Tarot and Psychology

Khatruman

Kitty said:
thanks macavity - I came out as INFJ
Son of a Gun, a fellow INFJ!!! Hello, Kitty :D. Cool beans. This may make an interesting poll. Have people do that test and see what span of results we get.

Jewel

I am an INFP ... a healer idealist ... pretty cool.

Sienna

I did the poll, based on a previous test which I did when I was working in the commercial world and I was then a ENFJ, I took that the test just now though and came out an INFP! (very pleased) - so personality in adulthood can change I guess, I did go through and survive a life threatening illness last year, so maybe that's the reason for the change ?

mythos

Having a background in psych, and having read Art Rosengarten's book, I can highly recommend it. I think that it helps to have done some psych prior to reading it ... I think that you will get more out of it.

I used cards (mostly animal-related one's) when working with kids. Not readings, more having them chose cards and tell stories with them a la play therapy. And very therapeutic it was.

I actually try and avoid the TS Bookshop :bugeyed: ... jmd got it right when he spoke of the spending stress. :( I've spent hours in there with heaps of books and limited resources, adding up with my addled brain, trying to stretch cash, and make decisions about what just must go back on the shelves :bugeyed: It's a nightmare })

But yep, it is a very special shop, and you will no doubt get heaps from the book. Art Rosengarten has a site ... sorry, I don't know the thread .... on which he has some pretty good articles.

Enjoy - mythos :)

mythos

Sienna said:
I did the poll, based on a previous test which I did when I was working in the commercial world and I was then a ENFJ, I took that the test just now though and came out an INFP! (very pleased) - so personality in adulthood can change I guess, I did go through and survive a life threatening illness last year, so maybe that's the reason for the change ?

I used to be an INTJ, and now, some years later, when I redid the test after a near death experience, and long, long illness, I am an INFP. So, on the basis of n=2, such life threatening events do appear to change personality.

mythos:)

Northwind

The MBTI illustrates preferences at a particular time, not personality, in my understanding.

One of the unfortunate things about tests like this is that people take them at face value whereas they may only indicate one has adapted to suit the environment. We all do that, of course. At a particular place in time we may have a preference for being intuitive and taking an overall view. It does not necessarily that we are, or that people with the opposite "type" indicator are unable to use their "inferior" functions.

I know an ENTJ who is a wonderful tarot reader. She uses tarot in consulting and teaching and has exactly the right personality and style to make it credible.

catlin

puzzled

I did that test and got the following result:
July 27, 2006 Free report for: Solitaire

Guardians are the cornerstone of society, for they are the temperament given to serving and preserving our most important social institutions. Guardians have natural talent in managing goods and services--from supervision to maintenance and supply--and they use all their skills to keep things running smoothly in their families, communities, schools, churches, hospitals, and businesses.

Guardians can have a lot of fun with their friends, but they are quite serious about their duties and responsibilities. Guardians take pride in being dependable and trustworthy; if there's a job to be done, they can be counted on to put their shoulder to the wheel. Guardians also believe in law and order, and sometimes worry that respect for authority, even a fundamental sense of right and wrong, is being lost. Perhaps this is why Guardians honor customs and traditions so strongly--they are familiar patterns that help bring stability to our modern, fast-paced world.

Practical and down-to-earth, Guardians believe in following the rules and cooperating with others. They are not very comfortable winging it or blazing new trails; working steadily within the system is the Guardian way, for in the long run loyalty, discipline, and teamwork get the job done right. Guardians are meticulous about schedules and have a sharp eye for proper procedures. They are cautious about change, even though they know that change can be healthy for an institution. Better to go slowly, they say, and look before you leap.

Guardians make up as much as 40 to 45 percent of the population.

The Four types of Guardians are:

Supervisors (ESTJ) | Protectors (ISFJ) | Inspectors (ISTJ) | Providers (ESFJ)

Now I am puzzled: what is the difference between ESTJ, ISFJ, ISTJ, ESFJ??? Where do I find out what I am????

wayseer

Hi - I'm new here but had to respond to this topic.

As an INFP, and I just did the test again, I can accept myself a whole lot better. I remember when I first did the test, Hmmm 'bout 20 years ago, I had a great sense of relief as I always wondered why I never fitted into the world - why I seemed to be on the periphery - knowing it was the way i responded to the world was a great sense of relief.

I think the test is helpful in understanding one's PREFERRED mode of operation as it is helpful to understand the need to balance those energies with the less preferred modes.

I would like to follow up on this sometime later - when I have more experience with the cards.

SweetIsTheTruth

Kitty said:
Anyone else read this book or similar

I must confess I haven't read this particular book. However, my very favorite book regarding Tarot & psychology is ''Personality, Divination and the Tarot,' by Carl Sargent. The first 60 pages of the book covers psychology and the different theories regarding it, touching on Freud, Jung, etc.

The latter 160 pages covers each card individually with a very pronounced psychological bent to the interpretations. The book uses the Marseilles deck, but of course, the ideas behind the interpretations are universal. Any time I hear psychology & Tarot in the same sentence, this book is the first and foremost, in my mind.