tarot software for Mac OS X

Atcandela

I'm looking for a good Tarot software program that will allow me to
do readings (w/a fair choice of decks & spreads), allow for notes, and
journal entries, etc...
I've seen quite a few for windows platform, but hardly anything for
Mac.
If anyone here on the forum has found a Mac based Tarot program to
their liking do forward any information!

much appreciated.. with much blessings.. ~A~

Mimers

Aside from a Tarot widget I found. Nada, zilch. We are neglected. :(

We are a minority in the computer world.

MikeTheAltarboy

But, like tarot readers amongst the masses, we are an elect group dedicated to the idea that computers can be more! :)

tarobones

For Mac Lovers

As a devotee of the Mac myself, I went looking and found aprogram. I don't use tarot software, so I have no personal experience with the program yet, but here's the link http://www.mactarot.com/ Hope this helps. Let us know what you think. BB, Michael

Atcandela

MacTarot..

It's a demo, but has a few limitations.
1) Major Arcana & Celtic Cross spread only.
For$25 you get the full program, w/ I believe a few other deck selections.
Don't know if I can log notes, and journal entries..
looks good though!

Hmm.. am I to guess that there isn't many 3rd party Tarot let alone
good Mac programs out there, possibly because of difficulty in creating
software for OSX?

~A~

OakDragon

There used to be a great program for PC and Mac called Tarot Magic, which you could get from tarot.com. They still sell it, but for the current version (1.25), they say it will only work with OS 9 and not OS X, even under classic. However, I can attest, as a satisfied user of the program, that both versions 1.0 and 1.1 worked fine in OS X under the classic environment, and 1.1 still works under 10.4.x. I do not know if that means that in 1.2x they took out the ability for it to run under classic, which seems weird, or if they simply no longer want to provide tech support for OS X users, and so are lying to keep people from buying it, which seems more likely. I suppose it's up to you as to whether you want to take the risk of getting it.

tarobones

Os X

The problem is not that software for OS X is difficult to make. Companies make choices about hiring software developers and since windows is so much more popular, they go that route. Things are changing though. Now that Apple has gone over to the Intel chip, software is being converted to Universal code, and rather quickly too. So I think the future is bright for Mac versions being on par with windows. BB, Michael

MikeTheAltarboy

And with OS X, devolpement software comes free. With a *bit* more motivation and time, I'd think it wouldn't be too hard at all. Of course, you have to know one of a couple languages. ;-) Java and Objective C are 2, and I think there's a scripting language you can use too. Also, Python, though not directly compiled in like those 2, can be run on OS X without additional installs.

Atcandela

the future for Tarot software??

thank you for your thoughts :)

I'm running OS10.3.9, and have a PB G4 that allows me to run Classic.
granted with the recent Apple changes to the Intel chip..I'm thinking
to possibly wait and see how long OS software will run with the new
technology.

I don't want to invest in something that can't cross over in a stable
manner.
For now.. I will see what I can make do with the few suggested tarot programs out there..though limited .

~A~

Sheri

I recently purchased an iMac (20-inch screen) with a G5 and OS X (alas before Intel processor version). Because I moved from a Windows environment, I also bought Virtual PC for Windows XP, which is a Microsoft XP license and special environment to run Windows on a Mac. I regret not buying more RAM because the Virtual Windows is slower. However, it has allowed me to run software that doesn't have Open Source/free equivalents, such as Orphalese that is only available for Windows.

I feel confident that with the latest directions Microsoft has been going in, consumers are going to get fed up and start abandoning MS for more stable, better documented alternatives such as Linux and Mac, if for no other reason than security. I believe you actually have to be somewhat of a programmer and expend effort to exploit Linux and Mac, which is not the case with Microsoft. Of course, if you are running Microsoft products (like via Virtual PC, you need to be careful to protect yourself because you are open to vulnerabilities then) I only use Virtual PC when I am disconnected from the broadband.

valeria