Tarot of the Absurd .... FINISHED

Barefoot Fool

Okay, so I sent out a request for quotes to three printers in China (!!!) for a run of 500 decks. The printing places in the US seem to go through printers in China, so I'm seeing if it's possible to eliminate the middleperson. The middleperson might be essential for communications. I have no business experience, so this should be interesting. My favorite part is how the contact person— generally a man— has up a profile picture which is invariably a head shot of a beautiful Chinese woman. :)

I'm not the biggest fan of tuck boxes— they get torn and stuff when they're tight with cards— so I'm checking out two-part boxes. Also I really like the il Meneghello packaging method and am slightly tempted to make all the boxes by hand if I can get a really really good deal on printing. But that's a dream farther off.

I do want to do a book (I am a writer first) but that will be separate.
Um, oh, and I know I didn't really ask a question. I just like hearing people's opinions.

Barefoot Fool

I have begun looking through the printers in China. I was surprised to see the Sakki-Sakki tarot on the storefront of one of them, as Monicka printed in Israel, as it says on her deck and book. For a minute I was convinced she actually printed in China and thus I wrote her to ask her about her experience (these Chinese are convincing). She pointed out my oversight. I sent her a screen shot of the offending printing company. They had a 3,000 minimum, anyhow.

It is difficult to find someone who will print as few as 500 copies. They don't give a template so that I can be certain about bleed and drift and such: I want no borders on my cards. There is always the language barrier, which seems to require excessive politeness and apologies for my misunderstanding even though it seems to be misadvertising on their part.

Also they say they print boxes, but they will not give a template for the die for the box. This is frustrating. I am tempted, if I order from them, to get the cards only and then hand-make 500 little folio-type boxes stamped and tied with ribbon. Then I could have the cards all shrink-wrapped within the folio & sign & number & stamp the box. It would be more expensive & more beautiful.

Cassandra022

It's quite interesting to read about your search [on which i wish you much luck in finding a good printing solution!].

Though I must say, and I know i'm in the minority probably, but i would be happy buying your deck even if it just came packaged in a ziplock bag, LOL

spinnachie

I just took a quick look, and I have to say...WOW...I think that deck and I would get along rather famously...It was love at first sight!!

Is it available yet? :p

truelighth

Though I must say, and I know i'm in the minority probably, but i would be happy buying your deck even if it just came packaged in a ziplock bag, LOL

Me too. I don't really mind if it does or doesn't come with a box. If it doesn't, I just make my own or find a box that fits. I would just like to get your deck :).

Barefoot Fool

Me too. I don't really mind if it does or doesn't come with a box. If it doesn't, I just make my own or find a box that fits. I would just like to get your deck :).

Me three. Oops! It's my deck. I just like the idea of making boxes :)
Buy you're right; more than that I like the idea of feeling some sort of completion.
Okay, really I'll focus on just getting the cards printed.

Chronata

I am really excited for you! I hope you find a great printer! (mostly because I really want one of your decks!!)

I once made 100 tuck boxes by hand for one of my decks...and I never did it again.
I realized that decks don't really need boxes. Most people don't seem to care if it's in a folder or a bag instead.

Debra

Have you actually talked to any of the established publishers? I wouldn't assume they'll take control of your project and turn it into something icky. They may have some good ideas. And they have practices for quality control, which is a big issue these days for decks printed in China and no wonder given the working conditions there. The established publishers also have marketing and a presence in brick & mortar stores, which is probably close to impossible to accomplish on your own.

Barefoot Fool

That's a good question.

I have contacted two publishers. They're really slow to get back to me, and I don't really know what's appropriate in terms of asking them for status updates. I sent inquiries out on the 29th of February. On the 16th of March, one person told me she'd be pitching it at her next meeting, tho she didn't know when that would be.

The other was a friend of a friend who works in a publishing house not too far from where I live (they have published tarot decks in the past). She's not in the arena of accepting new projects, but she wrote me and told me she handed it off to the person who is. Since then, I haven't heard back.

As far as I can tell, publishers have lots of people contact them and a very "don't call us we'll call you" attitude. I'm unsure whether I'm "allowed" to contact other publishers or what. I find it intimidating. At this rate, tho, it could take years just to find a publisher. That doesn't seem fair.

And I agree, perhaps my fear they would take over my work is irrational, but I do want to retain rights to the images. I also agree that most ANYone has better marketing skills than I do :)

Pixelsmith

which seems to require excessive politeness and apologies for my misunderstanding even though it seems to be misadvertising on their part.

I think this must be the most time consuming and frustrating part. This is clearly a journey of humility, and clearly a tiring one! Keep at it!

Also they say they print boxes, but they will not give a template for the die for the box. This is frustrating. I am tempted, if I order from them, to get the cards only and then hand-make 500 little folio-type boxes stamped and tied with ribbon. Then I could have the cards all shrink-wrapped within the folio & sign & number & stamp the box. It would be more expensive & more beautiful.

I wonder how much of this game is really just to send them something and then wait for their proof. I know that's time consuming given the distance between the US and China, but it seems like that's the game to play if they won't be up front about what kind of template you need to use.

The other thing is that they may not want your business. From their perspective an order of 500 may not really worth their time. You might play around with order numbers 3k, 10k (even if you don't plan to get that many) and see how that changes the way that they treat you.

Still, keep at it! You're doing a great job!