The Sefirot and the Divine Plan

firecatpickles

The next article in the series is called "Prayer, Study & the Ten Sephirot", found at http://www.aish.com/spirituality/kabbala101/Kabbala_5_-_Prayer3_Study_and_the_Ten_Sefirot.asp

Though certainly interesting to read, I am not sure if it exactly aids our study of the Kabbala in the context of this Forum.

Moving on the the next article, to me at least, proves of better interest :)

http://www.aish.com/spirituality/kabbala101/Kabbala_6_-_The_Sefirot_and_the_Divine_Plan.asp

I have used this numerological approach in readings with good success lately:

The planning of the deed: Chochmah (wisdom), Binah, (understanding), and Daat (knowledge).

The substance of the deed itself: Chesed (kindness), Gevurah (strength), and Tiferet (beauty).

The practical implication of the deed: Netzach (victory), and Hod (awe).

The enactment (or transfer) of the deed: Yesod (foundation).

The enacted deed: Malchut (kingship).

Let us take these groups individually, and get some feel for their significance.

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=92866

firecatpickles

I ran across this quote doing my daily Thoth reading yesterday.

From the Book of Thoth, Crowley:

"The number Ten, Malkuth, as always, represents the culmination of the unmitigated energy of the idea."

jmd

Malkut, being the tenth Sefirah, is not the same as the number ten (which in Hebrew is Yod).

I do like, however, your use of Malkut as 'the enacted deed' - a very apt description!

firecatpickles

jmd said:
Malkut, being the tenth Sefirah, is not the same as the number ten (which in Hebrew is Yod).

The quote I provided is from the Book of Thoth. I think there is a misconception, and a misuse of the Tree of Life's terminology that I would like to point out. Hebrew Numerology is often confused with the Utterances and vice versa.

Your feeling is how I feel about the actual numbers, also. I mean, Crowley is an important tarot history figure, I don't think anyone would dispute that, but to say that the number 10 is "Malkuth" "always" seems a bit too cut and dried to me.

Same with "Keter" as the 1 or Ace. Isn't "aleph" "one"? Isn't Keter the entire system, inclusive?

firecatpickles

jmd said:
I do like, however, your use of Malkut as 'the enacted deed' - a very apt description!

I can't take credit for it. This is provided in the article I linked :) by Rabbi Lieberman.

moderndayruth

kilts_knave said:
Same with "Keter" as the 1 or Ace. Isn't "aleph" "one"? Isn't Keter the entire system, inclusive?
I can relate Keter, being the seed level of Creation with Aces, it makes sense to me.
I am quite desparate in attributing Hebrew Letters though...
Aleph is the first letter, represents number one, though it makes no sound of it's own in a word and Bible itself begins with second letter, Beit, not the first one.
Aleph does begin the word for Divine Unity, Echad, and the first of God's name in the Bible - Elochim, as well as the 'esoteric' name Ein Sof (Infinite).
:confused:

firecatpickles

moderndayruth said:
Aleph is the first letter, represents number one, though it makes no sound of it's own in a word and Bible itself begins with second letter, Beit, not the first one.
The aleph represents the ineffible, but does not mean that it is not there. I think you answered it when you mention the Sh'ma. G-d is quite literally "one", but though the name of G-d is itself unpronouncable and inconceivable does not mean the G-d is not there!

The first use of the Aleph is part of the verb "to be": [size=+2]ברא[/size], which implies movement and action, not sound.

firecatpickles

Just as a hunch, I wanted to see what the last phrase of the Hebrew Bible was:

Chronicles 2 1:18 Now Solomon purposed to build a house for the name of the LORD, and a house for his kingdom.

Not only is the word for house used (i.e., the first letter of the Bible), "Beit", but also the word for Kingdom, "Malkuth":

[size=+2] ובית למלכותו[/size], or habeit lemalkhuto. :)