dealbreaker cards in a deck

Msquared

The Magician, The Chariot, & The Wheel Of Fortune HAVE to appeal to me for me to be able to read with them, but I'll buy a deck if those are lacking and I like the deck overall.

And the card backs - I had a deck once with that horrible cross-hatched pattern in magenta and I gave it away. Put me off.

And I don't like cards that "fluff" the Devil, Death, the Tower, and the 10 Of Swords.

Rabbit

I have a problem with the Hanged Man. If it looks odd or uncomfortable I can't buy the deck, and or if not noticed in the beginning I have to sell or trade it.

faunabay

Like alot of people here I don't have a specific card that would be a deal breaker. But I don't like it if the deck is mostly RWS based then they throw in a couple cards that don't follow the RWS system.

Like the Natalie Hertz Faeries deck 10 of Wands. :bugeyed: Two drunken looking fae talking.......What the heck? I loved alot of the cards but that 10 of Wands just did it for me. I had to get rid of the deck.

Rabbit

emmsma said:
I don't do nudity in my decks either. Never thought of myself as a prude, but yeah... The nekkid folk kill decks for me.

yeah, besides the hanged man I don't like nudies either, especially the nude hanged man in the druidcraft.
so that's a hanged man who is nude! blech. lol

I received it on a monday night from amazon and had the darn thing traded by tuesday morning.

Dogmother

For me it always comes down to the Strength card. Absolutely put off by the decks with the guy clubbing the lion. And I adore the Llewellyn deck except for the Strength card. That's my deal breaker.

lijewi

The Strength card for me, too!
I cannot abide by cards that show someone beaten down the lion or lion-figure, either -- they completely miss the point, in my opinion!
I love this card, it completely determines whether the deck is align with what I want in a deck or not.

nisaba

Rabbit said:
yeah, besides the hanged man I don't like nudies either, especially the nude hanged man in the druidcraft.
<curiously> I haven't seen the image. Was he just a man who happened to be upside-down, or did they do Gravity justice where it comes to what happens to boy-bits when they are upside-down?

Briar Rose

Having just one card out of 78 that I don't like isn't going to turn me off to the whole deck.

I would have to think why I didn't like that card, and if it was appropriate for that card to be portrayed that way.

I look at it this way; What if you kept that deck, and then was doing a reading for someone and they wanted to know what to watch out for, and then 'that' card turned up, looking totally disgusting and appalling? And the person your doing the reading for said "Wow, that looks like so and so....I'm amazed!" Some cards are meant to be totally jarring, maybe ugly and hideous.

I remember I was upset to see the 3oS in Shadowscapes. Then someone told me it's supposed to jar you that way. I accepted it.