Which book?

sapienza

I've been following the thread on Traditional Astrology by Minderwiz with great interest. I'd like to pick up a book but am not sure which to get. I have already read 'The Real Astrology' by Frawley and am now tossing up between either:

'Classical Astrology for Modern Living' by Lee Lehman which was recommended to me once, or

'A Practical Guide to Traditional Astrology' by Joseph Crane, which I haven't heard as much about.

Crane's book is way easier for me to get over here in Oz, but I can find a way to get the Lehman book if it's significantly better.

While I don't think I'm quite ready to abandom modern astrology altogether, I'm certainly keen to begin incorporating the traditional techniques. Any thoughts would be much appreciated. :)

Minderwiz

If Crane's book is easier to get hold of, I'd go for that. It's not a long book at all, so don't expect to learn everything in one volume. It will give you a good start as a text. Lehman has a quirky approach, which is not strictly traditional but incorporates traditional techniques. I'm not even sure she would see this book as a reasonable reflection of her present stance but it does show ways in which some traditional techniques can be adapted for a modern approach to Astrology.

Crane provides a lot of references at the end of his chapters to classical and medieval writers, so it's a good source for further progression. One thing I like though is the contrast between Frawley and Lehman, especially when it comes to horary.

sapienza

Thanks so much for the feedback. I think I'll pick up a copy of Crane's book to start with. I have a Solarfire Classical natal report which is written by Lehman and includes lots of additional info so between that and Crane and Frawley and the Traditional thread here I should have enough to at least get me started. :)

Minderwiz

At some stage, you might consider a good book on the history of Astrology. James Herschel Holden's A History Of Horoscopic Astrology is quite good and goes from Greeks to Modern Day. Even better but much more expensive is Nick Campion's two volume opus, The Dawn Of Astrology and a History Of Western Astrology.