Shelter Dog Tarot

DraagonStorm

Hi all

Well I was showing a friend my SpiroTarot (she's not that into Tarot that much, just know's it exists). This friend is a leader on the volunteer committee of our local private Animal Shelter here in Las Vegas. This shelter 'The Lied Animal Shelter', is having what they call a 'Best In Show', where they do an 'AKC' type of dog show, for the shelter dogs. During the show there is a silent auction, and also booths to sell items, where most of the proceeds go to the shelter.

A long story short, she asked me if I would design a Tarot Deck for the shelter, using dogs from the shelter, and I said that I would love to. (She's going to find a local printer, to donate printing this deck out, I'm hoping to talk to the printer, and maybe getting some kind of a deal on getting my SpiroTarot printed out at the same time.) Well, I have finished the minor arcana, and waiting for pictures from my friend, so we can pick out the right dogs for the major arcana -- Lab/Mix for the Fool, Great Pyrennees/Mix for The Emperor or maybe The Hierophant... you get the drift. I do think I've the Devil, he/she just has that look to me, but I'll see when I get the pictures from her.

This is just a simple deck.......and I would love to hear your opinions of what I've done so far....

http://www.draagonstorm.com

Bright Blessings
DraagonStorm

DraagonStorm

Oh by the way:

tails = wands
paws = cups
noses = swords
bones = coins/penticles

BB
DraagonStorm

DraagonStorm

OK, this is a bump.

Please I really would like some feed back! this deck will be printed out, and sold for the dogs and cats in the shelter! Any suggestions to help the animals!

BB
DraagonStorm

Major Tom

Please be patient and give folks a chance to respond. :)

I think it's a brilliant idea and wish you every bit of luck with it.

If it's going to sell it will sell because it has photos of dogs and supports the shelter and not because it's a tarot deck. So I wonder if we shouldn't see the whole dog on all the cards?

Perhaps you could edit the background out of the photos and then put the dog into another scene altogether?

These are only ideas. You've got a good start.

DraagonStorm

Thank you for the response, I guess I'm a bit anxious.....

BB
DraagonStorm

jackdaw*

I like it.

It's a worthwhile cause, and a lovely idea. I like your cards so far.

Maybe a "type" of dog per suit? You know, lapdogs for Cups, hunting dogs for Coins, working dogs for Swords and just plain pets for Wands? Or something like that ... I don't know.

Be patient ... it's a Sunday morning! Give us a chance to wake up :) and we will respond!

QofP

Netzach

I think this is a great idea and I love the suits of tails, noses, paws and bones. Great fun.

Major Tom said:
If it's going to sell it will sell because it has photos of dogs and supports the shelter and not because it's a tarot deck. So I wonder if we shouldn't see the whole dog on all the cards?

Perhaps you could edit the background out of the photos and then put the dog into another scene altogether?

However, I agree with Major Tom - the background is intrusive and some of the dog pictures are not clear enough. Why not just have the picture of the whole dog on a plain coloured background?

Also, do the dogs have names? If so, how about putting the appropriate name on each card, rather in the way of the Rohrig or the Thoth deck?

cesara

What a wonderful idea! Can I take them all home? *grin* I am a HUGE dog lover so this project is certainly appealling to me! Great job!

I do agree that the backgrounds are a little intrusive and take away from those beautiful little faces. I think full body shots would be great...especially in the majors.

I also like the idea of putting their names on each card...that way, if someone sees the deck and falls in love with a face, they know who to ask for when they go to the shelter (given that the dog isn't already adopted out...hehe)

A great project all around....I can't wait to see how it turns out! Best of luck!

DraagonStorm

Thank you for the suggestions, I'm hoping for some better pictures from my friend tomorrow, the pictures I used where from their website.

I really respect all of your opinions, you guys have much more experience in art and tarot then I do!

BB
DraagonStorm

DraagonStorm

I had suggested using their names to my friend, but she really didn't like that idea. The show is in mid June, and hopefully these dogs that are on the cards will have allready gotten a new home by then! :)

BB
DraagonStorm