Coloring the BOTA Tarot

Richard

The Empress

Colored pencil doesn't scan well; the surface is a bit too reflective. I can manipulate the image to get the colors right, but it always looks more blotchy than the original.

Attachments

• botaempress.jpg
    botaempress.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 962

akirafist

Yeah, this is why I went digital. It has a weird waxy look when scanned, and getting HIGH end professional scanning done + computer color correction costs hundreds of dollars.

Richard

Yeah, this is why I went digital. It has a weird waxy look when scanned, and getting HIGH end professional scanning done + computer color correction costs hundreds of dollars.
I like digital. It's a good idea to backup original stuff on memory cards or an external HD, however. Having never had a serious crash, I didn't bother to backup, and then of course Murphy's Law struck and I lost a bunch of hard to replace material. Live and learn. Three of Swords.

akirafist

I like digital. It's a good idea to backup original stuff on memory cards or an external HD, however. Having never had a serious crash, I didn't bother to backup, and then of course Murphy's Law struck and I lost a bunch of hard to replace material. Live and learn. Three of Swords.

Yeah I use amazon's free 5gb storage. I can upload all the project files, and even if my house collapses, it's all good.

Richard

The color looks so even, I really like it. I'm reading P.F. Case's book now. I never realized how much info is packed into it.

I wonder if you are seeing these cards differently now that you are creating the colors for them. Which red or green? Things like that.
The cards seem dramatically different to me after working out the colors and stuff! Although it's akin to coloring in a child's coloring book, the cards really acquire some very special quality after having worked on them. I will, for example, prop a finished card up on my desk and just sit there looking at it. It's as if it's alive or something. A similar thing happens when I finish one of my original landscape paintings, but I feel a special internal connection to these cards. According to occult theory, Tarot really just depicts archetypes that already are buried in our unconscious. When one has a hand in their creation, it personalizes them in such a way that they feel as if one actually has given birth to something that has always existed in embryo form in one's psyche. It's a unique and very enjoyable experience.

Richard

Emperor

Unlike the Empress, who is in a beautiful, fertile garden, her consort, the Emperor, is in a forbidding, barren looking place. It overflows with Mars/Aries energy. Not much fun to color.

Attachments

• botaemperor.jpg
    botaemperor.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 803

akirafist

Wow that looks very nice.

Hey what printer are you using?
Cartamundi in Dallas has a minimum of 5,000 decks. M.M. Maleen has only sold like 480 decks of the #1 rated Rosetta Tarot so I'll be lucky to push 500 out the door of mine.

Know any printers that don't require an obscene amount for a minimum print?

gregory

Wow that looks very nice.

Hey what printer are you using?
Cartamundi in Dallas has a minimum of 5,000 decks. M.M. Maleen has only sold like 480 decks of the #1 rated Rosetta Tarot so I'll be lucky to push 500 out the door of mine.

Know any printers that don't require an obscene amount for a minimum print?
PM Marcia959; she uses one.... There's also one in Florida but I can't recall the name just now...

Myrrha

I can really see the concentration that has gone into the work, it makes each detail stand out and acquire importance when the whole thing is so deliberate and meticulous. The in process pictures are interesting, you really notice that the Magician's garment is red like the roses when that is all that's been colored. It must be amazing to actually do this project.

Alta

Unlike the Empress, who is in a beautiful, fertile garden, her consort, the Emperor, is in a forbidding, barren looking place. It overflows with Mars/Aries energy. Not much fun to color.
Interesting that you are having emotional reactions to the colours. probably why this was developed, makes you feel the cards, not just understand them intellectually. This is getting more and more intriguing.