using a box with salt

Silver Crow

The people I know who put salt in their storage boxes usually put the salt in something, they don't let the cards sit in it and the salt doesn't actually touch the cards.

strings of life

I put salt in boiling water when I cook spaghetti and not anywhere near where I store my decks.

Sorry. But, really?

Sinduction

thinbuddha said:
I've been storing my cards with pepper.... is this why they hate me?
Have you woken up with paper cuts? :D

Nytebugg

I think what puts me off is that sometimes this type of advise is given not as hey this is what I do and it makes me feel comfortable but as a do this or bad things will happen. There is a difference between someone saying "I use scented candles when I read because it calms me and centers me" and them saying "I use scented candles because it keeps away the evil things that might get me and if you care about your soul you would do it too".

Silver Crow

Just some interesting information on salt.

Salt has long held an important place in religion and culture. Greek worshippers consecrated salt in their rituals. Jewish Temple offerings included salt; on the Sabbath, Jews still dip their bread in salt as a remembrance of those sacrifices. In the Old Testament, Lot's wife was turned into a pillar of salt. Author Sallie Tisdale notes that salt is as free as the water suspending it when it's dissolved, and as immutable as stone when it's dry - a fitting duality for Lot's wife, who overlooks Sodom to this day.

Covenants in both the Old and New Testaments were often sealed with salt: the origin of the word "salvation." In the Catholic Church, salt is or has been used in a variety of purifying rituals. In fact, until Vatican II, a small taste of salt was placed on a baby's lip at his or her baptism. Jesus called his disciples "the Salt of the Earth." In Leonardo DaVinci's famous painting, "The Last Supper," Judas Escariot has just spilled a bowl of salt - a portent of evil and bad luck. To this day, the tradition endures that someone who spills salt should throw a pinch over his left shoulder to ward off any devils that may be lurking behind.

In Buddhist tradition, salt repels evil spirits. That's why it's customary to throw salt over your shoulder before entering your house after a funeral: it scares off any evil spirits that may be clinging to your back.

Shinto religion also uses salt to purify an area. Before sumo wrestlers enter the ring for a match - which is actually an elaborate Shinto rite - a handful of salt is thrown into the center to drive off malevolent spirits.

In the Southwest, the Pueblo worship the Salt Mother. Other native tribes had significant restrictions on who was permitted to eat salt. Hopi legend holds that the angry Warrior Twins punished mankind by placing valuable salt deposits far from civilization, requiring hard work and bravery to harvest the precious mineral.

In 1933, the Dalai Lama was buried sitting up in a bed of salt.

Today, a gift of salt endures in India as a potent symbol of good luck and a reference to Mahatma Gandhi's liberation of India, which included a symbolic walk to the sea to gather tax-free salt for the nation's poor.

The crowned one

Silver Crow said:
Just because you don't *think* it works doesn't mean it doesn't. ::rolls eyes::

To me, saying it's a placebo affect is no different from those that say we are naive to think tarot works in the first place. We each have our own beliefs, I would never say something someone believes in is wrong or a myth just because I don't do it or believe it. It's one thing to have different ideas, it's another to just dismiss an idea as untrue because it's not your own.

What I think you are saying is : if I store my cards with salt I will become a more brilliant reader?

Generally speaking Salt does not make you a better reader. I have not tested this but I could, easily. I do not doubt it works for her, after all she believes. It is a placebo effect from my point of view.

I may be able to prove that your cards will not turn on you without a supply of salt too.

Silver Crow

First, I never said the cards would turn, someone else did. I said, the salt recharges them and cleanses them from any negativity from the previous reading, this is true when reading for others more than for yourself. I do believe that cards can and do hold energies from those who touch them. It won't make you a better reader that I know of.

So please feel free to prove to me any of the above is untrue. I like being proved wrong.

gregory

I think this is one of those myths in terms of MUST I - and is also one of those things that some people like to do and makes them feel good - and that's fair enough.

All this stuff is whatever works for YOU, no ? It sure wouldn't for me. But if it floats your boat - run with it. I shall stick to my nothing special except when I light incense in the room with the decks. Which is just because I like the smell !

Sinduction

Silver Crow said:
First, I never said the cards would turn, someone else did. I said, the salt recharges them and cleanses them from any negativity from the previous reading, this is true when reading for others more than for yourself. It won't make you a better reader that I know of.

So please feel free to prove to me any of the above is untrue. I like being proved wrong.
Of course this is untrue. I do not store my cards in salt. My cards are not full of negative energy. There. It's not true. It is not imperative that one store their cards in salt or in black silk or in a certain type of wood box, etc. I do none of that and nothing bad has ever happened.

This doesn't mean that you can't do it. If you believe the salt does whatever you want it to do, then keep doing it. But it isn't fair to tell people that this is true and simply must be done or else.. It can simply be a ritual for you, and that's ok.

I use salt a lot in my magical practices, and with dinner, but never with the tarot.

celticnoodle

never heard that one MUST keep their cards in a wooden box, or any type of special box and salt in there as well. I've been reading cards for years, and people feel they get accurate readings from me--and guess what? no salt in or on the containers that keep my cards when not in use.

my mother and grandmother, aunts and cousins were/are all tarot and oracle card readers too, and I don't recall any of them ever doing this either. they never said anything to me about it! my mother just kept her cards thrown into a desk drawer. as kids we were ALWAYS pulling them out and playing with them too. and all these people in my family were also well known for giving accurate readings.

like SunChariot says, they are cardboard with pictures. it's just a 'tool' to use, something to give us a place to focus our thoughts. just like any other tool we could use to read with. BUT, if it makes you feel better--then by all means, go ahead and use salt and a box, wooden or what ever to store your cards in.

btw, some of my cards are not stored in any particular manner at all, save being wrapped in a rubber band and sitting on the edge of my side table. I'm sure A LOT of tarot card readers would moan at the site of that! but they still give me GREAT readings. :D