Tarot and...?

kittiann

I grew up in a fundamentalist Christian family. One day in elementary school, I wandered to the back of the town's library looking for a book on Chinese mythology for a report, and ended up taking home a copy of the I Ching. It was fortunetelling, definitely the work of the devil; and my mom forbidding it of course made it all the more interesting to me :)

Five years later, I was a gothy highschooler with a love for an extremely fluffy branch of wicca. My dad's apartment was literally steps from the local New Age shop, and I spent some time with the Rider Waite I found there; and my love for tarot was born. Since then I've moved on and am following an eclectic pagan path, but my intense love for tarot, the runes, and the I Ching has definitely not failed.

I've never really been interested in anything I'd classify as 'paranormal'. Ghosts, Ouija boards, psychics - they're just not as interesting to me. I don't not believe they exist or work; it's just that I don't have any personal experience, and haven't yet made up my mind and don't see a reason to. *shrug* it's not something that attracts me.

I've never really been into crystals, though I do have a lovely calcite sphere that I use as a sun representation on my altar; and a quartz sphere for the moon. I'm actually moving slowly back towards Wicca these past few months (rather then just a general pagan leaning), possibly because I've been spending so much time with the Golden Dawn, on which a lot of Wicca is based. I've always been interested in study: mythology, the occult, divination.. but as Marina says, a lot of it is purely academic. I don't believe in a literal pantheon as some pagans do, and I actually don't practice a lot of divination. I just like to know the systems :D

greatdane

:))

I feel a great kinship to many of you as I see we have explored all different paths and directions and taken what we wanted from them, left what we didn't and made things our own. I can't say I'm STRONGLY into just one thing. Crystals, yes, I have some, but don't know much about all the stones, I do love the denseness and feeling of them, particularly quartz crystal and since energy can be stored in objects, I believe quartz crystals help me focus. Whether that's real or a placebo (there's my psych background again), does it really matter? To me, it's all about attuning what's inside to the Universe and being in touch with myself and my feelings. I don't feel things come from "out there", but we can access things to put ourselves in touch with the rest of the Universe. I think some of you can relate to what I mean.

May you all be blessed along whatever road you choose and may your road not have too many speedbumps or potholes :),

GD

kittiann

greatdane said:
Crystals, yes, I have some, but don't know much about all the stones, I do love the denseness and feeling of them, particularly quartz crystal and since energy can be stored in objects, I believe quartz crystals help me focus. Whether that's real or a placebo (there's my psych background again), does it really matter? To me, it's all about attuning what's inside to the universe and being in touch with myself and my feelings. I don't things come from "out there", but we can access things to put ourselves in touch with the rest of the universe. I think some of you can to relate to what I mean.
GD

I love what you said there, especially about whether it's real or a placebo. My hubby has a bachelor's in psychology, and asks me all the time how I can believe this stuff. He says 'that stuff only makes any difference because you think it does'.. and I always respond 'what does it matter?'. Personally, I think taking pills for a mental state is ridiculous, but I don't make fun of him. If something works, it works, and who cares why? I'm of the opinion the million of things out there we can't explain, we just can't explain *yet*. Eventually, science will get around to explaining what a lot of us already know to be true :)

greatdane

Hey, Kitti!

Tell your hubby I believe in the Scientific Method, was walking around with psych mags under my arm at 17, am a skeptic regarding many things, but with his background, he should know, if it ain't broke, don't try to psychoanalyze it! :)))

I know enough to know I don't know nearly enough.

Blessings to all, and may all of your revel in doing your path, your way,

GD

nisaba

greatdane said:
Not trying to pry, not asking any specifics, but in the general area of what one might term, metaphysical, is tarot it for you or are you interested in other things that tarot is just part of? I mean anything else, like crystals, a Pagan or Wiccan path, just into nature, or is tarot pretty much it? Again, not trying to ask specifics or pry, just wondering if tarot it for you of and in itself, or part of other interests in the very general metaphysical world.

GD
I am interested in Tarot in the same way as I am interested in driving cars or cooking food. It accomplishes something for me.

It just so happens that I have a belief-system.

One of the best readers I know in my local community is an atheistic sciences-trained person.

papercut

I'm really only interested in tarot, some oracles, and playing cards.

I'm not interested in crystals (though they are pretty!), or astrology, or caballah, I Ching, runes, or anything else metaphysical. I'm an atheist and a skeptic ... very science-y. People are always surprised to find out that I read tarot. Actually, most of my friends are skeptical types too, and I know some of them think less of me for having a tarot habit (pffft, like I care what others think :p ).

I've tried to work out *why* I only like tarot out of the whole metaphysical buffet, but I have no idea. My dad has always been into astrology and the I Ching, so it isn't because of lack of exposure.

I just like cards, I guess.

gregory

You know, GD - for a "total beginner" as you've said you are in a few threads - you don't sound like one..... :confused:

Nina*

gregory said:
You know, GD - for a "total beginner" as you've said you are in a few threads - you don't sound like one..... :confused:
That's so funny; I was JUST thinking something along that line...

Personally I'm into tarot, crystals, I Ching, Herbs, Kabbalah, Aura Soma and attars.

I'm sure I've forgotten a few things here...

stefficus

gregory said:

she just smrt. :laugh:

i'm relatively new to tarot, but i have such a background in other... er, "things," that it wasn't that difficult to dive in and at least as intelligent questions about it and have fairly strong opinions. *grin* it's only as i got further in that i realized how VERY clueless i was/am. before i thought i was just kinda clueless.

i've always been interested in both occultish things AND science-y things. i can't understand why everyone seems to think that so odd. if we like chocolate ice cream, can we not also like vanilla? i don't understand the question. ;)

i find i'm interested in almost all of it, though i'm not INTO all of it, if that makes sense. for a while, i studied herbalism (of a practical nature) anywhere i could get my hands on it and that naturally led to references to more outre uses of herbs, which associates with crystals and which then leads to dowsing and sacred sites. it all bleeds together.

(nina! that's my favorite line from that book!)

Nina*

stefficus said:
(nina! that's my favorite line from that book!)
Mine too. I remember it made me lose my breath completely.

On topic.... I'm also into meditation and yoga. :D