Sherlock Holmes Tarot: how are you using it?

Winterchild

Your wish can be granted:

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/jane-austen/ :)

I would say The Times is used as The World card because it was literally the main source of info as to what was going on in the world at the time, but in Sherlock Holmes he would often read about his own completed cases in the Times, or Watson would, which kind of fits in with the traditional meaning of the tarot card.

TarotDreamer

I'll confess...

Just found this thread, so I'll go ahead and confess...

Growing up, my exposure to Sherlock Holmes was only through the black and white movies that starred Basil Rathbone as Holmes. I had never read the works of Doyle.

I got the deck last month, after seeing a few of the cards online, and knew I had to have it. I didn't let not having read the stories stop me from purchasing the deck. Now that I have it, it has fast become one of my favorite decks, if not my favorite. Since getting it, I have used it everyday for my daily draws, and to answer specific questions. I appreciate how the deck serves both my logical and intuitive sides when I read with it.

Having said that, I've found myself watching Holmes online: I've gotten into a series that aired in the '50s, the British series from the '80s-'90s, and the series "Sherlock," that airs on PBS/Masterpiece Theater.

Still haven't started reading the stories, but I keep my eye on the books when I visit the bookstores in my area, so it's just a matter of time...

shadowdancer

I want to want this deck, I really do. But I cannot see the images as being a natural fit for me to read with my Tarot head on. I have seen Sherlock, Elementary and have read the complete works
of SH ~ at least twice. It is in fact, my island book of choice if I could only choose one. So I mean it when I say I want to work with this deck. But something doesn't feel right. :( If you have an e~reader I would recommend the short stories at least. They are public domain and available for free.

feynrir

I want to want this deck, I really do. But I cannot see the images as being a natural fit for me to read with my Tarot head on. I have seen Sherlock, Elementary and have read the complete works
of SH ~ at least twice. It is in fact, my island book of choice if I could only choose one. So I mean it when I say I want to work with this deck. But something doesn't feel right. :( If you have an e~reader I would recommend the short stories at least. They are public domain and available for free.
I've read many a tale of Sherlock Holmes, myself. (Not to your degree but still!) I've gotta agree with you in that I don't see this deck working for me as a reading deck. I think the biggest shame of it all is that I can't get enough of this deck's artwork. It's just gorgeous.

Girl Archer

Your wish can be granted:

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/jane-austen/ :)

I would say The Times is used as The World card because it was literally the main source of info as to what was going on in the world at the time, but in Sherlock Holmes he would often read about his own completed cases in the Times, or Watson would, which kind of fits in with the traditional meaning of the tarot card.

gee thanks winterchild :D And, how about Bradshaw's being used as the Wheel of Fortune?

Dark Victory '39

I hear what you're saying Shadowdancer, about the vibe possibly being off. I've gone back and forth incessently over whether to get this; i've read the complete short stories more times than i can count and have the two gigantic compilations on my insomnia portion of my night stand. Anyway, apprently unbeknownst to me i actually clicked on the buy button on amazon for deck only, and now i guess it's coming to me. (grins. subliminally must have wanted it huh?) We'll see. I think what i'm thinking is that i'll be able to find some use for it; maybe it will be more of an oracle read, or i'll select a sherlock card to pry into a reading i do w/ another deck. And it's weird because i do kind of like the art, but it doesn't at all ascribe to how i think of the Holmesian world.

RunningWild

I just picked this up this afternoon. I like it. The card stock is nice, not too laminated, not too stiff. The artwork is a little busy, but that's fine, I have other decks that are busy and they work just fine. A glance at all the cards and I could see how they relate to the Waite Smith system even without remembering all the stories I've read over the years (and honestly, I haven't read a Sherlock Holmes mystery since I was a teen and that was none-of-your-business years ago LOL)

Dark Victory '39

hmm...first impressions

Well, i have to say i'm glad i accidentally ordered the deck and book set (i had intended to just do deck only)-- as otherwise i wouldn't have (with all the male characters) been able to figure out who is who. I don't know, there's aspects to this i like, the bright colors are oddly appealing in a darker themed deck, and i find the guidebook's take on interpretations pretty interesting. I have to say from someone who's a fan of the stories i wish some of the more unusual scenes from various stories had been used. i'm thinking of stories like, 'the dancing men,' and 'speckled band' where there's just some real fantastical and visually arresting scenes; instead, there's a lot of men in typical detective scenes; leaning over bodies, walking down dark streets, and there's nothing wrong w/ that. Haven't done a reading yet, so that's when the real 'evidence' will come in as to if this is going to work for me.

shadowdancer

Well, I did buy it last week. (Twas cheap on Amazon, and I already had stuff in my cart so thought, why not)

I am coming round quickly that this is a deck that can be read with. Have gone through half the deck and made some notes in my trusty journal, and realised there are a lot of cards that actually do reflect the traditional RWS, but in a refreshingly new way.

Those that don't have enough going on in the card that you can use intuition and go by the card image to still get a lot of info.

There are a few stories I will re-read in order to understand where the creator was coming from.

Once I have gone through the whole deck may offer a few readings on this forum with it. Not convinced it will be a regular reading deck, but from what I have seen? I won't be shying away from it.

Oh - white borders were taken off immediately. Looks sooooo much better...lol. Have to wait on replacement cards where 3 were damaged but still useable in the meantime.

The book was good. Nice to see all cards given full attention and not just the Majors. That is a pet peeve of mine with many books but not in this instance.

WIll be a nice deck to consider for objective / no nonsense / no fluff readings. (Can't see it fitting the 'when will I meet Mr. Right type readings :D :D )