Some size questions

blue_fusion

Just thinking in general terms, though I'm thinking of using them for some ideas that I recently had. So anyway:

1. What's a good size for a circular deck? Not too small of course (because it makes details less visible), and not too big because it might be very unwieldly. What do you think's a good size then? It's probably going to be a small production, so there is that as a consideration (It can be a bit big and unwieldly - though perhaps not the size of dinner plates! - because due to it's relative rarity, people would't shuffle it as much).

2. What do you think is the smallest size that's "acceptable" for a spread cloth?

Grigori

blue_fusion said:
1. What's a good size for a circular deck?

I think anything bigger than a CD is too big, and probably closer to a drink coaster is better.

blue_Fusion said:
2. What do you think is the smallest size that's "acceptable" for a spread cloth?

Depends how big the table is. I like a spread cloth to be more like a table cloth, enough to cover the edges :D Failing that, perhaps A3.... :)

Alta

Agree anything CD size is too big to handle at all, but the drinks coaster idea (unless they are larger in AU) is too small, ino anyway. Maybe about a cm smaller in diameter than a CD would be a good size.

AJ

I seldom do large spreads, so most of the spread cloths I've made are 18" X 22". I wouldn't want them any smaller than that.

3.5" to 4" is a good round deck size for me.

looking forward to seeing what you have up your sleeve!

missy

My Lo Scarabeo Circle of Life tarot is 4 1/4" and I love the size. Anything smaller I feel it would be hard to see the artwork. The card stock is perfect for riffle shuffling; Lo Scarabeo picked the perfect card stock for this deck. :D I recommend if you have the chance getting your hands on a copy and see how it feels in the hand and how it shuffles. :)

I have pre-ordered another Lo Scarabeo round deck, the Shining Angels deck, which is supposed to be 5 inches in diameter per the Llewellyn website. I can definitely see this as a usable size, if the card stock is similar to the Circle of Life. In that case, I believe it will shuffle easily.

Although I do a regular riffle shuffle, with my hands completely around the cards, I don't think one needs to get one's hands entirely around a round deck in order to riffle shuffle it. I think one could riffle shuffle using just the card edges. This card stock is flexible. I have larger hands, so someone with smaller hands may have another opinion. But I really love my Circle of Life deck! :party:

blue_fusion

Thanks for the responses!

Apparently a cd's diameter is a little less than 5 inches. I was thinking of cards 5-6 inches in diameter so maybe that might work. I think coaster size might be too small - well, actually it depends on the details. I'm thinking of getting a circular die-cut blade done since I've yet to produce a circle deck, and I thought it would be good to get a "standard" size which I can re-use in case I want to make other circle decks in the future.

2ft by 2 ft (which is close to 18" by 22") sounds workable. I'm thinking of making freebie spreadcloths since I've never done those before. Maybe screen print patterns on them so they seem specially-made for the deck (like, I use the card back pattern as a design for the spreadcloth).

gregory

missy said:
I have pre-ordered another Lo Scarabeo round deck, the Shining Angels deck, which is supposed to be 5 inches in diameter per the Llewellyn website. I can definitely see this as a usable size, if the card stock is similar to the Circle of Life. In that case, I believe it will shuffle easily.
Well, it's ACTUALLY 4 1/4 inches in diameter - I have one here. The EXCELLENT box is 4 3/4. Card stock -as always - is excellent. It shuffles very easily.

I don't know WHERE Llewellyn got the 5 inches idea. It is quite clear in the LS catalogue that it's the same size as Circle of Life.