High Priestess Vs The Empress - Sex Appeal?

Sophie

Excuse me, but why should enjoyment of sex in women - "the one-night stand" - be thought of as a reversed attribute? Isn't that hopeless old-fashioned? Why should enjoyment of sex for its own sake mean someone is a whore? Actually, a whore does not enjoy sex or have one-night stands. Whores exchange sexual favours for money, gifts or other property. In that sense, many wives (and some husbands) are whores.

To me, any of the queen - NOT reversed - might enjoy a one-night stand or short fling - but approach it differently.

The Empress and the High Priestess might both like one too, but again, would approach their flings differently. The High Priestess will seduce with mystery and allure and won't stick around in the morning. She is the more heady of the two. The Empress will enchant with open-handed sensuality, she might move in a few days, cook breakfast, before being on her way. She will nurture.

My thinking is - most women have a bit of both inside them.

BLFO

obsidian_queen said:
Any one of the Queens reversed would be my guess, along with the right cards - lots of pentacles and wands to denote physical activity etc.... Just their motives and what may trigger their behaviour will likely differ because of their suit quality.etc.... And somehow though, the actual term "whore" is making me cringe. A lil harsh maybe?. I doubt people are born promiscuous..IMO I feel like this stems from SOMETHING - whether it's an experience or whether it's lack of self esteem...you get me? Looking at something that way I think might affect your ability to objectively view a querent or the people you're reading about, since it's a little judgemental. Then all of a sudden YOUR views are in the reading - and unless it's about you, you're the messenger. That's my view.

I don't think it is judgemental because if you get these cards concerning somebody who is coming your way romantically, I don't think you would care to know why they are acting out in that way. I mean, let's say a woman meets a man whom she thinks is her "soulmate" and think that he is smart, intelligent, kind and could make great husband material. And a Knight of Cups shows up. But the guy just wants to have sex with her (hit it and quit it) for only a week before he moves to someone else. If I was giving a reading to this woman, I think she would care less why he acts this way, but wants to know if he wants to have a serious romantic relationship or just a convenient sexual relationship. So I just use the word "whore" as a way of saying a person who uses sex for selfish purposes or to gain monetary or social status.

I think that there are probably cards concerning people like this and if we can discover them in relationship readings it can save the querant from having a broken heart.

I just feel that there should be a consensus on which cards recognize the "whore" for both male and females. The one-night standers, the goldiggers, the jiggalos, the social climbers. I am not referring to people who are having sex simply fun and pleasure that is mutual. I am talking about unrequited love type of sex. One sided sex.

Sophie

But that's the woman's problem - her expectations leading her astray. I don't think wanting sex for a week rather than for life is selfish. It's a natural human urge. Unless the guy (or woman) PRETENDS to want to be a soulmate in order to have sex with that woman, then dumps her and leaves her heartbroken - in which case, I'd expect to see a card like the 7 of Swords, or some such card of strategy; and reversed kings/queens. And a Magician, maybe, in his more manipulative mood; and for a woman, a High Priestess rx, who can be very manipulative.

Wonderwoman

BLFO said:
I don't think it is judgemental because if you get these cards concerning somebody who is coming your way romantically, I don't think you would care to know why they are acting out in that way. I mean, let's say a woman meets a man whom she thinks is her "soulmate" and think that he is smart, intelligent, kind and could make great husband material. And a Knight of Cups shows up. But the guy just wants to have sex with her (hit it and quit it) for only a week before he moves to someone else. If I was giving a reading to this woman, I think she would care less why he acts this way, but wants to know if he wants to have a serious romantic relationship or just a convenient sexual relationship. So I just use the word "whore" as a way of saying a person who uses sex for selfish purposes or to gain monetary or social status.

I think that there are probably cards concerning people like this and if we can discover them in relationship readings it can save the querant from having a broken heart.

I just feel that there should be a consensus on which cards recognize the "whore" for both male and females. The one-night standers, the goldiggers, the jiggalos, the social climbers. I am not referring to people who are having sex simply fun and pleasure that is mutual. I am talking about unrequited love type of sex. One sided sex.

BLFO, I know this is probably leading into another thread...but...could you kindly point out which cards indicate the golddiggers, man-whores,one-nighters, jiggolos, etc....It would help IMMENSELY!! :)

BLFO

Mmm, I don't know actually. I was talking. Perhaps we could create a thread on that subject.

I was probably rambling on about the sex issue concerning "whores". I know for sure that Knight of Cups is a person (more so a man) that only wants sex for sex sake without taking into consideration of the other person's feelings.

Perhaps a goldigger would be in a pentacles, maybe even cups.

Umbrae

Majors = archetypes

a lot of stuff being discussed is covered in the act of reading, and spreads (hey stop sniggering there)...

Remember folks - you should be able to read with only the majors, lots of folks have done it for years.

It's also to be rememberd that women did not suddenly discover masturbation after 'Sex and the City', and BOB was around long before then also.

And there IS a wholesomeness to male and/or female sexual hunger - ALTHOUGH still a lot of folks (yeah - even right here in Enlightenment Land) that will disagree, and see ANY sexual hunger as base, or of 'low quality' or Slutty.

Myself? I appreciate honesty. even if folks call honesty slutty. And yeah...this IS the realm of the HP.

Sophie

BLFO said:
I was probably rambling on about the sex issue concerning "whores". I know for sure that Knight of Cups is a person (more so a man) that only wants sex for sex sake without taking into consideration of the other person's feelings.
Not the knights of cups I have known and dated - they are far too romantic and loving for that. Perhaps too romantic. You must be confusing with the Knight of Wands or Swords ;)

I'm with you, Umbrae. There is a great deal of dishonesty around sex - still now. Someone who wants sex is called inconsiderate? Sex for the sake of sex is wonderful, it's beautiful, it's life-affirming and it is highly considerate for the other. It says - I love your wonderfulness - now, and want to share my intimacy with you - now. Why is that wrong? Why is that inconsiderate? What is wrong with the here and now and the sharing of deep intimacy and sexuality between two people? Why must the future interfere? Why can't two people make love without one of them immediately thinking "will s/he marry me?" and placing the relationship not in the now, where they are, but in the future, where they are not? You might just as easily say that someone who wants sex for the sake of a long-term relationship is being selfish and expecting more than is on offer - wanting to tie down the other. Love can only be freely offered and shared in the moment. That's how long-term relationships grow.

But that is for another thread, definitely ;)

However, this does bring me back to the High Priestess. She is all immanence - she lives in the now. She can easily give herself tonight, and not tomorrow - and that does not make her a slut. Simply a woman who belongs entirely to herself, and gives herself freely, as she desires - for a night, or for life. Her love is all the more valuable for that reason.

firemaiden

Wonderwoman said:
BLFO, I know this is probably leading into another thread...but...could you kindly point out which cards indicate the golddiggers, man-whores,one-nighters, jiggolos, etc....It would help IMMENSELY!! :)

They are whatever cards you want them to be, be creative.

BLFO

Helvetica said:
Not the knights of cups I have known and dated - they are far too romantic and loving for that. Perhaps too romantic. You must be confusing with the Knight of Wands or Swords ;)

Well, I am going by what some books say. Unfortunately, I never had a romantic King of Cups come my way. And thank God, if you are correct, I am glad I never had a Knight Wands/Swords come my way!

[I am looking at my tarot journal to make sure]

Okay, I did get a Knight Swords. The Dj dude I met last week invited me to see him after his show but he dissed me. I got a Knight Swords as a communciation card. I associated it as him abruptly not wanting to talk to me anymore, but perhaps it could mean that he only wanted to communicate with me because he wanted a short term sexual relationship?

Mmmm. Now I am confused. Ah, he was possible a he-whore. And I gave him no play that is why the thought of me as a 6 Wands.

We need to start a thread concerning sexuality and Major and Minor arcanas.

Sophie

BLFO said:
Okay, I did get a Knight Swords. The Dj dude I met last week invited me to see him after his show but he dissed me. I got a Knight Swords as a communciation card. I associated it as him abruptly not wanting to talk to me anymore, but perhaps it could mean that he only wanted to communicate with me because he wanted a short term sexual relationship?
That was your conclusion at the time,if I remember - and since you realised that, you had the option to back out (doesn't make him a bad man - just you and he a mismatch).

BLFO said:
We need to start a thread concerning sexuality and Major and Minor arcanas.
That would be interesting ;)