Noting down the first few cards that show up when exploring a new tarot deck

kimtsan

I kind of regret not noting down the initial cards that show up in a new deck. I remember when I started working with the Mystical Cats Tarot, I was getting a lot of cards from the Earth and Fire suit.

Do you think the first cards that how up in a deck hold significance? This idea just occurred to me as I tried to remember what are the first cards that I got from the Mystical Cats Deck. I remember they continued to recur even though I continued to engage myself with more readings--like the same cards would show up from time to time and they are all the initial cards that show up.

Sorry if this post sounds a bit disorganized. I am very sleepy right now haha.

twilight_dusk

For me, no, you evolve, feelings change, situations change, a deck you love will be a deck you won't love as much down the lane, and a deck you dislike/hate will be something you have GREAT readings with, but you raise an interesting point, i can't wait to read the posts others have to say about this. :)
I still remember the first deck I got and the cards I got, but ive collected a lot of decks now, and i cant remember any of the cards ive first gotten with them now!! lol. :))

Cenozoic

If you think it holds some significance, then you should write it down. For my decks I don't personally think that writing down the first few cards of a new deck are that important, but if you keep seeing reoccurring cards then maybe it'll be worthwhile to write them down.

kimtsan

I kind of feel like the first few cards that appear when you start using a deck sort of "sets the tone"...if you know what I mean. When I work with Dreaming Way Tarot, I kept getting the Queen of Wands, High Priestess, and Three of Swords. When I use Universal Fantasy Tarot, it's usually Two of Cups, Queen of Cups, and Four of Pentacles. Each deck sort of has their "regulars"...

InkyAlchemy

It may be significant for you, as in it might be something for you you to personally ponder. For me, if I get the same cards showing up often, it makes me stop and think if there is information or a message I am overlooking. In that case, it is very significant.

I don't think it is significant in terms of the "feel" or personality of the deck. If you are curious about that, I would suggest a "getting to know you" spread to gauge how this deck may work with you.

I guess I'm not sure where you were assigning the significance - to the deck or to yourself.

BTW... I have and love the Mystical Cats deck :)

kimtsan

It may be significant for you, as in it might be something for you you to personally ponder. For me, if I get the same cards showing up often, it makes me stop and think if there is information or a message I am overlooking. In that case, it is very significant.

I don't think it is significant in terms of the "feel" or personality of the deck. If you are curious about that, I would suggest a "getting to know you" spread to gauge how this deck may work with you.

I guess I'm not sure where you were assigning the significance - to the deck or to yourself.

BTW... I have and love the Mystical Cats deck :)

I'm not sure where I am assigning significance either...it just something that occurred to me that I wanted to explore. It was just interesting when I noticed that the first few cards I got from Mystical Cat Tarot all pertain to two elements, and not the other two.

Oh yeah, I remember I was doing some inner housekeeping a while ago, and I kept getting the Tower. I didn't fully understand what it meant in the beginning, and then it gradually dawned on me later on.

Chimera Dust

If you think it might be meaningful, then I don't see why not do it. I personally don't, but I do a "New Deck" reading just to have an excuse to read it and see how much I click with it. I guess that shuffling a new deck, drawing some cards, and noting which ones come up sounds like a way as good as any to get to know your deck for the first time, so you should go for it if you think it might help. :)