The Magician

Rosanne

Hi Flashfighter- I viewed your card, and it has an uncluttered presence, which I like. I like his Earth bound finger surrounded by ether. Ok it is somewhat cartoonish, but very professional looking, with clean edges. I always think of red with the Magician. His cape and cravat give him a presence. Good luck with your deck. Regards Rosanne

VisionQuest

very nice

Wow, you are a very talented artist. I see what you mean by "cartoony", but it is very well drawn, and very clean. It is very nice, and it makes me want to see the rest of the deck, not that I would rush an artist ;).

Grigori

I really like your style!! (he says with a sigh, wishing he could draw even a little) It's really bright and clear, and makes the card seem more "immediate" (if I'm making any sense).

I am wondering why the sign for Aries on the magician...

Arnnaria

Very nice! This is one of the most aggressive Magicians I have ever seen. Especially with the inclusion of the symbol of Aries. The style is awesome though! I'd like to see more.

[Well maybe I just view it as aggressive because I'm a Libra and have had bad experience with my opposite sign, Aries.]

FlashFighter

Thanks everyone.
I'm working on some concept sketches for the Fool and The High Priestess, and the finished versions of those cards should be up in the next week or so.... as far as why the Aries symbol.... well.. from what I had been taught, Aries is the ruling sign over The Magician... as far as his agressiveness..... it's not really aggressiveness as much as it is determination.... Thanks again everyone.

Arnnaria

Ah! Determination. I see it now. :)

Grigori

FlashFighter said:
as far as why the Aries symbol.... well.. from what I had been taught, Aries is the ruling sign over The Magician.

Aah. I'm just starting to learn a little about astrology, and have only one book on the topic, so my narrow experience was the magician as Mercury, and the Emperor as Aries. Being an Aries myself, I much prefer to be associated with the Magician!

I forgot to say before I hope you keep the cards borderless when you print them. I think that adds to the visual strength of a card, especially with your artwork style.

Can't wait to see more.

wandking

When I first started with Tarot I thought The Magician was Aries because it seemed to discribe me, an Aries. Later I discovered numerology and found that I identified with the card because my birth date reduced to 1. As others have mentioned, most sources ascribe Mercury as astrological power for the card. This consensus of agreement probably started with Crowley, who wrote it derived power from Mercury. Mercury has a pretty neat symbol too, although not as nice as Aries! LOL

mzoltarp

hurry hurry hurry and do the entire deck. I like the look. Very talented. Good luck and thanks for sharing.