using a box with salt

The crowned one

It is the placebo effect. If you beleive: it will, if you do not, it won't. UBC has done some ground breaking research on this recently.

I beleive if your reader lost her ability to keep her cards in salt, as funny as it sounds to me, her readings would lose their accuracy until she changed her beliefs or managed a new supply of salt. It is real to her, as real as it is unreal to me.

gregory

Salt attracts moisture...... Even if I believed this, there is no way I would risk actually doing it.

The crowned one

gregory said:
Salt attracts moisture...... Even if I believed this, there is no way I would risk actually doing it.

It is a desiccant, it could save a deck from moisture if it was packed right ;)

gregory

The crowned one said:
It is a desiccant, it could save a deck from moisture if it was packed right ;)
??

I'll stick with silica thanks.....

Silver Crow

Just because you don't *think* it works doesn't mean it doesn't. ::rolls eyes::

To me, saying it's a placebo affect is no different from those that say we are naive to think tarot works in the first place. We each have our own beliefs, I would never say something someone believes in is wrong or a myth just because I don't do it or believe it. It's one thing to have different ideas, it's another to just dismiss an idea as untrue because it's not your own.

Sinduction

That's exactly what a myth is. It is untrue. Has been proven to be false.

If everyone needed to do this, then the ones that don't would, oh I don't know, what happens when a deck turns against you? Does it cover you with paper cuts while you are sleeping?

The rules that you put on tarot are fine for you, but that doesn't make them true for everyone. There are no rules that apply to everyone regarding tarot, although "never get them wet" seems to be a good rule of thumb unless you happen to be reading with the Transparent.

If someone comes here and asks if something is true, and it is not, of course we are going to say so.

I have no rules and I read just fine. I have never kept salt with a deck and to date, over 15 years, I have never been given a paper cut by any deck. :D

thinbuddha

I've been storing my cards with pepper.... is this why they hate me?

Nytebugg

do you think if we fed them after midnight and got them wet; we might get gremlins?

I don't do anything special before a reading or involving storage. The only thing I do remotely special on occasion is reorganize the deck but that's more to make sure I haven't had a card go wandering off.
I wouldn't store in salt. Salt can change dyes and colorants and I'd worry that salt plus some moisture might cause damage to them.

Nytebugg

thinbuddha said:
I've been storing my cards with pepper.... is this why they hate me?
yes, you need to go with a spice blend...maybe Italian or lemon pepper.

Silver Crow

Well - it's true for me. I'm unsure how anyone could prove this is untrue. LOL If you shuffle your deck x number of times to get it going, or put it back in order after reading or whatever, I wouldn't sit here telling you it doesn't work or is wrong, or meaningless or a myth that's all, that's just too much negativity for me.

Also, we aren't talking rules of tarot in this thread are we? We are talking about the beliefs or a reader that happen to coincide with that of other tarot readers.

Again - others say tarot reading is crap, a myth, a lie whatever. Just because you don't believe in it, doesn't make it untrue.