What does everyone do before / after a reading?

Tanga

I light up my candles and shuffle the deck...

at the end, I shuffle the deck again, put it back on the table, thank my spirit guides for help and protection, and put a gem stone on top of the deck. :) It takes me about 30 seconds and I am done. Then, I usually eat something because eating grounds me. :D

Jonika - I'm nicking your idea of using a crystal...
I have the perfect smoky quartz skull for the job! - thank you.

Achlys

I personally have zero rituals beyond putting the deck back together at the end, and maybe shuffling it a few times.
Sometimes at the beginning I might light a candle. I like to have tea while I'm reading, so I'll often make that first.

That's it :)
I'm not one for ritual, really. I appreciate its role for others, but I find it too draining on my energy.

Agreed. If I really feel a deck needs a cleansing after a negative reading or something, I'll just meditate while putting them back in order.

DesertDream

I cover myself in a rare blue paint, donate one drop of blood to my deck, face west and do sacred yoni excersises. Accurate psychic readings 100% of the time!

Jk

Usually I lay cards out on bed, sometimes on a cloth. Say a prayer before & after and that is it. If I had it differently I would add some more simple rituals and prefer my kitchen table near an open sunny window, my cloth, candles, incense, crystals, music, but nothing complicated. The most important thing is staying grounded, setting intention, and always prayer. Prayer for protection, guidence and cleansing the deck. Creating a tiny sacred place always puts me in the right mind. Even if I only have a cloth a clear table or bed and my deck.

Busby

Thanks everyone!

It looks like most of you guys do some kind of a shuffle or two or end with a small prayer. I was reading your prayer Tanga, i'm going to start doing that!

Have any of you had any spiritual activities that you know of from not saying a prayer? I'm just curious.

Apollonia

I'm pretty new to tarot reading and i was wondering what everyone does before and after a reading. Do you bless the cards? Is there a prayer involved? Do you just get up and walk away? I'm curious! Let me know!
I used to do a lot more, like a prayer for protection, asking my guides to be with me, grounding/clearing etc., but at this point I've done enough work on raising my vibration that now I just ask to be connected up to Spirit, and to be connected to my querent. That's it.

But that is because I always have protection around me, and I don't tend to get other people's "stuff" on me anymore. For those who are new to this, I would always advise having some sort of protection around you beforehand, and clearing your energy afterwards, whenever you are doing spiritual work; that's just good psychic hygiene.

DesertDream

No, least not that I am aware of anyway. When I first started out 12 years ago I never did any ritual maybe except put them in order and do a knock on them. I like some woo in my practice nowadays though! But for me prayer is a nesscessity now, as is intention.

Calayvie

Hi Busby - here's a thread on what people do before reading:

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=242721

How detailed my ritual is depends on my mood.

To Start -

Some days I may just sit down, take a deep breath and deal... then tidy up and get on with life.

On others - I'll set the scene with cloth and crystals, including my turquoise statuette of
Hotei (the laughing Buddha - patron of diviners) and a clear quartz for "clearer, stronger, channels".
Then sit down and clear my head with some deep breathing, and recite my little Tarot Chant:

"Sun, Moon, Stars, Infinity
I am that of which I Seek
Lord, Lady, Sacred Androgyne
I am all that which I meet
Powered by the Seven Spheres
I grow in strength unseared
Spirits speak!
Luce Verita e Pace" (see post 4 on the above link for explanation of the meaning).

Then I begin reading.

To Finish -

I'll shuffle the deck thoroughly, tap it on the desk and say "clean up please!"
and tidy everything away with gratitude. Then... I may ring a tuning fork or bell (or clap) - to "clear the room". :) :)
I love your prayer, I may use this!
Thankyou for sharing Tanga [emoji1]

I just read some of the link you posted, you created that prayer yourself?! Amazing! So may I have your permission to use your prayer? You probably posted expecting people may use it but I just want to ask first [emoji4]

Sent from my R5 using Tapatalk

SunChariot

I'm pretty new to tarot reading and i was wondering what everyone does before and after a reading. Do you bless the cards? Is there a prayer involved? Do you just get up and walk away? I'm curious! Let me know!

I used to do more when I was new to Tarot. Meditate first. And light a candle, meditate on the candle. :grin:

I still do like to light a candle first at times. Somehow it just helps me get in the mood. Scented candles work best for me. But most times I don't do it anymore.

What I do after is just make sure all cards are facing the same way in the deck (ie upright any reversed cards left in the deck) shuffle a couple of times and put the deck away.

I don't do a prayer each time. But I did at the start. I prayed a number of times that my answers always come from a place of love and light, that people who needed my help would feel drawn to seek me out, that I would find the answers and wording that would best help my querents, and that somehow through my cards I could do some real good in the world and help put people at ease and make their world a little better...

I did pray to that effect when I was starting out a number of times. I don't do it anymore, as I believe all prayers are answered (or why would I make them) and I believe these things will stay in place for me as long as I am a reader. And I can say for sure that my answers have always come from a place of love and light. That is the energy I always feel. :grin:

BTW, personally ( we all have different beliefs) I never felt any need to protect myself. I did ask early on that the answers come from and through my angels. And I have always felt this is where they come from. As that is my personal belief, that that is where the answers for me have always come from and always will, there is no need to protect myself from my angels. They are my protectors, not something I need protecting from.

Babs

nisaba

Before: I unwrap the deck and get the client to shuffle until they thing it's done.

After, I shuffle briefly, and put the deck away.

It works.

lalunarises

Hi Busby! This is such a great question and being new to tarot too it's one I've wondered myself.

For me, it's all about the energy. I don't do many readings on others yet but I'm pretty strict with my friends about bringing negativity around if they want me to do a reading. I like to practice a "breathe in light, exhale light" mentality (I usually shuffle my cards during this time or if I feel like my energy is negative I won't touch them until I feel reset). This doesn't protect from negative cards coming up, but I think when light is the foundation to what you project it better helps navigate the darkness.

Also I like to visualize or have my friends visualize. While breathing in the light I take my mind or direct them to their focus of the reading. I ask the universe to take me where I need to go while I think about my intentions. I always express gratitude for the journey I am on and ask to use my reading for growth and goodness, that when I am a better person I better help others.

Those are the main things I do and it seems to help me a lot. Also I had to learn it's okay to ban friends from readings for mistreating my cards or abusing the practice. Being new I'm super careful with who I read not only to protect myself, but protect them. Not everyone is acceptant of it even if they think they are.

:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk