Weird idea -- Custom Tarot Decks?

Alamaris

This morning my mother and I were brainstorming ways I could make a little extra money. As a student with health issues that prevent me from working full time, sometimes funds are a little tight, and I often supplement my income with handmade items. This year, the art gallery where I usually sell my stuff has changed their policies and fees, and is kind of a not-nice place to be anymore.

We put down all the usual ideas for things I could make and sell on Etsy or what-have-you -- paintings, jewelry, embroidery, etc...and then out of nowhere she says, "What about something to do with tarot?"

"What sort of thing?" I asked.

"Well, obviously you could make a deck and sell copies. But remember those children's books we bought you, where you could customize the names and such? What if you made customized decks for people?"

I gasped, she grinned, we flailed.

Now, I don't know if this is even a feasible idea. The basic concept is this: a buyer tells me what kind of deck they want. The reading system, the colouring style, the theme, any special card titles, and so forth -- and I make it for them. A one of a kind deck, just for them, done straight onto blank cards and sealed with archival spray, like the Lazy Afternoon was. Obviously the price would be equivalent to 5-10 mass produced decks, depending on the level of detail I was asked for, possibly anywhere from $100 to $300. But I see people paying that much for limited edition decks already. Would my custom ones be as beautiful or ornate as those? Probably not; the medium calls for simplicity. But they would be pretty unique.

What do you guys think? Great idea? Awful idea? What would YOU pay for a deck made to your specifications? Taking any and all opinions, good or bad! I'm deeply curious to know if this idea has been tried before, or if there's a snowball's chance in hell that anyone would be interested in the concept.

HudsonGray

Well, it's not really ammendable to a spur of the moment purchase especially in this economy.... why not make your own deck instead and sell that as a limited run deck?

Making one deck for someone would take a long time, there's all the cards, the cover card and back image. Trying to do it in under 6 months isn't feasable, not for the price you mentioned that you wanted to get.

If you want to get extra cash, why not focus on one particular card as a type of jewelry item, or framed art? Or put on a t-shirt (Vistaprint has good prices).

Masa

HudsonGray has a great idea there--individual custom cards are way more feasible and much cheaper, and a lot of people would love to have that kind of art item. I would never buy a $300 deck, but I spent $50 on an original strip from a webcomic once. I could imagine myself eventually dropping that kind of money again on some really beautiful tarot-inspired art, especially if I got to specify what it was.

NorthernTigress

I agree. It would be a lot easier, and less stressful, to create ONE customized image for a client rather than 78 (or 22) custom drawings per person.

I've seen a lot of artists over personalized commissions. Stephanie Pui-Mun Law, creator of the Shadowscapes, offers "give me one word and I'll give you a sketch" art cards for $25 apiece. Jasmine Becket-Griffith will occasionally auction off the opportunity to get a completely customized piece of art.

Masa

*grab*

Here!
http://www.shadowscapes.com/aceo.php

(Didn't want you to get too dizzy)

Phew. Thank you. :laugh:

Alamaris, this is a perfect example of something I am only too thrilled to be shedding money for. Small, beautiful, unique, and not too expensive. Of course, if you are successful at selling individual cards, eventually someone may very well write you and ask you to do a whole deck.

Laura Borealis

I've seen a lot of artists over personalized commissions. Stephanie Pui-Mun Law, creator of the Shadowscapes, offers "give me one word and I'll give you a sketch" art cards for $25 apiece.

Just think, you could have a one-of-a-kind Pui-Mun Law deck for only $1,950.00 :D

Alamaris

Thank you all for your opinions! The answers are pretty much what I figured: a custom deck would be awesome if money was unlimited, which, given the economy, is a no-brainer. :p

For the record, the concept I was thinking was closer to Chronata's Minute Tarot than Stephanie Law's Shadowscapes...quick and simple, not 60+ hour paintings. For artists like me who work very quickly and efficently under a time limit and with a prompt, making a whole deck in a month isn't the issue -- but the cost is. I definitely know a few artists I would commission a deck from if I won the lottery, that's for sure!