Halloween!

Grizabella

Is anyone making Halloween plans yet? I am. My full length velvet cloak my daughter and her SO made for me for Christmas a few years ago is going to come in so handy! It gets very cold at night in Oregon in late October sometimes on clear night, so that will be keeping me toasty. I'm going to set up my space on the picnic table outside and do readings for everyone in the campground here who wants one. I'm trying to find some of those white icicle lights to drape around under my awning so there will be some light out there, but I haven't found any thus far. My daughter is looking at garage sales and she hasn't found any either. The built-in porch light on my RV burned out so it's quite dark outside at night. I'll use oil lamps if I have to. I do have a couple of those.

Does anyone else have any plans or traditions? It's not too soon to be thinking about it you know. :D

Oh, and I forgot to add what decks I plan to use. Be sure to specify what decks you like to use for Halloween, too. I have the Ian Daniels Vampyre deck I love to use and I also have the Hip Witch by Lo Scarabeo. Also the Halloween deck, the Necronomicon which is the Lovecraft based deck from Lo Scarabeo as well. I have to dig around and see what other ones I have if any. I do have the New Orleans Voodoo tarot that's on my list of "to do" decks for the Reading Exchange here when I'm finished with the Motherpeace. I love that deck but have found it will take some mental exercise to figure it out well enough to read with it for live sitters. Oh, in addition to the Halloween deck for kids I can also use the Joie de Vivre deck. That's a fun deck and kind of Halloween-y.

Grizabella

I had no idea! You really celebrate it in the spring?

flipperjane

When is your Halloween?

In the UK it's the 31st October - it's so unusual for us to be having a lovely summer that I don't want to think that far ahead yet.

RunningWild

Harvest season begins this month and continues to (for where I live anyway) mid October, so I can understand why Griz is gearing up. Already, if I look in the right places, I can see the first signs of Autumn, some of the plants are beginning to change color.

I have my Bohemian Gothic Tarot and the Halloween Tarot and I'm sure I could pick out another one or two decks from my collection to use.

Calcifer

I consider October 31st, Halloween, just an arbitrary calendar date set for convenience.... but Samhain, the true cross-quarter of the season, happens on November 7th, at 5:56am (here in my neck of the woods). To this effect, I've put in for vacation time then and will hopefully be in a tent somewhere out in the Pisgah National Forest. Coming along for the adventure will be both editions of SevenStar's Samahin Decks of the Bastard, The Wild Unknown, and possibly DeMarco's Halloween Oracle.
Love this time of year !

Michael

danieljuk

I love you are planning for halloween already Griz! :)
I feel a bit sad today that it's Lughnasadh / Lammas in the Northern Hemisphere, the beginning of the harvest and approaching into Autumn soon! I am not sure why that is a negative connotation for me! when Autumn starts I realise it's my fave time of the year, I forget this every year!

Anyway I love the Halloween Tarot deck! there is so many themed tarot and oracles for it now!

Calcifer

Just an FYI...here in North Carolina, Lammas is on August 7th, when the earth is hallway between the Summer Solstice and the Autumn Equinox....
Just sayin'...

Here's how/where to find Solstices, Equinoxes, and Cross Quarters:

http://www.archaeoastronomy.com/myclock.html

Michael

greatdane

I've already designated decks

And plan on having a few friends over to my Victorian attic loft complete with boards that creak that has a year round sign on my attic door that says forget the ghosts, beware of me.

I plan on using the Mysteries of the Old Castle and Samhain Lenormand for Lenormand readings. I haven't decided if I will offer any tarot readings yet. I may likely just do a reading for myself and maybe a friend.

It doesn't take much to make a Victorian attic Samhain-ready :).

Grizabella

Autumn is my favorite time of year, too. I'm growing to hate summertime, though, now that we're having almost completely 90+ degree weather for extended periods of time. Autumn is the time when the super hot days have ended, the trees are all colorful and falling down where I can crunch along when I walk the dogs, and the days are hot but the nights are frosty.

What kinds of decorations do you put up? Anything special?