Can the faeries take animal form?

Alissa

I'm quite convinced that faeries can take various animal/insect forms but it can be damn hard to tell the difference without seeing some behavior from the animal that doesn't fit their normal patterns (just as you describe with your frog).

There have been times in the dead of winter, and I mean not a day over 30 degress for 6+ weeks on the mountaintop, when I've suddenly seen a hugeass black fly buzzing around my house and gone "hmmmmmmmm that ain't no fly, that's a faery" to myself.

I've seen a butterfly stick around to play with my son when he was a toddler, chasing him and then letting him chase her, for literally almost an hour... butterflies don't do this for an hour, they might flit about in a playful fashion but after a minute or two, five at most, they're gone. This one never left the yard and kept landing on him and then fluttering around his face while he giggled and clumsily tried to catch her. She'd fly a few feet away, and then hover right back. Not once or twice, but yeah... for almost an hour. It was amazing.

I've had a cricket jumping on my foot on the day I pulled the Bodacious Bodach for my faery card and "just know" that it was Bodach saying hello with his capricious, leaping energy.

And I've secretly marvelled at how certain spiders (a personal totem of mine) will show up at the strangest points in time and places, not to mention how many times ravens (my primary totem) have dropped by to give me messages. Faeries in animal form? I can never say for sure, but when you live on the mountain for as many years as I have, you come to realize there are your average animal sightings... and then, there are moments that somehow transcend the average.

But I've always been a believer... and I don't mind if the "normals" think I'm daft. ;)

pippi

Alissa, I loved reading your post! Thank you for sharing your experiences. That feeling you got with the cricket/Bodacious Bodach is just how I felt today with the frog. It's like I just *knew* it was him! :)

I thought I'd share a photo of the frog in my son's hand (with a comparative image of O! That Gnome next to the photo).

pippi

Major Tom said:
I heard someone mention a toad and what a charming story it is too. :)

Ya'll almost convince me I should get a Faerie Oracle. I've been dithering about it for years.

Will the enablers please stand to the left and the un-enablers to the right?

I'll be on the left! :) Ya know, I had absolutely no interest in this deck for the longest time. I couldn't see what all the hoopla was about. But then one day, I had this sudden, very bizarre, *need* to buy it, and I don't know why! I absolutely love it...it's really unlike anything else out there.

I say dither no longer, Major Tom! Take the faery plunge! :)

memries

The photo is amazing Pipp ! It made me laugh. Both faces were being a bit squashed. I can see why you would think that. The World is an amazing place. Thanks for sharing.

celticnoodle

Oh Pippi! What a delightful story! I loved reading it, and yes, I do believe that fairies can turn into whatever they please--an animal or a rock, a leaf, whatever they want to!

Now, that said, I am also in agreement, that if anyone else other then most of the people here heard me say that, they'd also think I was off my rocker too! But, at least we may keep each other company at the funny farm with our stories.

I recall my grandmother, when she was older, and considered to be 'senile' use to often talk about the fairies and the little men in pointy green hats that were always with her. At the time, we sort of grinned and spoke pleasantly to her about it, not believing a word of it, but now, thinking back on that, I believe it was true.

How wonderful that "O That Gnome" was able to show up for you by allowing your son to capture (even with a slight struggle at doing so) him! :laugh: I think this is precious and I love this story! Keep your eyes open to other fairy happenings, because once one starts they all try to out do each other! I think you & your kids are in for a weekend of fun & surprises! :D

pippi said:
First of all, after typing that thread title, I had to laugh at how grateful I am for having AT as an outlet. If I had posed that question to anyone in my life, besides my children, they would think I was completely off my rocker.

This morning I pulled O! That Gnome as my daily companion. I had a lot of first impressions about him, but one of the first was the way he was squatting. It felt as though he might, at any moment, leap out at me like a frog. A few minutes later as I was typing up my notes to my blog, my son comes in the house, very excited, announcing he had caught a frog! Now, he catches toads all the time, but I think he has only seen a frog here once before.

My son said that this particular frog was oddly very hard to catch. This seemed characteristic of O! That Gnome, so I immediately looked at the card leaning against my computer monitor, and wondered if this gnome had paid us a visit in frog form. The fact that my son caught a rare frog at the very time I was writing my thoughts about this gnome seeming frog-like to me was very ironic! Strangely, I just automatically assumed it was the gnome, despite knowing anything about such things.

Does anyone know anything about faeries being able to take animal form? I have seen a few of the female faeries in the deck with frog legs, so I was hoping someone here had some insight to share?

edited to add: the pic of the frog does strongly resemble O That Gnome, doesn't it? :laugh:

Alissa

pippi said:
Alissa, I loved reading your post! Thank you for sharing your experiences. That feeling you got with the cricket/Bodacious Bodach is just how I felt today with the frog. It's like I just *knew* it was him! :)

I thought I'd share a photo of the frog in my son's hand (with a comparative image of O! That Gnome next to the photo).
OMG that photo literally made me start laughing as well... I totally think you nailed that one as well... O THAT Frog!

edited to add" is it just me, or does anyone else see how they both have exactly the same smile to their faery/froggy lips?

faerylvr

How delightful. I generally see them in their "true" form, however I fully believe that they can manifest in whatever form best suits what we need at the time. When my kitty had to be put down last year (he was 23) a collective of pixies joined me in the form of some butterflies as I was driving home from the vet. I knew it was them... and they were reassuring me that my kitty was well taken care of. They spoke to me, just as they would have if the card had been in the seat, and yet they were brightly colored and very much right next to me. So I definately see O' That Gnome in the frog that your son brought to you. How wonderful that he chose to show himself to the both of you.

Alissa

Major Tom said:

Ya'll almost convince me I should get a Faerie Oracle. I've been dithering about it for years.

Do it, Papa! :)

faerylvr

Major Tom said:

I'm on the left... I think is by far the most responsive deck I own... each one is a life and party all of its own... and as you can see, I completely believe :D

moderndayruth

Major Tom said:

Do it, Major Tom :D

*mdr is waving from the huge group of enablers on the left*