How Many Decks are Enough?

greatdane

Hmmmm? Gg???

I'm sensing you are looking through Wendy's collection about now....

GD

nisaba

greatdane said:
I have a feeling decks are chattier to you, Nisaba, because I don't think you get decks you don't feel like you want to read with either.
<cackle> Yes, I do try to enjoy them.

Le Fanu

I'm actually with Debra on this (if we are suggesting how many decks is enough, I would agree). Four. For me, A RWS, a Thoth, a historic and than an easy-to-read theme deck that you just *like*.

Of course I have way too many but I *feel* that 4 would be enough if one were serious about it.

But of course what one has, pales in insignificance next to what one wants. This is very bad. I read a term for this the other day in a pyschology book review; "the Glamour of the Potential". If one were not haunted by the glamour of potential, four would be enough.

nisaba

Le Fanu said:
I read a term for this the other day in a pyschology book review; "the Glamour of the Potential". If one were not haunted by the glamour of potential, four would be enough.
<clenches fists> The author should be fed into a butcher's meat mincer ...

Honestly, I don't believe in literary censorship - everyone should be allowed to write and distribute what they like.

But that comment and your inferences ... I can feel 451 degrees approaching ...

greatdane

oooh, glamour of potential...

Like that, Le Fanu. Let's face it, man or woman, are we ever really happy with what we have? Really? Even I say I'm happy with say four tarot decks (only have two now, so that gives me some leeway), I'm not happy with just four books, or four cd or dvds. I love how buddhism looks at greed and wanting and dissatisfaction as being basically the cause of all our problems. Hard to argue with that. But I digress...anyone have a BG they want to sell? lol

The crowned one

greatdane said:
Like that, Le Fanu. Let's face it, man or woman, are we ever really happy with what we have? Really? Even I say I'm happy with say four tarot decks (only have two now, so that gives me some leeway), I'm not happy with just four books, or four cd or dvds. I love how buddhism looks at greed and wanting and dissatisfaction as being basically the cause of all our problems. Hard to argue with that. But I digress...anyone have a BG they want to sell? lol

Socrates said: He who is not contented with what he has, would not be contented with what he would like to have.

It pertains to everything including our tarot decks. What he meant to say was "happiness and satisfaction come from within" ;) Western and Eastern philosophy agree.

Amanda

greatdane said:
Right now, if you had, oh, 500 dollars burning a hole in your pocket, which decks would you get and would THAT be enough lol.

GD

LOL - The 2 on my wishlist in my profile, and the Ancestral Path deck that I've missed out on twice now in the trading forum... and no, I can't see that being enough for too long. It's like my beliefs in what is possible- it'll just keep expanding! :D

nisaba

The crowned one said:
It pertains to everything including our tarot decks. What he meant to say was "happiness and satisfaction come from within" ;) Western and Eastern philosophy agree.
I would actually describe myself as a fundamentally happy person, although tehre are problem-areas in my life, materialistic stuff being a part of it. As a bedrock basis of my personality, I am content.

I was heartbroken when some years ago an ex of mind -er- disposed of more than half my then-collection, but that was at least as much about violation and malice as about the losses themselves.

Collecting gives me joy. When I'm broke, I can go months without buying a deck, no problem. I'm still a happy person.

GadgetGirl

nisaba said:
I was heartbroken when some years ago an ex of mind -er- disposed of more than half my then-collection, but that was at least as much about violation and malice as about the losses themselves.

[shocked] May the fleas of a thousand camels infest their armpits! (Meant in the nicest possible way of course).

Sulis

I have enough, in fact I have too many. I have a core of about 10 - 12 decks that I use for reading that I wouldn't get rid of but I keep meaning to get around to getting rid of the rest; they never get used and just sit around in their boxes. Every now and then I trade one or give one away to someone who will love and use it more than I do. I'm not a collector so I don't really need them and they were probably all bought in the mythical search for 'the one'.