wiccked stepmother tarot project

rabble

I said when I started making cards for Kittaine's tarot deck that I wanted to make my own now.

I've started. It's an exciting process, and I'm somewhat unsure about posting this, but I've been convinced by my daughter and my friend.

So, here is my deck in progress - the wiccked stepmother tarot project

Be gentle, please :)

Kahlie

Very nice Rabble

I rather liked many of the cards.
Some comments:

Sometimes part of the card doesn't blend with the other, like the bounty in the Empress Card, while in the Hermit and Temperance the card has a more complete feel. I know that's it's really hard to add things into cards and make it look like a whole instead of different parts. I just hope you can find a way to make it look more a whole.

Writing in the background is really nice, and gives it some unique feel, like the card is trying to impart knowledge :)

For the fool, I'm a bit disappointed that many people view him only as an idiot, something that has been added only later to the Tarot Meanings (Is what we *think*)
I'm more for the Fool being the Journeyman, the new beginning, etc. etc.

DEFINATLY post updates here on you deck, so I can keep an eye on it :) Oh, and plz, think of a more flattering name for yourself =)

rabble

Thank you Kahlie! That is just the sort of feedback I was hoping for. :)

These are all first "drafts" - some may never be changed, others might. But yes, I see what you mean about the bounty - and I agree. It doesn't blend. It isn't part of the whole like the parts of the other cards are. I'll have to work on that some more.

That photo of my daughter was taken while she was in (very early) labour with her daughter. She did have clothes on though ;)

Eco74

Oh Rabble...

I am so glad you decided to post the link and put your work out there. And the wordplay with "wiccked" is really fancy. ;)

(If you didn't intend it, well, it's still very much there so don't fret.)

I'll definately follow your example when I get further with my own plans. Right now, I don't even know what style to go for, or if color or linedrawing is the way to go.
Though linedrawings can be painted at any time...

I'll be keeping an eye on this project of yours for sure. :)

(Edited to correct spelling...)

CreativeFire

Way to go, rabble! :) Great to see that you have posted the link to your site.

Your Temperance card is my still my favourite! . . . but your new Moon card is very interesting and different - I like it!

I will continue to look forward to your new cards as you add to your deck. ;)

I am going to get brave real soon myself . . . I think :eek:

CreativeFire

rabble

Thank you, Eco, and CreativeFire.

Eco, the play on wiccked is on purpose. And Kahlie, that name came about as a family joke. I've made my own greetings cards for many many years. One year, on my step-childrens cards, I wrote on the back, in place of my usual "melanie made it", "wicked stepmother card company".

The play on that original one being that these days wicked tends to be a synonym for cool, rather than bad.
But then, when I wanted to register my business name and my domain name, I couldn't get wicked, so the second c was a natural progression. Now wicked looks wrong - wiccked seems to be a much more natural way to spell that word!

And, I've also had a bit more of a play with the empress, and softened her bounty a bit. I like the reworked one much better.
CF.. you should get brave. You have nothing to fear :)

Kahlie

AH, ok, I understand the joke, but still...
I want to heap more flattery on you ;)

Woah! You changed The Empress so fast, but yes, it looks a lot more natural now =)

baba-prague

Oh yes, I thought The Empress was a bit too "worked" too. But you have done a LOT of work here - very nice to see. Keep going please!

CreativeFire

hey rabble, just saw your 'Hanged One' - awesome shot! :) You can even see the hairs on his back - oooh. Inspired idea for the card. ;)

CreativeFire

rabble

Thanks, CreativeFire. Isn't he horrible? :)

And thanks baba-prague. I'm much happier with the softened Empress.
And thank you too, Kahlie :)

Like CreativeFire said in the thread for her deck, this really is an exciting, addictive, learning process. And I'm loving it!