Intensive Deck Study Support Lounge - Part V

thorhammer

Hi, everyone :) The old thread has become rambling again, so here we are with a new thread! I thought it a good time to start a new thread for the Intensive Deck Study (IDS) Support Lounge (thanks, Alta, for your help :)). Most of what follows is copied shamelessly :D from Rodney's intro post from the previous thread.

The IDS is the group to be in if you've got a burning desire to get to know that one deck really really well! It's got depth, it's got history and meat and it'll keep you going for months on end, just studying the background and journalling with the cards. Any deck is fair game for this, but bear in mind that many modern decks are, to a degree, RWSs in fancy dress:D and the symbolism is often diluted or excised altogether. Because the IDS is intensive, decks with a deep and satisfying history or background tend to yield the best results.

The illustrious history of this venture can be viewed in the below threads:

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4

Anyone is welcome to join in at any time, with any deck, for any duration they care to commit to. To join, all you have to do is post in this thread to say you're joining and let us know what deck(s) you'll be using.

This thread is where you can post about your difficulties, your triumphs, breakthroughs, and maybe even chat with others using the same deck in their own IDS. This thread is not about judging people's difficulties or failures, but about supporting people when/if they run into problems with their IDS.

Many of the first group of IDSers found it useful to change their signatures to reflect their participation in the IDS. Doing so identifies you as an IDSer across the forums and also reinforces your commitment to your IDS. As with everything else in the IDS, this step is voluntary.

Most IDSers have found it helpful to post a list of pledges about what they will/won't do during their IDS. Here is one post about what did and didn't work for me in making (and keeping) my pledges for the first IDS.

afrosaxon's synopsis of the IDS can be found here.

Current list of IDSers and Decks:
2_Journey - Fairytale Tarot (for writing) & Tarot of the Four Elements (for reading)
Alamaris ~ Liber T: Tarot of the Stars Eternal
Angie9 ~ Victorian Romantic Tarot
Asbestos Mango ~ Bosch Tarot
ariela ~ Transparent Tarot
Bat Chicken ~ William Blake: Tarot of the Creative Imagination
Brigid ~ Tarot of the Masters (Ricklef)
Carissimo ~ Liber T: Tarot of Stars Eternal
Carla ~ Universal Waite Tarot
cherylleebest ~ Rider Waite Tarot
Chiriku ~ Dame Fortune's Wheel Tarot
Chiska ~ Tarot of the Secret Forest
DevilishAngel ~ Fenestra Tarot
Emily ~ Thoth Tarot
emmsma ~ Templar Tarot
Fairybugg ~ Ironwing Tarot
Faolainn Storm ~ Greenwood Tarot and Tarot of the Sidhe
Flaxen ~ Liber T: Tarot of Stars Eternal
Golden Moon ~ Pictorial Key Tarot
Hemera ~ Dark Angels Tarot
ILuvEire ~ Golden Tarot (Kat Black) and the Mystical Lenormand
jackdaw* ~ Brian Williams Minchiate Tarot
Jyscal ~ Rider Waite Tarot and Angel Oracle
kabang ~ Medieval Scapini Tarot
kinanoe ~ Enchanted Tarot
Kissay ~ Rider Waite Smith Tarot
Kittiann ~ Lo Scarabeo Tarot
kmartin60 ~ Vargo Gothic Tarot
LavenderMist ~ Renaissance Tarot (Williams) & Servants of the Light Tarot
Lewen ~ Greenwood Tarot
LotusSong ~ Thoth Tarot
Master_Margarita ~ Bohemian Gothic Tarot
Mariana ~ Victorian Romantic Tarot
Mellaenn ~ Haindl Tarot
Mi-Shell ~ GreenWood Tarot
nirvie ~ Legacy of the Divine Tarot
NoelleNoey ~ Mystic Faerie Tarot
olivia1 ~ Fairytale Tarot & Robin Wood Tarot
NamasteIndia ~ Rider Waite Tarot
Promise ~ Songs For The Journey Home Tarot
Ramona ~ Motherpeace Tarot
redflash ~ Greenwood Tarot
rwcarter ~ Mythic Tarot
shiza ~ Thoth Tarot
Simsy ~ Sacred Circle Tarot
SistaSpirit ~ Rider Waite Tarot
starlightexp ~ Jean Noblet Tarot
Skydancer ~ Sweet Twilight Tarot
SolSionnach ~ Shining Woman Tarot
Tarot Orat ~ Templar Tarot - The Journey
Tharivol ~ Clow cards
The Guided Hermit ~ Via Tarot
vanity ~ Paulina Tarot
Welf ~ Bohemian Gothic Tarot
Wendywu ~ Ironwing Tarot
yaraluna ~ Jodo-Camoin Tarot de Marseilles
yirabeth ~ Shadowscapes Tarot
yukinkoicy ~ Shapeshifter Tarot
Yvresse ~ Sweet Twilight
zan_chan ~ Tarot de Marseille (Grimaud) & Thoth Tarot

\m/ Kat

zan_chan

EDT: reserved for any future necessity....

yirabeth

Hehe, so was I! Kept hitting refresh on the forum and wondering if I was in the wrong section lol.

~Yira

zan_chan

I quite like the new intro to the first post. Excellent summation.

As always a big thank you to Kat for leading us in this wonderful endeavor. Suffice it to say that I have gotten more out of 3 1/2 months hanging around in this thread than I would have in years of scrambling my way through various decks.

(Thanks to Alta, too, for getting us all set up!)

thorhammer

Sorry about the delay, guys - I'm at work and got stuck in the dullest meeting ever. I thought I might actually get brain damage.

\m/ Kat

yirabeth

Hehe, I think we'll survive! Although now we're hoping you didn't get brain damage, but because your brain is damaged you don't realize it..... :eek:

~Yira

Wendywu

Yay - new playground :D

Llynn

Hiya, just checking in to find a new part to the thread!

By accident I noticed the New Scientist weekly magazine (20 February 2010) has a wonderful article about the possible origins of writing in the Stone Age. I find it exciting for two reasons: firstly my IDS with the Shining Woman Tarot, secondly I've always been fascinated by our Stone Age Ancestors (and humanity's evolution in general).

The author of the article is Kate Ravilious and she is writing about the work of Genevieve von Petzinger. Basically and quoting from the article: ' French caves are known for their prehistoric rock art. But also marked on the walls around the paintings are 26 symbols that have appeared again and again at French sites across 25,000 years of prehistory. Early signs suggest that many of these symbols crop up in other parts of the world too, leading some to wonder if symbolic communication arose with early humans.'

The earliest known pictographic writing was 5,000 years ago - but it had to start somewhere! Maybe humanity's "creative explosion" which happened 30,000 to 40,000 years ago involved not only great art work but also setting up the basis for writing.

Sorry that this post isn't directly related to my IDS - it just reinforced my prejudices ;) 'Modern' human brains usually work the same no matter where, or when, you live on this planet - it's the culture that determines the context, and the individual which gives the meaning, the basic neuro-chemistry is the same. Why should it be any different for our ancestors? Sorry, again, just rambling now - will stop :)

Best wishes to everyone
~~Lynn

thorhammer

Please don't apologise, Llynn - yours is the first post that actually bears on an IDS, including all my own :p

I can totally see the significance of what you're saying to your own IDS. Go you! No doubt I've said this already, but it bears repeating . .. the Shining Woman was my first deck, and I loved it. The adorable PathWalker has just sent off a replacement copy to me, and I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on it. It's such a great deck.

\m/ Kat

Wendywu

That is really interesting Llynn - I think I shall have to get a copy of that edition of New Scientist. Fascinating :)