Golden Dawn Hebrew before c. 1900

Ross G Caldwell

Adolphe Bertet*, as a disciple of Levi's, *most famous probably for his Apocalypse du bienheureux Jean dévoilée, ou, Divulgation de la doctrine secrète du christianisme*,(which, according to some sources, led to him being silenced by his contempories), in which he uses kabbalah and the tarot to undertake a verse by verse exegesis of St. John's Revelations.

The book is available here in PDF, for those interested -

http://books.google.fr/books?id=UUJVAAAAcAAJ&printsec=frontcover&hl=fr#v=onepage&q&f=false

I'm disappointed that he doesn't assign a specific Hebrew letter to each chapter; at least I see no such correspondence explicitly made on a first reading. Levi didn't do it either, although he notes the 22 chapters of the Apocalypse in chapter XXII of Rituel, and implies a fuller connection.

The best I can say is that Bertet implies as well that it is the same order as the Hebrew alphabet, and therefore as the Tarot trumps (with Fool=Shin), but a reader has to read between the lines to get it.

kwaw

..I'm still trying to work out why this might have been the case for the French - was is that the study of the Bible was less important, that the information on the Hebrew language not as accessible? Looking for pre-1850s French information on the Hebrew alphabet leads to grammars, such as the Grammaire comparée des langues bibliques. Application des découvertes de Champollion à l'étude des langues dans laquelles ont été écrits les livres saints (1853) which repeat and justify the traditional, Jerome style interpretations, and are not in keeping with what was commonplace in German and English philology - as represented in the Larousse "Alphabet" article, for instance.

A search on pre-1860 french texts for 'aleph' and 'boeuf' shows there were some that gave that meaning, such as Considéré Dans Les Origines Latines; Ou Dictionnaire Étymologique De La Langue Latine ... Premiere Partie: 1779 for example: and the following as another example states 'it has long been recognized' :

"... il aurait fallu noter que le mot aleph signifie aussi le bœuf, et qu’on a depuis longtemps reconnu et qu’on reconnaît toujours une resssemblance assez remarquable entre les différents signes sémitiques qui représentent la lettre A, et la tete du bœuf. Cette ressemblance ou analogie de la forme avec le nom dans la langue Hébraïque, est frappante en plusieurs lettres de l alphabet carré, dont la tradition hébraïque vante l ancienneté: par exemple, la BETH, une maison, la WAW, un crochet, la DALETH une porte ou battant de porte, la AIN, un œil etc."

Examen critique de l'ouvrage intitulé: analyse grammaticale raisonnée de différents textes anciens égyptiens Frans Salvolini, Rouvier et Le Bouvier, 1838

Ross G Caldwell

A search on pre-1860 french texts for 'aleph' and 'boeuf' shows there were some that gave that meaning, such as Considéré Dans Les Origines Latines; Ou Dictionnaire Étymologique De La Langue Latine ... Premiere Partie: 1779 for example: and the following as another example states 'it has long been recognized' :

"... il aurait fallu noter que le mot aleph signifie aussi le bœuf, et qu’on a depuis longtemps reconnu et qu’on reconnaît toujours une resssemblance assez remarquable entre les différents signes sémitiques qui représentent la lettre A, et la tete du bœuf. Cette ressemblance ou analogie de la forme avec le nom dans la langue Hébraïque, est frappante en plusieurs lettres de l alphabet carré, dont la tradition hébraïque vante l ancienneté: par exemple, la BETH, une maison, la WAW, un crochet, la DALETH une porte ou battant de porte, la AIN, un œil etc."

Examen critique de l'ouvrage intitulé: analyse grammaticale raisonnée de différents textes anciens égyptiens Frans Salvolini, Rouvier et Le Bouvier, 1838

Great! Then Levi and co. have even less excuse.

I'm not trying to prove that French scholarship didn't know it, I'm trying to understand why French Tarotists didn't. And if they did, they certainly didn't care.

kwaw

Great! Then Levi and co. have even less excuse.

I'm not trying to prove that the "French" didn't know it, I'm trying to understand why French Tarotists didn't. And if they did, they certainly didn't care.

They don't seem to have cared, no. Even if they weren't familiar or interested with modern philology, it is a wonder they didn't know of such meanings from previous cabalists, such as Claude Duret for example, who in his Thresor de l'histoire des langues de cest vniuers, etc., 1619., gave these meanings of the letters (aleph, ox; gimel camel, etc).

Ross G Caldwell

They don't seem to have cared, no. Even if they weren't familiar or interested with modern philology, it is a wonder they didn't know of such meanings from previous cabalists, such as Claude Duret for example, who in his Thresor de l'histoire des langues de cest vniuers, etc., 1619., gave these meanings of the letters (aleph, ox; gimel camel, etc).

Exactly. What I want to know is what it implies about French tarotism. Why was it like this, what explains it? The brief answer appears to be that Levi started it, and his followers ran with it, solely as Tarotists, while in the English context this tradition became known in the context of an order founded not on Tarotism, but on synthesizing esotericism in general.

The question could be posed in this way:

Why did the French public not know what French scholarship knew?
Why did the English public know what English scholarship knew?

Scholars of Hebrew and philologists in general would read English, French, German and Latin publications. They all knew. An English reader could go to just about any source after 1820 and get what those philologists knew about the meanings of the Hebrew letter names.
But French readers, up to at least the Larousse in 1864, still found sources that didn't mention Aleph-Ox or Gimel-Camel (and by Wirth, still found sources that used obscure definitions like Qoph-Monkey and Tet-Mud). And Tarotism was born in this chaotic phase, in French. The French school ran with what they got from Levi, and expanded upon it, but they never revisited the standard philological conclusions as represented in the Larousse. The Hebrew letter meanings had become irrelevant for French Tarotists.

The meanings of the Hebrew alphabet formed a symbolic core for the English esoteric Tarot, while for the French esoteric Tarot they were little more than footnotes, occasionally a springboard for speculation, if they were even mentioned at all.

Ross G Caldwell

Okay, I have to slow down a bit. Could you be more precise with the Duret reference? The conversation has changed to when scholars knew of such definitions for the names.

Duret's book -
http://www.bvh.univ-tours.fr/Consul...101_D25&numfiche=1058&mode=3&offset=4&ecran=0

- is very big, I certainly have just heard of it and haven't read every page. He seems to give a summary account of many systems of meaning for dozens of alphabets. For Hebrew, the main one I see is on page 214, Les significances des charactères Hebraiques:

Aleph - La voye ou Institution
Beth - La Maison
Gimel - La retribution
Daleth - La porte
He - Ecce
Vau - Le hauet crochu
Zain - Les armes
Heth - L'espoventement
Teth - L'evitation
Iod - La confession de louange
Caph - La paulme de la main
Lamed - La doctrine
Mem - L'Eau
Nun - La filiation
Samech - L'Apposition
Ain - L'oeil
Pe - La bouche
Tsadi - Les costez
Coph - La revolution ou circuit
Res - L'Indigence
Schin - La dent
Thau - Le Signe

Most of those are traditional. No "boeuf" for Aleph or "chameau" for Gimel, but I'll trust you to tell me where they are.

Looking up the unusual word "havet crochu", I found that Lhôte reproduces this list in Histoire des jeux de société (Flammarion, 1994) p. 221, along with the more traditional (Jerome) meanings, and attributes it to a commentary on Psalm 119 (118) by Blaise de Vigenère, 1588 (not sure which part of the list, however).

Added later:

Blaise de Vigenère's Traicté des chiffres, ou secretes manieres d'escrire (1587)
http://books.google.fr/books?id=aKYpMQBU69QC&dq="blaise+de+vigenère"&hl=fr&source=gbs_navlinks_s
- page 91, gives the identical chart of Hebrew letters with meanings as Duret; in fact much is the same between the books, so Duret clearly borrowed liberally from de Vigenère.

kwaw

p.140

books

Like Wirth he gives'singe' (monkey) for qoph - different for teth though.

Ross G Caldwell

p.140

books

Like Wirth he gives'singe' (monkey) for qoph - different for teth though.

Very good.

"aucuns autres Rabins ont donné une simple interpretation..."

Aleph - Boeuf
Beth - Maison
Gimel - Chameau
Daleth - Porte
He - de ver punique
Vau - Clou pointu
Zain - Fleche
Heth - Beste à quatre pieds
Theth - Enveloppoit
Iod - Main
Caph - Paulme
Lamech - Eguillon
Mem - Macule
Nun - Poisson
Sameth - Baze
Ain - Fontaine
Pe - Bouche
Tsadi - Hameçon
Coph - Singe
Res - Teste
Schin - Dent
Thau - Voix, terme ou borne

He also lists others.

I suppose the answer to the question why Levi and other Cabalists (presuming any even looked this deeply into it) didn't follow this interpretation is that it is given in the context of others, not as an authoritative list.

Thau is way off, even disagreeing with the dominant tradition where it is correct (and it was, in many places, like Bet-House, Dalet-Door, Samekh-Support, Ayin-Eye, Pe-Mouth, Resh-Head, Shin-Tooth and Tau-Sign, Mark, etc.).

But Aleph, Gimel, Vau, Nun and Tzaddi are surprisingly correct. It would be extremely interesting to know who this particular "other Rabbi" was.

Ross G Caldwell

It would be extremely interesting to know who this particular "other Rabbi" was.

Duret offers some names -

Rabbis:

Akiba Rabi Juda
Marinus Samuel Nagid
Abraham Aben Ezra
Jacob Cohen

Rabbi?
Jean Cheradame

Nagid rings a bell, and Ibn Ezra is famous of course, but this is too deep for our purposes, although if anyone has anything to offer on these guys I'd be happy to hear it.

kwaw

Many seem spot on, others close:

Aleph Bœuf - Ox
Beth Maison - House
Gimel Chameau - Camel
Daleth porte - Door
He de ver punique - ?
Vâu Clou pointu – Sharp nail
Zain fleche - Arrow
Heth beste à quatre pieds – Four-legged animals
Theth enveloppoit - Envelope, wrap, inclosed
Iod maine -Hand
Caph paulme – Palm of the hand
Lamed eguillon – To prick, sting,
Mem macule – Blemish, stain,spot
Nun poisson - Fish
Samech baze – Base, foundation
Ain fontaine - Fountain
Pe bouche - Mouth
Tsade hameçon - Hook
Coph singe - Monkey
Res teste - Head
Shin dent - Tooth
Thau voix, terme, ou borne – Voice, Term, Terminal

Eguiillon - prick, sting could be related to spur, goad.
Heth - I have seen listed as an enclosure for cattle (has the animals here, but not the fence, enclosure)
I have no idea what verpunique means (Carthagian/Punic worm! :)