Is it wrong to use Tarot to find answers for deeper and mysterious questions?

gregory

Can you tell how to word questions more carefully when dealing with these "deep and mysterious" questions?

Thanks

I'm afraid it would depend entirely - on each occasion - what it is you seek to know. You post an example of what you seek, and I will see what I can do. But it is a lot different from "does he love me ?"

But for instance - your "What is planet Earth?" thread - I don't even know what you hoped to get from such a question. IT can be answered any number of different ways, from "a planet" to "an overcrowded biome" or "the home of the jumping deermouse".

"What is the true purpose of the Vatican?" - well, as several people pointed out in that thread - you had posted so many HUGE ones in a few days - maybe the cards were shouting at you to stop and think, and not talking about the Vatican at all (that does happen.) But anyway - the Vatican's purpose could be to serve as the home of the Pope, the site of the Vatican's library... WHAT is the Vatican anyway ? - it's a state, it's a building, it is a group of Roman Catholic clerics... So - what was your question intended to ask about ? I suspect you might have been getting closer to your real query when you posted there "is there a conspiracy surrounding the Vatican..." but even then - you need to FOCUS more. Think about EXACTLY what information you seek, and try to be twice as exact about putting that into words.

If any of this makes sense.

videojob8

I'm afraid it would depend entirely - on each occasion - what it is you seek to know. You post an example of what you seek, and I will see what I can do. But it is a lot different from "does he love me ?"

But for instance - your "What is planet Earth?" thread - I don't even know what you hoped to get from such a question. IT can be answered any number of different ways, from "a planet" to "an overcrowded biome" or "the home of the jumping deermouse".

"What is the true purpose of the Vatican?" - well, as several people pointed out in that thread - you had posted so many HUGE ones in a few days - maybe the cards were shouting at you to stop and think, and not talking about the Vatican at all (that does happen.) But anyway - the Vatican's purpose could be to serve as the home of the Pope, the site of the Vatican's library... WHAT is the Vatican anyway ? - it's a state, it's a building, it is a group of Roman Catholic clerics... So - what was your question intended to ask about ? I suspect you might have been getting closer to your real query when you posted there "is there a conspiracy surrounding the Vatican..." but even then - you need to FOCUS more. Think about EXACTLY what information you seek, and try to be twice as exact about putting that into words.

If any of this makes sense.

So, do you personally have a problem with me asking those questions?

I should have been more clear about the Vatican thing. The intent was from a conspiracy point of view.

As for Earth, it would be interesting to see from a broad perspective.

gregory

So, do you personally have a problem with me asking those questions?
You can ask whatever you like. It makes no difference to me. It isn't something I would particularly want to do - but to each his own. I don't do "does he love me" either !

I should have been more clear about the Vatican thing. The intent was from a conspiracy point of view.
EXACTLY my point. You have to be more than clear, with these things. It could have meant anything. (And - what kind of conspiracy - you'd need to be even tighter to get any kind of real answer.)

But such a broad question will never give you any kind of answer worth having, IMHO. And nor would it give me, at any rate, any kind of answer that was "interesting" - the answer would be as vague as the question. (I see you never went back to interpret the cards on that one, so you never got any more opinions than your own, anyway...)

Magicus Textor

What is a "broad" perspective?

Like I said, there are many levels of truth. Which level do you want?

videojob8

"What is the true purpose of the Vatican?" - well, as several people pointed out in that thread - you had posted so many HUGE ones in a few days - maybe the cards were shouting at you to stop and think, and not talking about the Vatican at all (that does happen.)

Basically that could mean the Tarot could be "disappointed" or "angry" with a person.

So, overall, am I asking the "wrong" questions (not jut the Vatican and Earth, but all of my other threads) when it comes to Tarot?

videojob8

You can ask whatever you like. It makes no difference to me. It isn't something I would particularly want to do - but to each his own. I don't do "does he love me" either !
Yes, to each their own.
Mind me asking what kind of questions you ask? Perhaps your way is better and more approachable way of using the Tarot.

EXACTLY my point. You have to be more than clear, with these things. It could have meant anything. (And - what kind of conspiracy - you'd need to be even tighter to get any kind of real answer.)
Perhaps a religious conspiracy to keep people ignorant and misled?

But such a broad question will never give you any kind of answer worth having, IMHO. And nor would it give me, at any rate, any kind of answer that was "interesting" - the answer would be as vague as the question. (I see you never went back to interpret the cards on that one, so you never got any more opinions than your own, anyway...)

Perhaps you will like it more if I tone down my questions and ask more specifically. I am way out there and broad.

Zephyros

Basically that could mean the Tarot could be "disappointed" or "angry" with a person.

So, overall, am I asking the "wrong" questions (not jut the Vatican and Earth, but all of my other threads) when it comes to Tarot?

No, no, not wrong exactly, but even in questions pertaining to the mundane, the answer isn't always clear. Questions like "is there a God" or "what is my purpose in life" will give you answers, but you may not get a quick and easy response. The reason for this is that there are no simple answers for those kinds of questions, plus we are probably not enlightened enough to understand the answers we do get anyway.

Like any Tarot question, the answers to those questions are multi-faceted, giving us possibilities, probably even more questions, and many open ends. Tarot isn't Google, and seldom can it be used as such.

gregory

No - not angry, just - all of us will have had those days when we push too far and the answers we get are just saying cool it, back off for a while. It has no FEELINGS about you; it can't be angry or disappointed; It just kind of stops working after a point..

I think - I would say that the questions are worded wrong, on the whole, and as I can't entirely tell what you hoped to find out, I can't therefore say whether what you want to know is wrong - I doubt it. Most questions are reasonable to ask, but they do need to be things that can be answered.

Think of that old chestnut:

"Have you stopped beating your wife ?"

It may be a reasonable question - but as asked, it cannot be answered by anyone who has never beaten their wife. If you never did - you cannot say yes as it suggests that you used to; if you never did you cannot say no, as that suggests you still are doing. The ONLY person who can genuinely answer one that is a wife-beater.

ETA I see we crossposted.

I am more likely to ask "What do I need to know about x"; "what can I do to improve this situation"; "what can I best do to help my sister"; "what skills can I bring to this situation"; "what is it about me that is blocking my search for a job" - that kind of thing.

EyeAmEye

IMO, there is absolutely no questions that can't be asked and answered with Tarot. I'd say the only thing you might want to be cognizant of is your intention behind asking the question. Even then, positive or negative intent, I believe the question can be valid and you will receive a valid response. It's simply a personal thing you might want to be aware of more than anything else.

As everyone else has pointed out, the wording of the question is the key. You have to think quite literally when framing a question. If there is a multitude of ways in which a question could be interpreted and answered, you have no idea exactly how the cards have answered your question. At that point, you are interpreting cards based upon your assumption of what the question should have answered and not necessarily at all how the question was answered.

To use your Vatican question, as gregory pointed out, the question can be answered any number of ways. A better way to have asked the question you wanted answered would have been "What is the Vatican's true agenda"? Asking in that fashion eliminates the multitude of ways you can receive an answer for the broad question asking about its purpose.

I have never bought into the concept that the tarot will tell you to back off a question, so I personally do not believe you should ever interpret in that fashion (I could be wrong). I do believe, given the caveat about framing your question properly, you may get answers in all manner of ways due to the flexibility of the question and often in ways that seem directly contradictory.

Reading gregory's last post I see another great point about asking a question that already makes an assumption like "Have you stopped beating your wife"? Excellent point made there and a mistake I believe a lot of people make inadvertently.

gregory

To use your Vatican question, as gregory pointed out, the question can be answered any number of ways. A better way to have asked the question you wanted answered would have been "What is the Vatican's true agenda"? Asking in that fashion eliminates the multitude of ways you can receive an answer for the broad question asking about its purpose.
Define Vatican :) SOME people simply (and carelessly) refer to the POPE that way; others to the Vatican council; others - whatever.

I do think if you overdo tarot by asking the same things over and over, it can stop working for you for a while. Like a torch whose batteries need recharging !