate deck?

Nemia

Thank you, Le Fanu, I guess I'll buy the Celestial sooner or later, and I won't make the mistake again to buy a deck without the book if there is a book ;-)

I'll be on the lookout for the astrology oracle.

LiberT and Stargate both treat stars as symbols, I see no real, recognizable constellations... and that's what I'm looking for. But the LiberT interests me for other reasons: its connection with the Thoth. I didn't know the Stargate at all; if I open a new collection category (oh how I'd love to ....), it might be star-themed decks... ;-)

And nobody knows the Ptolemaic Constellations Oracle?

https://www.thegamecrafter.com/games/ptolemaic-constellation-oracle-cards

Nemia

Oooh, that's nice! Thank you!!!

Nemia

I checked out on the Internet the astro-mythological cards, i.e. the Grand Jeu de Mlle. Lenormand, and I must say: it's difficult to recognize any of the constellations! It's nearly always seven stars, arranged in very similar patterns.

I know the constellations quite well but I'm really confused by this complex and beautiful deck, in spite of the information given in this link:

https://fennario.wordpress.com/2009/06/22/grand-jeu-constellations/

I'd expect the constellation of Hercules above the image of the hero struggling with the Lion - but no, it is not.

http://learnlenormand.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Grand-Jeu-Lenormand.jpg

This page says the constellation on the 9/hearts is Regulus but Regulus is no constellation at all. It's a star - the main star of Leo. Fine. But I can't see Leo in these stars.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leo_(constellation)

Of course, the pictures of the constellations were taken from an old book, probably from the 18th or 19th century. That would explain why they're not easy to read.

An example.

http://www.cabinetdevoyance.sylviecariou.com/images/cartesLenormand.jpg

These three constellations are supposed to be:

8/spades: Algol (the head of the Medusa in Perseus' hand)
3/spades: canis minor
2/spades: Castor (one the twins' heads in Gemini)

Maybe my eyesight is failing me... but these three constellations look much alike and nothing like Perseus, Canis minor or Gemini to me. And at least Gemini is easy to find and identify.

So I love the concept, like in the Celestial - complex, embedded in a context of mythology and symbols from nature... but the execution is challenging for me.

Nevertheless, I'll try to find the Celestial with book, and the Night Sky playing cards MUST be mine. The Ptolemaic Oracle will come later.

Thank you all for the ideas you gave me and for the fun of checking them out!