Anyone ever done a reading while high?

Zedrex

Sounds like peoople are assuming I was referring to Crowley. I wasn't.

Gypsies would recommmend moderate amounts of alcohol, smoke or absynthe. Mushrooms and opium have also been used. I have old books stating that it helps with reading or astral travel, but definitely not too much as a degree of focus and clarity is still required. They're genuinely talking the equivalent of a couple of scotches in most cases... though I should have known the morality of drugs in general and the dangers of their excesses would quickly become the stasis of this thread

OaksWhispering

Last week I did a reading while [mildly] drunk, and I got cards that were all about illusion and escapism. LOL I am never drunk reading again.

danielnogo

Lol around 75% of my readings I am at least mildly high on marijuana, it really helpes me see the deeper meaning and think outside the box.

beginagain

I'm permanently on four different psychotropic drugs, in a very complex and counter intuitive combination, for Reasons. By definition, every reading I do is while I'm drugged up to the eyeballs.

Just throwin' this out there...

Sar

High? Like in doing drugs?? Never, but I like a glass of beer or vine while reading tarot.

VioletEye

hey, if the reading felt deep and accurate, then go for it! as beginagain alludes to above, a lot of people are on a variety of (prescription) drugs that alter the mind - for depression, anxiety, ADD, hormonal imbalances, etc., and we don't judge their mental capacities.
not to mention things like coffee and cigarettes, substances that a lot of people just take for granted.

also:

Plus, the connections between drugs and spirituality is quite a bit older. So old that I think that the situation changed and there was a sudden abhorrence for drugs only in the last century. A really new development. Sweat lodges, hashish, magic mushrooms etc. have always been used to break down separations between the outer and inner selves.

and i would add peyote, kava, datura, and even plain old fasting.

~ what i would do it write down or record your reading (to safeguard against spacing out on your revelations ;) ), and revisit the reading later, to make sure that it still seems relevant.

but yeah, i think it's entirely possible to have a fantastic reading in many different states of mind!

Zephyros

I'm permanently on four different psychotropic drugs, in a very complex and counter intuitive combination, for Reasons. By definition, every reading I do is while I'm drugged up to the eyeballs.

Just throwin' this out there...

That's interesting, since although some drugs are thought of as such, many many substances have their own psychotropic effect. Coffee, for example, or chocolate, each cause the body to release chemicals that affect its thinking processes. Everything we ingest has an effect, even if very subtle. So, basically, a big part of our baseline for what we consider "us" as opposed to being on something, doesn't actually exist.

irish merlin

i,ve been trying to find out about a certain problem in my life and decided to make my own spread i added it to the new spreads section anyway i rolled a joint last night and i got the most in depth reading about the situation for the 1st time in a year i saw the problem clearly i have no doubt it was the joint that opened my mind i,ve only tried this a few times but have found my readings to be way deeper and clearer there is no doubt in my mind it opens your brain to deeper thoughts.

3ill.yazi

I tried reading a few weeks back after having a beer. The reading was useless gibberish.

Chimera Dust

I haven't but I don't think that one method is better than the other. I think it depends on the individual and what they find easier.

On one hand, it's easy for people to worry or be biased when reading about themselves. Substances like certain drugs and alcohol alter people's mindset, so I can imagine that it could make people less prone to doubting themselves while reading, making them have a better reading (or think they did, I'm not saying that you were wrong about it being a good reading since only you can know how accurate something about your life was, I'm talking more generally here).

On the other hand, I think there can also be risks to this because it depends on the substance and the individual. When people are under the influence of drugs or alcohol, sometimes it's not for the best. People can have bad trips while on drugs or be that drunk person who thinks it's a good idea to drive, for example. Therefore, I also wouldn't recommend being high during reading for people who aren't in a good mindset or if they don't know how this affects their reading skills. Imagine someone who is going through a rough patch reading about their life and seeing something that seems bad and drives them over the edge, or accidentally swapping the meaning of cards and giving their friend a negatively inaccurate reading.

This is why I think people, like in all else about the Tarot, should use their best judgement. When it comes to the Tarot, in my opinion, the only "right way" is to not hurt anyone (by scamming or deceiving them, for instance) and to do what you're comfortable with if it honestly helps you.