paying

Sophie

Marion said:
A woodworker learns a craft and if they are a great woodworker, then it is deep in their soul. They get paid the regular way. Everything you do well comes from the spirit, not just tarot.
Thank you, Marion - and the reason why most spiritual traditions value all kinds of work, manual work the highest.

Greed & parasitism are rightly rejected: but payment for good work & honest service? Surely not.

GoldenWolf

I have to agree with the majority here and say there is nothing wrong with getting paid for readings. The person is paying for your time and expertise in Tarot reading. An exchange of energy such as X dollars for a Tarot reading is only fair. No one should work for free unless they choose to donate their time or skills. I don't think that the example of a priest works here as the church pays for his housing, food, and other necessities of life. They are his employer, not the parishners (although their contributions do make out the funds from which he is paid).

I also think people tend to value things more if they have to pay for them or somehow exchange energy (i.e., a massage in exchange for a reading). I have found that many people are not terribly grateful for free readings. Why should they be if you don't place a value on it yourself?

I think a lot people doing spiritual work feel guilty about charging for money for it. Possibly because our society doesn't value spirituality as much as tangible material things. Even if someone just wants a reading "for fun", people pay to go to movies, concerts, etc so why not pay for a Tarot reading? Even if you feel comfortable with donations, I'd still suggest posting a sliding scale of some sort. If they have never had a reading before, they may have no clue what the average rate is.

magpie9

WELL SAID, MARION!! HEAR HEAR!!

contrascarpe

The cynic in me always gets suspicious when a new member comes on board and immediately takes a moral high ground without first getting a feeling for the general tone of a community. However, since Tarot fits into a category where people get wary regarding intent, I can certainly understand it.

I have been reading "professionally" for over a year now. Hard to believe sometimes that I get paid for something I have loved doing for so many years, but the fact remains that there is a market for it. And I have been on both sides. Over the years I have gladly shoveled over my money for readings and have come across many styles - some good, some bad, some atrocious. But the fact remained, it was my decision to part with my money.

When I started doing readings for the bookshop, I felt a tinge of guilt taking money. But after my first day, I got over it. I realized two things - first, it takes an extraordinary amount of energy to do a reading. And if someone goes out of his/her way to pay me to do it, then why not accept the money. Secondly, in the atmosphere I work in, 90% of the people coming to me do so expecting me to be a shoulder to cry on - a sort of counselor. Now I have had my share of psychology courses in my time, but I am no certified counselor. But I do feel in tune with the human psyche and because of my life experiences feel like I can identify with the needs of most of my seekers. So my feeling is that if I can help someone, why not?

Comparing Tarot to religious contributions is irrelevant as Marion astutely pointed out. Most religious offerings are done because of duty. Tarot readings fall into two categories - those who seek it out in a recreational situation (such as fairs) or those who are looking for guidance in their lives. If someone feels strongly that you should not be paid for such, then A) do not pay if you are a seeker or B) do not accept money if you are a reader.

Dan

Apollonia

What about people for whom the Tarot is not a spiritual practice? I wouldn't expect people to pay to watch me pray or light candles on my altar, which is how I express my spirituality. When I do a reading, I am providing a service, regardless of my or the sitter's religious beliefs, and in my opinion, the fee keeps it clean. If I did it solely as a spiritual practice I would feel a bit funny about reading for anyone who had a different spiritual belief than mine. I mean, wouldn't it be like using them for my personal spritual gratification?

Asenath

I hope that I didn't give the impression that I thought that paying for a reading is wrong. I don't. I've never had a reading done by someone save on the exchange. I find it interesting that most people in this discussion compare what the reader is giving to what the priest may be giving. Since I've also never read for anyone except on this thread, I can only comment on my experiences. When I posted, I was thinking from the consumer's point of view. What am I getting in return???

Prior to joining this forum a few months back, my exposure to tarot consisted of walking past booths at the psychic fair, at the flea market, and laughing at Miss Cleo's commercials ("Call NOW!") I was totally shocked to see readers charge $60+ for a reading. I mean, they're just cards, right??? [Being facetious.]

For me, spiritual learning is like any other discipline and requires self teaching as well as mentorship. To me, finding a spiritual group or path that suits is important. Personally, I tend to stay away from those who ask for money without seeing what they have to offer, which is actually how I found this forum.

On the flip side, I've bragged to people I know about how people on this forum are super helpful and CUSTOMER SERVICE oriented, especially after reading posts where people have lost or damanged their cards. I think that THAT'S what makes a professional a professional. I know I've bought things from people that I didn't want just because they smiled and asked how I was doing. If a reader had that type of attitude I don't think I would have a problem spending the money.

Emeraldgirl

I have no problem with people charging for readings. As it has been pointed out some people get their main source of income by doing readings. Depending on the situation I charge. If it is someo one who I have to travel to hen I may charge them if the only reason I am going to them is to read and not as a visit to a friend or anything. I also have no problem with exchanges. I have exchanged tarot readings for other readings like rune readings, massages and even as a thank you for a good meal for a friend who was too shy to come right out and ask me to read for her. I don't see anything wrong in that either.

Gcgirl18

I'm a beginner at the tarot and a newbie at this board, but I have thought about this same topic many times before. I've heard many opinions from tarot and non-tarot users before. I've heard before that if someone charges for their services, that that automatically makes them a fraud and a greedy person. I don't think so. As mentioned above, you pay a doctor (and tons if you get sick and are not insured) to get better. You pay a lawyer to help you with legal issues. Churches are paid through offerings. So in my mind, why would it be such an issue for a tarot reader to charge for their work (especially if they are just trying to make a living).

Now at the same time, I've seen things that other people might consider going a bit overboard. For example, a popular psychic who charges 700$ for a 20-30 minute reading. I've been to a church where that pastor insisted that we needed to be challenged to give at least one or our whole paychecks a month to them. And my old pastors who passed collection plates around 2-3 times a service and talked about the importance of giving your money for offering every other service. While alot of these people I knew there were going through alot of personal issues with money, both of these pastors (wife and husband) drove to church in their separate Cadillacs ( in two different colors). His wife had this beautiful mink coat and they flew out every week on a trip ( to places like Jamaica ) which they said they did to spread the word to others. At the same time, I don't think because a psychic charges 700$ doesn't necessarily descredit them. And maybe its none of my business how my old pastors decided to spend the money that was given to them through offerings (especially since I don't belong to that church anymore).

So in the end, I really think there is nothing wrong with someone who charges for their services because they are investing alot of their time and energy. I guess some people look down on the whole charging thing because all the scammers who have ripped people off ( which this type of thing happens in all fields of things, not just tarot and pshycic readings ). Much love to everyone :)

crystaleyes

fear not

contrascarpe said:
The cynic in me always gets suspicious when a new member comes on board and immediately takes a moral high ground without first getting a feeling for the general tone of a community. However, since Tarot fits into a category where people get wary regarding intent, I can certainly understand it.

I think I need to explain how this happened, i accidently posted a response to an old thread regarding this into a new thread and so it seems as if I started the conversation,I didn't I was merely responding, even tho I am kinda glad it has turned out this way because like I have stated earlier it has given me insight and broadened my thinking.

crystaleyes

u r right

GoldenWolf said:
I also think people tend to value things more if they have to pay for them or somehow exchange energy (i.e., a massage in exchange for a reading). I have found that many people are not terribly grateful for free readings. Why should they be if you don't place a value on it yourself?

I think a lot people doing spiritual work feel guilty about charging for money for it. Possibly because our society doesn't value spirituality as much as tangible material things.

people do value things more if they pay for them I definitely understand that. And yes me doing spiritual work does cause guilt in charging for a reading. That was the biggest motivation in stating such a controversial thing,controversy brings out peoples true feeling more than just asking about it and it helps to guide me into a broadened thinking pattern. I know I have a gift and I needed to know how the majority uses theirs.