Gêian Tarot

Alepou

Howdy all. This is my very first post on these forums. I just signed up this morning.

With the formation of a new form/branch of Wicca in the makes, I'm also designing a tarot deck blending the traditional R/W symbolism, the meanings I best as I understand them and have distilled from years of reading and practice as well as from Gêia (http://www.geianpath.org).

I fought long and hard with myself over the look, the media and the common themes of the deck as well as the gumption to make a deck at all (as well as striking out to form my/our own new branch of Wicca [a multi-year internal struggle]). I finally settled on the media that would be the easiest for me to render in: digital. I did this because if it cuts back on the excuses I could make in not working on the project.

I have (0) Celebrant (the Fool) completed, and I mostly (if not completely) have (1) Devotee (the Magician) done also. I don't have borders designed yet, but those are something to be taken into consideration after a few of the cards have been worked out, I think.

Tarot Gallery: http://www.geianpath.org/tarot.html (you may click on the cards to make them larger in another window)

I am open to all feed back and questions, and I look forward to an open and active dialogue.

`Alepou

dancing_moon

This is a very interesting concept you have. :) I love the Celebrant image, it's really vibrant and meaningful.

On the other hand, the Devotee is, to my mind, a little too 'oversymbolized'. I'd expect to see the earth under him rather than this flag-like plain. What do you think?

Looking forward to more cards! :)

Alepou

This is a very interesting concept you have. :) I love the Celebrant image, it's really vibrant and meaningful.

Thank you. I started here with this one. I sat down and said, "I'll just hash out the basic frame and work on it a little each day until it's done." and six hours later it's OMG in the morning and I've reached a place I felt I could stop with the image.

On the other hand, the Devotee is, to my mind, a little too 'oversymbolized'. I'd expect to see the earth under him rather than this flag-like plain. What do you think?

I agree with you. I feel the image is lacking, but I was intentionally going for something more surreal with this one. I wanted it to seem that we're viewing the mindscape of the devotee in mediation, which is why it seems so stark. Among my friends that are familiar with Gêia it's great symbolism, but I wanted opinions of those not familiar with the Tradition to see if it's attractive and readable in a greater context.
I don't know if I should leave it this way and just put this information in the "write up" or if I should make changes, and if I make changes, what would they be.

Thank you for your response. I look forward to making more images and see this through to the end with community support.

`Alepou

dancing_moon

I agree with you. I feel the image is lacking, but I was intentionally going for something more surreal with this one. I wanted it to seem that we're viewing the mindscape of the devotee in mediation, which is why it seems so stark. Among my friends that are familiar with Gêia it's great symbolism, but I wanted opinions of those not familiar with the Tradition to see if it's attractive and readable in a greater context.

I see your point here. :) I guess, if your friends in the Tradition understand the symbolism of this card, then you needn't change it drastically. It would then be a Tarot deck for those familiar with the Tradition, and it would, of course, require a detailed companion book if you intend it to be used by 'outsiders'.

MagsStardustBlack

Good luck, your images are bright and energy packed. I look forward to seeing more images from you ;.) I wish you much enjoyment creating your deck ;.)