Deck Collaboration

Lady Eclipse

Hi everyone!

My friend Kat approached me yesterday about collaborating on making a tarot deck. She's an excellent reader with a solid grasp of tarot so I know that won't be an issue that would hamper our efforts. She's never made a deck before but her idea for this deck is fantastic, fun, and as far as I've researched, never been done.

I've been wanting to collaborate on a deck project with another for a few months, now I have the chance. I've already decided to go ahead with it but I do have some questions. I'm wondering what to expect when collaborating on a tarot deck with others, whether individuals or a group? What advice can you give someone who's just getting their feet wet in this area? All input is very much appreciated.

Joy to you,
Maralee

HudsonGray

Do the research together, and keep updated on where each of you is. Timetables generally get thrown out the window with something like this, but keeping a list that you can cross off is good. Each card, when done, gets you one step closer.

One of you can do the LWB separately if you like, it's a much faster project than the actual deck.

But I'd recommend BOTH of you go to the printers together, when you need to start asking what they need from you to get the project printed. It's much easier than trying to relay technical info after the fact.

Decide if you want boxes for the decks (plain, printed, or a sticker put on them). Decide deck card size. Decide who does the scanning into the computer & works the detail cleanup on the images. Decide layout of the cover card, back image, etc. Keep it a joint project all the way with input from both, and know that you'll likely have some compromises.

Then, how do you want to market it--which venue, how much will it cost (or can it be done for free), who has the web site to advertise it on, who gets to do the coallating & assembly, etc. One person or both.

That's what I can think of, right off the bat.

Lady Eclipse

Hi HudsonGray,

Thank you very much for taking the time to respond. Your suggestions are excellent and I will keep them in mind as Kat and I begin our deck. I printed them out so she can see them too. I believe all of your helpful tips will make things go much smoother. Thank you! :)

Joy to you,
Maralee

SherryZoned

Definately do emails back and forth daily. I have never done one of these things. Faxes etc. Whatever works for you. Maybe have a set meeting time once a week to go over what you are doing and what your plans are for the next card.

Lady Eclipse

RedWood said:
Definately do emails back and forth daily. I have never done one of these things. Faxes etc. Whatever works for you. Maybe have a set meeting time once a week to go over what you are doing and what your plans are for the next card.

Hi RedWood,

Thank you for the suggestions! Kat and I are getting together tonight to start our first brainstorming session. I think it will be a lot of fun as well as productive. :)

Joy to you,
Maralee