Major Tom's Tarot of Marseilles

Major Tom

Bob - For now, I'm more interested in capturing tarot in a modern style. RWS style illustrations seems restrictive somehow. Perhaps sometime in the future I could do those RWS illustrations in my 'woodcut' style of illustration. Sales aren't a huge concern yet. ;)

Karen - Interesting you find yourself feeling sorry for everyone in the card.

Mari - Thanks very much for the links. :) I'd encountered the first when I was working on the Pope. I found the crowd around him very informative. The second link is absolutely super!

Hudson Gray - :laugh:

Maralee - Your comments are incredibly useful. Thanks.

Rota - A very practical suggestion. I'll look into it. The style would benefit from some heavier lines. :)

M-Press

Hi Tom!
I'm glad you wanted to know what we thought "love or hate"!
This is because my first reaction was that I kind of "hated" it, or better put, it didn't interest me. But that was because I didn't get it!
The more I saw (i love the HP by the way!), the more I got into, and found it really interesting. I love Mareilles by the way...
The only thing i could add, is that you can even take it further (Hudson's suggestion for hairy Empress legs????-just a thought!)
On the other hand, maybe it is these little twists that are not completely an eye-ball, that work on a more elgant level?

Only thoughts....
Can't wait to see more!
:)

Major Tom

M-Press said:
The more I saw (i love the HP by the way!), the more I got into, and found it really interesting.

On the other hand, maybe it is these little twists that are not completely an eye-ball, that work on a more elgant level?

Thanks for this. :)

I think this is related to what Rota was saying about another tool, and that sort of thing would be easier with a thicker line. I just bought another roller ball and I've found an italic felt tip pen....

I'd like to find a 4H pencil and pencil eraser that doesn't leave a smudge if anyone has any suggestions...

Aoife

Tom, have you thought about carving your own lino blocks to achieve a more authentic woodblock effect?

spoonbender

Hey Major Tom,
Just wanted to jump in and tell you that I'm really starting to like your deck. I have to admit that, at first, I wasn't a big fan of the cards, but they are appealing to me more every time. I think they are quite funny - and I mean that in a good way, it's not like they are ridiculous, but they make me smile.
My favourite cards so far are the Conjuror and Love, especially that last one is really nice. I'm still not too sure about the High Priestess, though. What made you decide to dress her like that?

Definitely keep up the good work!

Many regards,
Spoonbender

Major Tom

Aoife said:
Tom, have you thought about carving your own lino blocks to achieve a more authentic woodblock effect?

I did think about it. Producing cards at the rate of one per week means that I would have time to do little else.

spoonbender said:
I'm still not too sure about the High Priestess, though. What made you decide to dress her like that?

My goal is to produce a Marseilles style tarot showing the people in modern dress. The High Priestess is dressed as she is because of something Umbrae said in this thread.

Destiny

Opinion

Originally posted by Lady Eclipse

Please remember that the forthcoming critique is just my opinion. It is intended to be helpful so please do not take it the wrong way.

The Empress also looks far too masculine. Again, I feel she needs some feminine touches ....

I think your brave! M.Tom I also feel the same and a little sad too, BUT just remember MY opinion.

**YOU DON'T NEED ANYONES OPINION TO VAILDATE YOUR WORK**

But I'd thought I'd give you mine!

If you saw a deck that didn't appeal you, it doen't mean that others won't love it, that's why I never read deck/book/film reviews as it's just the webmasters/papers opinion at the end of the day!

May I ask if you plan to sell you cards when done or is it a personal project?

I know from myself and others that tarotpeople can be their worst critique.

:*

Major Tom

Re: Opinion

Destiny said:
May I ask if you plan to sell you cards when done or is it a personal project?

If there appears to be enough interest I will sell the cards. :)

I present my latest effort, The Chariot:

I'm interested in everyone's opinion.

Attachments

• vii the chariot.jpg
    vii the chariot.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 164

Imagemaker

I love "reading" your cards as they appear. It's great how "your" project brings us all in :)

The faces on the shoulders made me think of those cartoons of a person trying to make a decision who has a tiny devil on one shoulder and a tiny angel on the other, trying to convince him to follow their advice. Your drawing is very true to our position between choices, in other words!

Seeing the tiny horses immediately made me think of "horsepower" in a car, as they are clearly not big enough to pull this vehicle. That conveys your "modern dress" intent, perhaps?

The vehicle structure itself looks like a podium (and has wheels sideways to the horses' direction, which makes them seem decorative), so it made me think of the Chariot as a vehicle for communicating our will and control. On some cards, the Charioteer's mouth is open as though he were singing or calling--so this communication metaphor works in that way, too.

Just one viewer's thoughts.

Major Tom

Imagemaker said:
I love "reading" your cards as they appear. It's great how "your" project brings us all in :)

Thanks for this.

I was wondering if the horses weren't too small. They didn't look that small on the A4 size drawing. You comments help me realise that they are just right. :)